closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Roof Box and roof bars recommendations

Roof Box and roof bars recommendations

I have a 2018 VW passat estate with 'flush roof rails', I was given a roof box and some roof bars from a friend (who didn't know what was what as her now departed husband sorted all that).

To my mind I thought this would be a an easy job to sort.... no, the bars and fittings do not fit my car/roof rails, the roof box, I believe is a halfords 'exodus', has been a pain to open and close using the key and uses a 'u' clamp for fitting to the bars, which seems a faf.

So, I have decided to get rid of/donate what she gave me and purchase a new one. I have looked online and Thule and Kamei look good with easy locking of the box to the roof bars.

Does the collective have any experience or suggestions of a simple and smart looking system - roof bars/fittings and box?

Blog Entries
    Thule works okay. You need 3 items: 1: a pair of bars, 2: the appropriate 'feet' and 3: the rubbers, grommets and bolds to connect it to the car. Look closely what you need. When changing cars, it's often only #3 that you need or #2 and 3.

Box: I have one that opens at the back. Safe when you drive: it cannot flip open at the front; the hinges are there. But when you have a long (stretched) car, it can be a pain to get behind the vehicle and reach for the lock of the box that's somewhere halfway above the roof. In that case, I would opt for a box that opens at the side. Make sure its lock sits at the 'safe side': not that you're on the hard shoulder of the motorway between your car and passing cars!!!

Modern cars often have fixed positions where to attach the bars: you can only install them on the car with a pre-set distance apart. Check if the box you're after has the same positions (or is adjustable) when you want to install the u-bolts around the bars and onto the box. Older boxes have holes that are further apart. Eg. I was unable to install my 10 y/o Thule box on the roof of my VW Up! the position of the bars and the holes in the bottom of the box didn't line up.

Craftsman
    Just to throw another brand in the mix: Yakima (formerly known as Whispbar). I’ve had the same cross bars across three different cars via different footpacks and they’ve been perfect. Easily the quietest bars I’ve used over Thule e.t.c.

They looked smart and were also lower profile than the other brands. I even leave them on all the time just for convenience.

Only downside is odd pricing - sometimes they’re more expensive that Uber Thules often cheaper. You need to keep an eye out.

I have a Kamei which seem excellent.

Got it here - https://www.roofbox.co.uk/

When you get them, can I borrow them in early August for a week ? 😁
    Cheers..
    Jase

We have a huge grey 'Halfords' side opening box, it's been atop the V70 and and A class Mercedes up and down Europe many a time, hardly "a faff" to fit, easy to use and substantially cheaper than a Thule or similar, not so much of a fashion accessory more of a roof box.
    Last edited by number2; 4th June 2020 at 17:57.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    I'd recommend checking out the original VW roof bars. I recently bought some for my VW Touran and they were only marginally more expensive than the aftermarket ones. They're T-Track compatible too so I fit my thule cycle carriers without using the ugly clamps.

Thanks for the replies, some useful information

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    When you get them, can I borrow them in early August for a week ? 
    You can come and get the one I have including the roof bars, need a catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    We have a huge grey 'Halfords' side opening box, it's been atop the V70 and and A class Mercedes up and down Europe many a time, hardly "a faff" to fit, easy to use and substantially cheaper than a Thule or similar, not so much of a fashion accessory more of a roof box.
    Sorry Number 2, but it is a faff, the lock works when it feels like it and the U clamps not convenient, but glad you are getting the most out of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I'd recommend checking out the original VW roof bars. I recently bought some for my VW Touran and they were only marginally more expensive than the aftermarket ones. They're T-Track compatible too so I fit my thule cycle carriers without using the ugly clamps.
    Just checked and you're right, they are comparable price wise, the car is going in for a service with VW next week I will get a quote

Craftsman
    I've had a Thule Atlantis 780 roof box for the last 6 years. Easy to install on the roof bars, can open both sides and the key only comes out if the box is locked properly. Can highly recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    True! As I found out for my VW UP! (Although a set for the 3 Series BMW my wife had back then, was nearly 50% cheaper than VW's).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvWatch View Post
    I have decided to get rid of/donate what she gave me and purchase a new one.
    Good luck with your quest.
    I see you are in Suffolk and so am i (IP12) If you fancy donating the old one in my direction it would be very much appreciated. just pm me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I have a Kamei which seem excellent.

Got it here - https://www.roofbox.co.uk/
    I have a Kamei that I bought from them, it's been brilliant. As are roofbox.co.uk, very helpful people.

Craftsman
    I’ve got a Halfords Exodus. Tricky at first but once you’ve used it a couple of times it’s pretty straight forward. Happy with ours.

I used the roofbox.co.uk site a few years ago and found them to be excellent, very good value. Enter your car details and they'll suggest appropriate fixings etc. I got a hapro box for the wife's golf, and it's a good quality box for the money.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk