closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Citroen 2cv - advice re Pros and Cons.

Citroen 2cv - advice re Pros and Cons.

I have searched within the G & D forum though cannot find any relevant material to assist so hence this new thread.

Please bear with me on this as I certainly am no mechanic and haven't the foggiest on what to look for though I have time on my hands and am willing to learn, (also the local garage is only 6kms away).

I retired in July 2019 and together with my wife am currently living just outside the small mountain village of Bedar, Almeria, Spain, we now have residencia and both feel settled with the area and lifestyle so hopefully will be staying permanently.

We have a Honda CRV which I am really happy with though I am toying with the idea of also having a small day to day run about, thus a LHD Citroen 2cv.

I would really appreciate any information/tips/pitfalls, good or bad and any images any that of you may have of this vehicle.

Thanks.

Keith.

If you are willing to put up with the 2CV general uselessness, have a look at getting a Mehari instead, which uses the same mechanicals, but in a sort of mini moke type of body. Loads of character.
    I always thought if we went off to live in the sun, that's what I would drive to the market to stock up on trays of ripe peaches etc etc.
    Dave

Master
    Never had one but a true design classic!

I found this forum which might be worth a trawl to add to whatever members here have to offer:

https://www.2cvgb.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Have you seen what Meharis go for? Outrageous!

Cheers,

Plug

Meharis are great but are getting VERY expensive.
    2CVs are fantastic cars with a massive caveat: provided you don't ask them to be something they are not.

Mechanically they are very simple. The chassis rots so get a car with a galvanised one. Earlier cars are more valuable to collectors, later one are a bit more able to keep up with traffic. Remember that power and brakes are from a different era, and the turning circle is only marginally smaller than that of a super tanker.

All parts are easily available new or second hand (please note: I said "easily", not "freely", on purpose!)
    This is possibly the best resource on this topic: https://www.mehariclub.com/en/
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Thanks Gents,

Just seen a 1977 beige coloured Mehari for sale on a Spanish website, €12,000.00.

Really nice.
    Last edited by carlyrox; 4th June 2020 at 14:18.

Master
    2CV bulletproof, they do 2CV endurance racing.
    You can jack them up or lower them down easily.
    I had a Bamboo model, used to take seats out fill with rubbish go to tip remove doors & sweep everything out.
    Seats held in with pins so for the Touring Car, SBK etc ideal & light.

Quote Originally Posted by carlyrox View Post
    I have searched within the G & D forum though cannot find any relevant material to assist so hence this new thread.

Please bear with me on this as I certainly am no mechanic and haven't the foggiest on what to look for though I have time on my hands and am willing to learn, (also the local garage is only 6kms away).

I retired in July 2019 and together with my wife am currently living just outside the small mountain village of Bedar, Almeria, Spain, we now have residencia and both feel settled with the area and lifestyle so hopefully will be staying permanently.

We have a Honda CRV which I am really happy with though I am toying with the idea of also having a small day to day run about, thus a LHD Citroen 2cv.

I would really appreciate any information/tips/pitfalls, good or bad and any images any that of you may have of this vehicle.

Thanks.
    Keith.

I can't add much to your request for 'pitfalls' however as someone with many years of motor trade experience I'll chuck in my 10p worth re personal experience.
    I've used so many cars from Fiat 126 - Ferrari 348, inc Porsche, BMW and Jaguar, the 2CV has 'feelgood factor' by the bucket load, in summer chuck back the roof open the windows and breathe, in winter they'll often go where others can't, and melting snow from your wellies will just drip away, soz getting all nostalgic now, yes the engine isn't huge - but it does what's required,
    Brilliant car that is so much more than ''the sum of it's parts''.

Oh and it's worth baring in mind that there's two schools of thought regarding the 2CV, those who think they're brilliant and those who've never had one.
    Last edited by number2; 4th June 2020 at 15:04.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    I can’t imagine a 2cv would be nice to drive on twisty mountain roads. No power going up and no brakes going down.
    My folks live the other side of Almeria (near Adra) and have a Honda Jazz as a daily runabout and a LR defender 110 for trips into the mountains and when the rambla runs, washing away the road to their house.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

"Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    2CV bulletproof.
    This.

If you have an IQ above 5 you'll be able to service it yourself with just a handful of tools.
    Simplicty of design, doors, wings, seats, everything just clips on with just one or two bolts or catches.
    They are not fast, nor do they stop particularly well, but they're very comfortable and really easy to live with.
    Much better suited to dry climes than say here in the uk.
    They are also an appreciating asset, and if you buy right, I can't see you lose money over the longer term.
    Forgot to say...some criticise the handling...that's a load of bollocks, I've had a few, and you've got to be doing something REALLY stupid to get one to roll over. The cog is really low.
    They'd fail ENCAP miserably...but then so do vehicles like landrover defenders.

Go for it.

Living outside mountain village - 2CV?

Not the vehicle I would choose TBH.

Good fun for a while but they can be ruddy hard work and without decent luxuries like power or brakes.

Very good if you live in a flat area and have to do all your own mechanics though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    This.

If you have an IQ above 5 you'll be able to service it yourself with just a handful of tools.
    Simplicty of design, doors, wings, seats, everything just clips on with just one or two bolts or catches.
    They are not fast, nor do they stop particularly well, but they're very comfortable and really easy to live with.
    Much better suited to dry climes than say here in the uk.
    They are also an appreciating asset, and if you buy right, I can't see you lose money over the longer term.
    Forgot to say...some criticise the handling...that's a load of bollocks, I've had a few, and you've got to be doing something REALLY stupid to get one to roll over. The cog is really low.
    They'd fail ENCAP miserably...but then so do vehicles like landrover defenders.

Go for it.
    Actually Citroen used to run a competition for people who had to overturn one. the suspension, the low sprung weight, the wide turning circle and low power made it impossible. I am not aware anyone managed it without "cheating"

Otherwise, a good mehari for €12,000: if you were planning to spend that kind of money it could be a good one. Check if it's older or newer generation, galvanised chassis and if you have the fabric sides.

Also, brakes are what they are but on mountain roads you'll be fine if you stay in low gear. I must confess that there has been an occasion where I had to climb in reverse (lower ratio) but it was REALLY steep. The low engine power means they are sensitive to load though. And they'll put most 4WD to shame in the snow.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 4th June 2020 at 15:21.

Master
    MX-5?

Blog Entries
    At least get one with disk brakes and no drum brakes. These drums are a pig to maintain or repair. You need to take the whole front of the car apart. Designed in a time when labour costs were low. Disks were a major, major improvement.

Get a 123 ignition for these cars. Starting will be so much easier! Combine that with Beru spark plugs for the best result. It feels a lot faster after these simple upgrades.

I've owned 3 2cvs in my days. I would love to have one again. On the other hand... did you ever consider a Renault 4? The later models have a more powerful engine than the 2cv and are a little more sophisticated. The R4's engine soldiered on in the first Renault 5s as well. I think (but am not certain) that there's even a military, Mehari-styled version of these cars..

Found it: Renault Rodeo.

Then... did you ever look at the Mega Tjaffer. Basically a Citroen AX but all galvanized and GRP body. There's also a 1.5D version. That will get you across the mountains without a hassle!

Finally, try to get your hands on a car with Spanish plates. Importing a car into Spain is a whole lot of (paper)work.

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 4th June 2020 at 15:30.

Blog Entries
    I'd go with a standard but later model 2cv after '82 perhaps a Charleston. Either that or a late Renault 4 as others have said. Both cars are a lot more fun than their meagre specs would suggest, perhaps precisely for that reason. Many smiles per mile when I have driven them.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Get an original Panda 4x4. It will be much more suited for what you’ll want it to do.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I'd go with a standard but later model 2cv after '82 perhaps a Charleston. Either that or a late Renault 4 as others have said. Both cars are a lot more fun than their meagre specs would suggest, perhaps precisely for that reason. Many smiles per mile when I have driven them.
    The Renault 4 (better known as the "4L" (pronounced catrelle)) is also a good choice. It doesn't have the personality and the cult following of the 2CV but that means prices will be more affordable. They also have the same quirky gear lever. And yes Menno, the Rodeo is the Renault equivalent of the Mehari, using a 4L platform but not quite as easy to work on, nor are parts as easy to come by.

Another left field choice would be the Ami 6 or its evolution the Ami 8 from Citroën. May be not as easy to find but more powerful (I use the word loosely) than the 2CV,

I never pretended it was a looker, but it's a good car, easy to work on; the estate is practical and yet it's quirky enough to bring a smile on your face (same gear shift, too).
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 4th June 2020 at 18:04.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The Renault 4 (better known as the "4L" (pronounced catrelle)) is also a good choice. It doesn't have the personality and the cult following of the 2CV but that means prices will be more affordable. They also have the same quirky gear lever. And yes Men, the Rodeo is the Renault equivalent of the Mehari, using a 4L platform but not quite as easy to work on.

Another left field choice would be the Ami 6 or its evolution the Ami 8 from Citroën. May be not as easy to find but more powerful (I use the word loosely) than the 2CV,

I never pretended it was a looker, but it's a good car, easy to work on; the estate is practical and yet it's quirky enough to bring a smile on your face (same gear shift, too).
    Wow, so the Ford Anglia and the Citroen DS did have offspring!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Wow, so the Ford Anglia and the Citroen DS did have offspring!
    I think the Ami 6 and the Anglia 105 are pretty much contemporary, so they're both bastard children from an unknown father.
    And yes, that inverted rear screen is really funky. Disappointingly, the Citroën doesn't fly, though.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 4th June 2020 at 18:04.

Gents,

I am always amazed at the collective knowledge and advice provided on the TZUK forum it is really appreciated and has given a lot of food for thought.

Thanks and stay safe.

Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by carlyrox View Post
    Gents,

I am always amazed at the collective knowledge and advice provided on the TZUK forum it is really appreciated and has given a lot of food for thought.

Thanks and stay safe.

Keith.
    I never really liked the car but if you find a good Dyane 6, it is a more modern (another adjective used loosely) car than the 2 CV and may well fill the role you have for it.

Blog Entries
    The Renault 4 (better known as the "4L" (pronounced catrelle)) is also a good choice. It doesn't have the personality and the cult following of the 2CV but that means prices will be more affordable. They also have the same quirky gear lever. And yes Menno, the Rodeo is the Renault equivalent of the Mehari, using a 4L platform but not quite as easy to work on, nor are parts as easy to come by.

This is a fun topic! It brings back all sorts of memories.

The first girl I seriously dated had a Renault 4. Nice car and hers was an old one but it soldiered on and on. (Nice looking girl as well, but in hindsight, with serious issues. Glad it didn't work out).

Apart from my 2cv's I also had a Dyane6. Around 1980. I remember that it tiny engine used a lot of oil! 1 liter per 250 km or so. I was in the army at that time and my trip from home to the barracks and back was exactly 250 kms or better: one liter oil. Also the frist car I dented. And wonderfully repaired by my dad when I was away. I still think he simply got a replacement right wing in the correct colour from the breaker's yard! I later replaced it with a 1978 Honda Civic and never looked back...

I remember a picture my mum took of my parents' orange behemoth Volvo 242 (the one with the sloping nose) together with my off-white 2cv4 in the snow during the harsh winter of 78/79. I also remember that the 2cv4 won the 'roadholding award' during those slippery winter months: the RWD Volvo went sideways the moment is was driving out of the garage, so to speak!

The 2cv4 was the weaker version of the 2cv6. It also had a more rudimentary dashboard, the size of a packet of fags! Some sort of pre-war look and feel. The 6 had a more modern(...) looking dash with a larger instrument panel.

The Ami6 never caught on like the 2cv did. I've always fancied the model and it had the same incredible road-handling as the smaller Citroens. For me, its successor, the GS was a big step forward. I later found out that working on a GS can be really problematic. Changing the exhaust is a very big job! And remember: back in the days, exhausts had to be replaced very often. Better, modern materials and better coatings have made things a lot easier and less costly.

Master
    Quick answer - I'd say Don't

I had a couple of Dyane 6's when they were new in the early 1970's - great at the time - bought new, did 20,000 miles in a year, then changed it for another new Dyane and did the same - never let me down and doing almost 2,000 miles per month across the Pennines and back - cheap to run and fun at the time to drive

I had a sudden urge about 12 years ago to get a 2CV

Here it is repainted a non-original black - I spent more time working on it than driving it - I found working on it more fun than driving it - I sold it after a year for what I paid for it!!

Last edited by BillN; 5th June 2020 at 10:21.

That's a posh 2CV Bill. Are the wheels minilites?

And Menno, although unloved the GS was a better car than most modern offerings. The key was of course its suspension, hydropneumatic as its prestigious forebear the DS. The "satellite" dashboard needed some getting used to, just like the digital speed display. But what a family car, with a great boot on the hatchback and a ginormous one on the estate.

Master

And Menno, although unloved the GS was a better car than most modern offerings. The key was of course its suspension, hydropneumatic as its prestigious forebear the DS. The "satellite" dashboard needed some getting used to, just like the digital speed display. But what a family car, with a great boot on the hatchback and a ginormous one on the estate.
    yep minilites

the problem with using the 2CV today is the all important safety issue - the bodywork metal is only as thick as cardboard - todays roads are far busier - cars are much faster than even in the 70's and there is no crash protection in a 2CV - if you are hit by another car you will be hurt and the older you get the more it hurts

plus you will never beat the rust - my car had a complete body off respray and was undersealed and then waxoiled, but the rust still came through in parts
    Last edited by BillN; 5th June 2020 at 10:40.

Had a GSA for about a month before moving on to a BX, ferocious brakes.

I agree with the safety issues but a small mountain village in Andalusia probably sees less traffic than our roads, and the drier air would probably help with the rust.
    It cannot be anything else than a ‘fun’ car nowadays, but if the OP keeps that in mind it will be a great choice.

And remember it is a very capable car: Jacques Seguela (a famous French publicist, founder of RSCG and former Vice President of Havas) famously went around the world in one. The book (and the film) is called ‘La terre en rond”. First published in 1960 I believe

Blog Entries

The comfort of those older Citroens is never surpassed. At that time, Citroen was lightyears ahead. Even in a 2cv the seating position was perfect for my 6 ft length and also for my cousin Paul's 6 ft 8 (!). I agree with BillN on rust, rust and safety (and rust) but oh the joy of open-top motoring and fun. Apart from that: I suppose that the Spanish climate will be easy on 2cv's.

Inspired by the Minilites, look at this website: https://www.burtoncar.com The two owners (brothers) started their business 'Duck Hunt' with rebuilding old 2cv's into Morgan threewheeler look-alikes like Lomax etc. Then they changed to their own design: 'Burton'.

The men have their business in a small city Zutphen (try to pronounce that when you're English!), only 15 miles from where I live.

Master
    I had this one for twenty odd years. For much of that time it was used for my daily commute across London & regular trips to the West Country. It was a very reliable & practical car that was a joy to drive.

My sister had one. Awful to drive, very slow and made us all feel sick when cornering.

if you want some similar, easy to maintain, cheap parts, etc, etc, then just get yourself a Beetle. Far better.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Other opinions are available.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper View Post
    I had this one for twenty odd years. For much of that time it was used for my daily commute across London & regular trips to the West Country. It was a very reliable & practical car that was a joy to drive.

that looks pretty - presumably a re-spray, as mine was, as I do not think they were originally supplied in black

£10k to £12k now in that condition

I think that I sold mine, above, for £3,250 some 10 years ago

This brings back happy memories
    https://youtu.be/i1PDkpCyfM4
    Had one like this for a month or so, rhubarb and custard

Craftsman
    A Citroen 2cv rivals as an original Land Rover as one the very worst cars I’ve ever had time to spend in , and I’ve driven a Morris Marina van to Munich and put 30k miles in an Allegro ... each to their own .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Some understand and some don't - which isn't intended as a criticism, Marina and Allegro - the 'bad boys' of British motoring.

Have you thought about buying an MR2 and modifying the life out of it? Popular with the ladies, by all accounts.

I almost moved somewhere really remote just so I could buy a Panda 4x4. One of those and a 2CV in a garage would be pretty damn good. There's nothing faster up or down a mountain (summer or winter) than a Panda 4x4.
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries
    Have you thought about buying an MR2 and modifying the life out of it? Popular with the ladies, by all accounts.
    A Spanish thing indeed! You'll blend in with the locals, I'm sure. I've seen one with large decals on the side as well. You should check this out.

Kidding aside: I have no idea how steep the hills are in your part of Spain. If they are impressively steep as the hills in South Devon near the coast, I would go look for something more powerful than a 2cv6. Like I said: R4 but the 4x4 Panda is an good alternative. Seat had its Marbella (although I don't know if it came in 4x4) and there's Embella: a Spanish builder who built some nice cars even using the 4x4.

Another alternative not mentioned yet: the Santana Samurai! Tough as old boots.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post

I almost moved somewhere really remote just so I could buy a Panda 4x4. One of those and a 2CV in a garage would be pretty damn good. There's nothing faster up or down a mountain (summer or winter) than a Panda 4x4.
    My wife had a Mk1 Panda/Steyr and it was a super little car. Twin sun roof model. What killed it however was the rust. God it was bad and this coming from a Lancia owner.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    A Citroen 2cv rivals as an original Land Rover as one the very worst cars I’ve ever had time to spend in , and I’ve driven a Morris Marina van to Munich and put 30k miles in an Allegro ... each to their own .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    I was a LR owner for about 15 years. In that time a SIII, MoD Lightweight and two D90. It's ten years since I sold out and moved on to more 'sensible' vehicles. There's not a day goes past I regret the decision to go 'sensible' :-( Over the last few years I've investigated several times the feasibility of going back to a Defender or SIII but I can't 'foil' it with the sky high prices - I admit I'm very peeved when I look at the prices currently being asked and then think back to what I sold my SIII and D90 for :-(
    You either 'get' a LandRover or you don't (I mean a 'proper' LandRover). If you do then there is simply no substitute.