closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Self made 'homage'.

Self made 'homage'.

I recently saw this set of resin for sale.

I wasn’t actually looking to buy this sort of resin but it was on sale and it was a mighty $8.43 delivered to the UK! So I bought it because why wouldn’t you at that price? I thought I could find some use for it as some sort of dye project. It came with tools, spring bars and a set of screws, amazing value.

However, I got to thinking, I like the DW-5035E Glacier Gold but don’t like the price. I wondered if I could do something on the lines of that as a homage. Here is a the Glacier Gold.

I eventually decided on a watch I would use for the project and here it is. I bought it new in an online sale

It is the DW-5600BBMB and combines a mirror face and a mirror LCD. It has the gold buttons and screws I was looking for.
    Negative EL.

The face is ‘blanker’ than the usual DW-5600 but this has probably been done to emphasise the mirror face.This looks really good on the wrist but is hard to photograph as it is so reflective. You can see how the face changes colour as it reflects the nearby objects, it becomes a 'Japanese Acer watch' when photographed near such a tree as you can see.

Of course, the case on this is black resin and I would have to do something about it. It struck me that I could paint the case in metallic gold. This sort of thing wouldn’t work if painting the outside of a G Shock, it would soon start to wear off. However, I thought if the only bit painted was the the part the bezel itself protected, there shouldn’t be any wear. So that is what I did and here is the result.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

I really like the look actually. The colour match is really close to that of the Glacier Gold and the watch face appears bigger on the wrist as being able to see the gold case extends the gold face somewhat.

So really pleased with this. I might give it a couple more coats eventually as extended viewing has revealed a couple of flaws. So this is a ‘poor man's’ homage to a Glacier Gold. It cost me just less than $70 dollars for the resin and the watch and of course I could always revert it with the unused black resin.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 4th June 2020 at 14:26.

Not for me but that is cool. Looks OK too.
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

That looks like a Power Rangers promo watch I got from Burger King circa. 1993

Good effort, you certainly got close to the original.

Very nice mod. I like the looks of that. I've always liked electronics in a clear case though.

Good job, but it's very reflective.

Master
    Clearly a nice watch.

Craftsman
    Feel like you could do with a smoother finish on the gold paint? Have you considered clear-coating it, or would that add too much thickness?

Nice work

These always make me think of Blakes 7 - in a good way that is

Orac and all that

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Feel like you could do with a smoother finish on the gold paint? Have you considered clear-coating it, or would that add too much thickness?

The paint is smooth, it has a metallic sparkle to it very similar to the colour on the DW-5035E. The finished look is dependent on the surface painted to a degree.

I don't think clear coating it would make much difference as the painted case is already covered by the clear resin bezel and is only viewed through that, no other surfaces have been painted as they would wear pretty quickly.

Mitch

That's a good job! Could I pull it off? Not sure, but you do!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    The paint is smooth, it has a metallic sparkle to it very similar to the colour on the DW-5035E. The finished look is dependent on the surface painted to a degree.

I don't think clear coating it would make much difference as the painted case is already covered by the clear resin bezel and is only viewed through that, no other surfaces have been painted as they would wear pretty quickly.

Mitch
    Fair enough.

Looking at those two new images, I think it was mostly the lighting in one of the earlier pictures.

Looks great! Thanks for sharing.