closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Issued SBS CWC W10 Diver on the Bay

Issued SBS CWC W10 Diver on the Bay

Currently for sale and bids at £3,400
    I don’t follow the prices of these watches but I was surprised at the price.
    No connection to the item or the seller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184312624378

Master
    W10 is an army marking, surely an SBS item would be marked 0555?

The 05 W10 probably one of the rarest CWC Divers going hence the price, it also comes on the rare issued waterborne strap.

The SBS has been issued to the Army as well as Navy just the same as the 5517 was they still are. If it’s good enough for the SBS I guess it’s good enough for the SAS? These were also issued to the RE as well as other units.

The current issue CWC divers are all
    Marked 0555 regardless of who gets them.

There is a thread on MWR currently.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 4th June 2020 at 15:41.

How can he post a £3500 + watch for £6.90? RMSD won’t cover that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's probably bidding on his own auction. My guess is bids with 223 in brackets is a second account or a family member - don't bid £3,501 for Christ sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    He's probably bidding on his own auction. My guess is bids with 223 in brackets is a second account or a family member - don't bid £3,501 for Christ sake.
    The seller is a well known collector and a good guy by all accounts so I would think that’s unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Euan Begbie View Post
    How can he post a £3500 + watch for £6.90? RMSD won’t cover that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe eBay fees are based on final selling price plus postage. He might post well insured at his own expense and minimise eBay fees.

Master
    ...it belonged to a member of SBS staff based in Hereford.
    I thought SBS were based in Poole and it was SAS in Hereford?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    I thought SBS were based in Poole and it was SAS in Hereford?
    I thought they shared Hereford now just different coloured boat houses :-)

Issued SBS CWC W10 Diver on the Bay

How ludicrous. For all anyone knows, it may well have been issued and then placed by a civilian on a shelf in Poole Harbour or Hereford.

You could take your own CWC SBS to the main gate and it might have gotten physically closer to a special forces member and you’ll have saved yourself circa £2,900 in the process!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by messym View Post
    How ludicrous. For all anyone knows, it may well have been issued and then placed by a civilian on a shelf in Poole Harbour or Hereford.
    Does that still exist? I thought it was destroyed by the Japs in WW2...

Quote Originally Posted by messym View Post

You could take your own CWC SBS to the main gate and it might have gotten physically closer to a special forces member and you’ll have saved yourself circa £2,900 in the process!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This is very true
    But some people want the W10 and the 05 on the same case back
    It’s thought that there are only about 100 of these in existence and if your collection is CWC divers, you don’t have this combination and you have deep pockets...

But in essentially it’s the same watch you can walk in to Silvermans tomorrow and buy.

I'm curious to know how the bidders can except the provenance of this watch. What do they use as a reference for it's issue and subsequent use. Ok, it's got a W10 stamp which is not common but how do they know it's genuine.The sellor may well be respected but where's the evidence, other than his description. It's obviously a grey area when it comes to special forces but it seems a lot of money for hearsay. I'm not for a moment suggesting it's false. I just wonder how they can be sure it's genuine and are willing to part with so much money from the description in an ebay listing? The strap being issued also seems strange to me.
    Last edited by Kaffe; 4th June 2020 at 21:28.

You will never know for sure unless there is evidence. It’s the same for any military watch. The condition of this and the (rare) strap suggests it’s not been worn much. In 05 Silvermans CWC were still stamping C on the case back of civilian watches and the W10s were never sold in the shop or on line as far as I aware.

In this case I think the money is in the rarity not the possible provenance. It’s very strong money but if you don’t have a W10 from 05 in your collection and you want it...
    I would not pay it but it’s similar money to an early quartz watch so not totally unexpected.

How much do people pay for one or two lines of red text or a white block of writing.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 4th June 2020 at 22:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    You will never know for sure unless there is evidence. It’s the same for any military watch. The condition of this and the (rare) strap suggests it’s not been worn much. In 05 Silvermans CWC were still stamping C on the case back of civilian watches and the W10s were never sold in the shop or on line as far as I aware.

In this case I think the money is in the rarity not the possible provenance. It’s very strong money but if you don’t have a W10 from 05 in your collection and you want it...
    I would not pay it but it’s similar money to an early quartz watch so not totally unexpected.

How much do people pay for one or two lines of red text or a white block of writing.
    What you say is very true. However the strap is easily bought from other sources and I am very doubtful that it was issued. Did the MOD issue Zulu straps like this? I am not an expert but I thought they only issued watches with standard nato straps. It is a minor point but I am curious.
    Please, I am not trying to start an argument. I am wondering how the bidders can be sure it is genuine. They must be sure if they are willing to pay so much.
    Last edited by Kaffe; 4th June 2020 at 22:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    What you say is very true. However the strap is easily bought from other sources and I am very doubtful that it was issued. Did the MOD issue Zulu straps like this? I am not an expert but I thought they only issued watches with standard nato straps. It is a minor point but I am curious.
    Please, I am not trying to start an argument. I am wondering how the bidders can be sure it is genuine. They must be sure if they are willing to pay so much.
    What you say is also true!
    Re the strap I think they were a unit purchase item so a job lot was likely bought and dished out but yes when they leave Silvermans they had an 18mm grey NATO strap. (Or at least a batch of straps are supplied with the batch of watches)
    In terms of being sure, - it is a genuine W10 2005 dated watch. Collectors know the dates when watches were issued (they were not issued every year), they know the batch numbers in which the issued numbers fall. You need to do your research, know your stuff and have a bit of insider knowledge. For me this is part of the ‘fun’ of collecting military watches.