closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Random dog kit - a treat holder for your pocket?

Craftsman

Random dog kit - a treat holder for your pocket?

Since getting our frenchie 2 months ago I seem to always have a few treats/crumbs in the pocket of every jacket or pair of trousers going which needs to stop, but it's handy having some on me - not least because it means he listens to me over the gf as she doesn't have pockets!

The treat pouches online I've seen seem to be large bulky things to hang off your waist, when I'd just like something small and washable that could be slipped into a trouser pocket. In my mind I'm thinking something like a coin pouch where you speeze the end to open it, else it's flat. I'm sure one of you guys will have something that fits the bill!

Apologies for the very niche thread, will try to add some pics of the dog to make up for it.

Keep the treats in a little plastic bag in your pocket?

Craftsman
    How about an old cloth sunglasses pouch with a drawstring fasten?

I tend to use these as a coin-purse whilst on holiday.

Craftsman

Just use one of your poo-bags (unused obviously!).

The reason you end up with bits in your pockets is because most treats are crumbly, especially when squeezed together, so a soft pouch in your pocket will never work as well as a more rigid one. In your jeans there is nothing you can do but for your jacket a flat-ish Tupperware type is perfect.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Journeyman
    I use a kinder egg container, snaps shut but easy to access a few treats... keeps the pocket clean too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Just use one of your poo-bags (unused obviously!).
    This.

Recycle a cigarette case or a snuff box? Both were designed to be kept in your pocket.

Craftsman
    I have the same issue with my Jack Russell Terrier George, and you have just inspired me to use a chalk bag for climbing which is designed to be worn outside with easy access!!!

I use a small waterproof stuff sack from an outdoor shop, with a drawstring.

https://www.globetrotter.de/frilufts...sku=5637292756
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

You're overthinking this OP. Small ziplock food bag from the supermarket is all I've ever used (not the same one obvs. - before some joker makes a comment).
    Last edited by Geralt; 4th June 2020 at 12:59.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    You're overthinking this OP.
    Oh yeah, I’m well aware I’m overthinking this!! I just wondered if there was a more elegant alternative to shoving a plastic bag in my pocket.

Really like the snuff box suggestion! Don’t have one, but has made me think an old tin for mints would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Oh yeah, I’m well aware I’m overthinking this!! I just wondered if there was a more elegant alternative to shoving a plastic bag in my pocket.
    Don't worry, after a few more months every where you go you will be finding plastic poo-bags in your pockets. They have a tendency to get into every pocket of every item of clothing somehow.....

There is often a flurry of plastic bags falling out of my pockets when paying for a pint at the bar in the pub (remember those things?!).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Don't worry, after a few more months every where you go you will be finding plastic poo-bags in your pockets. They have a tendency to get into every pocket of every item of clothing somehow.....

There is often a flurry of plastic bags falling out of my pockets when paying for a pint at the bar in the pub (remember those things?!).
    How true

Craftsman
    An old mints or Vaseline tin.

They have little black nylon drawstring treat bags in pets at home. £3.00. They are about 3 inches squared and last a while and can be washed. You need to be aware though that you will soon stop worrying and have treats or bits of treats in every pocket. As someone said earlier, poo bags falling out of every crevice and a dog hair or two to accompany every meal. It just becomes a way of life. Wouldn’t swop it for the world though. Lovely looking pup by the way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
    How about an old cloth sunglasses pouch with a drawstring fasten?

I tend to use these as a coin-purse whilst on holiday.
    I use something similar in nylon kind of material with drawstring fastening which is small enough to fit in most pockets.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post

Really like the snuff box suggestion! Don’t have one, but has made me think an old tin for mints would be good.
    Well, there might be a more elegant solution and I hope you find it. Can't see it lasting long, though, especially when the real training begins. You'll need quick access to lots of treats/rewards and I can't see you digging in your pocket for a snuff box every few minutes, which TBH won't contain enough treats to last half a minute!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    An old mints or Vaseline tin.
    I also thought that when put some lip balm on earlier (though it lasts forever) I think those are the current answers

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemoon7 View Post
    It just becomes a way of life. Wouldn’t swop it for the world though. Lovely looking pup by the way.
    Thanks! Yes, was interesting to see my lifelong vegetarian girlfriend who won’t even put a pepperoni pizza in the oven for me due to the meat on it unloading a pocketful of meaty dog treats on her bedside table the other night.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Can't see it lasting long, though, especially when the real training begins. You'll need quick access to lots of treats/rewards and I can't see you digging in your pocket for a snuff box every few minutes, which TBH won't contain enough treats to last half a minute!
    Ha, true - I was more thinking of it for the odd times around the house when he does something good and you’re away from the main stash. It won’t replace the bucket of treats we seem to need just to walk him down the road..

Or.... we used to buy liver tablets from Barker & Barker, they are like compressed pill treats made from liver powder, they don’t crumble and if you hold them in your hand they warm up and the dog can smell them.

We use old metal mint tins. They are a good size, not too big but hold enough treats. The plus size is they make a good rattle sound so the dogs get queued into the sound and come back when called for a treat.

Plus you get to have the mints yourself!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

the best answer has already been given (a plastic bag) , anything made of tin like a sweet case is going to rattle - that said i'd get the dog used to not having treats when you walk it as all its going to do is keep begging when it knows you have them on you (for a lot of dog owners 'treats' often build up to more food than the dog needs and you just end up with a fat unhealthy dog )

a nice looking dog tho im sure your research has shown that french bulldogs can have breathing problems - an overweight one will quickly sound like darth vader .

Craftsman
    A terminal resurrection to say thanks for the comments and feedback

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    We use old metal mint tins. They are a good size, not too big but hold enough treats. The plus size is they make a good rattle sound so the dogs get queued into the sound and come back when called for a treat.
    This has been working really well for the last few days - turns out the answer was in my desk drawer the whole time!

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    an overweight one will quickly sound like darth vader.
    I did enjoy this description - he’s better at walking each day so it’s starting to become a pleasure, and the metre:treat ratio well reduced

Master
    We use something very similar to this when walking our two;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Navaris-Sil...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Maybe a bit OTT for a couple of treats but useful for recall training.