closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oculus Quest

Oculus Quest

Does anyone have one? What are your thoughts? Thinking of getting one as they’ve just come back in stock, like the look of Vader Immortal and End Space. Also which size did you go for, 64gb or 128gb?

Any particular reason you're keen on the Quest over the Rift S?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    The Quest is wireless and standalone so doesn't require a PC. Many people find this more attractive. It can also be connected to a PC using an optional link cable. I have a Rift S specifically for sim racing but can definitely see the attraction of the Quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    The Quest is wireless and standalone so doesn't require a PC. Many people find this more attractive. It can also be connected to a PC using an optional link cable. I have a Rift S specifically for sim racing but can definitely see the attraction of the Quest.
    I have the Rift S and went through the same choice, hence querying the OP as some people aren't aware of the limitations of the Quest c.f. the Rift S.

The Quest tether cable you mention is an example of that, and whilst it means you can take advantage of your PC's power to play more processor intensive games, you also have the heft of a battery powered headset PLUS the inconvenience of a cable (and the fact that it'll still drain the battery even when connected so it's not like it substitutes a tethered headset either).

I have a MacBook Pro and am loath to buy a gaming PC...that said the quest with the new Link seems to give best of both worlds as I could use with a PC in the future.

So I think the quest at this stage is a good option. The tech moves so quickly that if I get a lot of use out of a quest in a couple of years when the next gen headsets are out could be the time I move to full on pc gaming. I’ve never had a gaming pc, always consoles in the past.
    Last edited by dougair; 4th June 2020 at 11:59.

We have a Quest. It's fine with the link software, and the USBC tether cable isn't really a problem (it needs a USB3 port). The dedicated Quest games aren't a compelling reason to get one, and it's mostly used tethered to play PC games.

If you just want to play PC games and not have to faff about, then probably choose a Rift S.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I have a MacBook Pro and am loath to buy a gaming PC...that said the quest with the new Link seems to give best of both worlds as I could use with a PC in the future.
    Very understandable! Should be great fun.

I've found VR to be great during the stricter stages of lockdown when very strictly limited on going outside.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    We have a Quest. It's fine with the link software, and the USBC tether cable isn't really a problem (it needs a USB3 port). The dedicated Quest games aren't a compelling reason to get one, and it's mostly used tethered to play PC games.

If you just want to play PC games and not have to faff about, then probably choose a Rift S.
    Thanks, I guess it’s a question of investment as to get a decent gaming PC and rift S I’m talking about £2k at least?

Thanks, I guess it’s a question of investment as to get a decent gaming PC and rift S I’m talking about £2k at least?
    I think the answer to this is a two parter:

1. Have you ever tried VR before?
    2. Will you be doing non-VR gaming?

I ask both of these as if VR doesn't click with you and you've shelled out on a rig just to run VR, then that'll be quite a shame! However, if VR doesn't click and you're still planning on doing non-VR gaming, then it's a worthwhile thing to spend money on (I am biased - I am both a VR and PC gamer).

The cost for a gaming setup varies hugely, but will be less if you're going for a pure VR set-up as then you don't need to think about getting a high end monitor to take advantage of your PC's power given you're only driving the VR headset.

I recommend using Overclocker UK's rig builder, and its forums to seek guidance on what works best with what else. The members there are masters of both saving you money and getting you to spend a little more to up your rig's abilities.

Shop: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/
    Forum: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/

No affiliation etc. etc.

I think the answer to this is a two parter:

1. Have you ever tried VR before?
    2. Will you be doing non-VR gaming?

I ask both of these as if VR doesn't click with you and you've shelled out on a rig just to run VR, then that'll be quite a shame! However, if VR doesn't click and you're still planning on doing non-VR gaming, then it's a worthwhile thing to spend money on (I am biased - I am both a VR and PC gamer).

The cost for a gaming setup varies hugely, but will be less if you're going for a pure VR set-up as then you don't need to think about getting a high end monitor to take advantage of your PC's power given you're only driving the VR headset.

I recommend using Overclocker UK's rig builder, and its forums to seek guidance on what works best with what else. The members there are masters of both saving you money and getting you to spend a little more to up your rig's abilities.

Shop: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/
    Forum: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/

No affiliation etc. etc.
    Thanks, super helpful! I haven’t really engaged in VR since about 1992 and that rig was huge and at my local bowling alley. Other than a brief go on my friends PSVR. I’m tempted to get into PC gaming and I think VR will click with me. I’ve always been a massive gamer and have an extensive collection of retro video games from 16bit to PS3. I guess a quest at £400 might be a good entry to VR to see how I get on and if it works get a PC set up in a couple of years.

Separately, given you seem to know what you’re talking about, what are you’re thoughts on gaming laptop vs desktop? I have been looking at this as a potential entry into PC gaming and VR -

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asus...5t/version.asp

Thanks, super helpful! I haven’t really engaged in VR since about 1992 and that rig was huge and at my local bowling alley. Other than a brief go on my friends PSVR. I’m tempted to get into PC gaming and I think VR will click with me. I’ve always been a massive gamer and have an extensive collection of retro video games from 16bit to PS3. I guess a quest at £400 might be a good entry to VR to see how I get on and if it works get a PC set up in a couple of years.

Separately, given you seem to know what you’re talking about, what are you’re thoughts on gaming laptop vs desktop? I have been looking at this as a potential entry into PC gaming and VR -

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asus...5t/version.asp
    I'm not the best person to ask on gaming internals as it's been a number of years since I put together my PC and the only thing I've changed in the past year is the GPU, added some more RAM and a couple more SSDs. I'm therefore not best placed to be able to advise on the state of modern internals given I've not had to build from the ground up in years.

That being said, I imagine the number one limitation for laptop vs. desktop won't have changed, and that is cooling. Desktops can take components with larger cooling systems (heat sinks, fans etc.) to cool things down, and also have the internal real estate to keep heat generating components distanced, whereas laptops will be looking to keep components and the space between them, small. This will always be a limitation in terms of comparative performance.

However, I can really, really see the appeal of the portability of a laptop. I don't mean to use it for work purposes as a decent gaming laptop will always be more bulky and heavy compared to an office laptop so it'll be a faff to carry to work on a daily basis, but I can totally see the appeal for moving around within your home, especially for tethered VR if one room is more easily decluttered.

My desktop is located where it's best suited for daily life, but that means the area around it has to become the VR space too, given the permanent tether of the Rift S. This can be a royal faff, moving tables, chairs, ceiling light shade, and generally making sure I'm not going to smash into, or smash something. The ceiling has two dents in it where I physically reached up and jumped to grasp a ledge in Boneworks, and my controllers have chips in them where I've clobbered the back of my office chair...

I would still go for a desktop for the increased ease of component changing, but I haven't tried a laptop so I could well be wrong on how easy they are now to self upgrade too.

I’ve bought a Quest! Any recommendations on games? Like the look of Vader Immortal, End Space and Red Matter...

Eleven Table Tennis VR is great

Master
    Vader is good but doesn’t last very long.

The Climb is quite immersive.

Table tennis as said above - might need a bit more space than you think :)

Acron squirrel game is very good for multiplayer fun (with everyone else playing on phones and one person being a tree in vr)

Pistol Whip is good for a mixture of music beat game with guns.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll check those out 👍🏻

PC specs for Rift S and tethered Quest are the same, and reasonably modest: https://support.oculus.com/248749509016567/

I'd recommend a gfx card with at least 6Gb of ram.

Gaming laptops are good if you need portability. If it's going to stay on your desk, you'll still want separate mouse, keyboard, screen and speakers, so why not just have a tower pc? Gaming laptops also generate a fair bit of heat, so their fans run quite a lot, and they tend not to be silent.

Just tried Echo VR...what a blast! Definitely recommend!