closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS-22 (rotor?) rattling noise - is that a ‘thing’

Journeyman

PRS-22 (rotor?) rattling noise - is that a ‘thing’

Good morning,

a few days ago I managed to buy a 2013 PRS-22 Speedbird III from another forum member.

Watch looks like new, pretty much unworn according to the previous owner (lovely chap, very credible) - but there happens to be quite a loud, noticeable rattling noise emanating from the inside of the watch. Assume that’s the ETA2824’s rotor causing that?

Question for you, owners and experts: is this a “thing”? Do your Speedbirds rattle?

I have a few other watches running on ETA2824, but none of them magnetically shielded I believe - so might not be a like-for-like comparison...

It does bother me that noise, but I really like the watch. So, any thoughts/experience would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much

WP

Generally speaking, I've never had that from an ETA2824. Don't have a SB3 currently, but I've had one in the past, and it didn't make any noise that I'd describe as 'rattling'. It sounds to me like you have an issue.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Did not have that rattling noise when I had my PRS-22 GMT. Could be an issue.
    How's the timekeeping? Is it affected?

Grand Master
    There should be no rattle. Possibly the rotor has become loose and is contacting the caseback. One way or another it should be a straightforward fix.

Not something I've experienced with a 2824-2. I'd take the caseback off to see if there's anything obvious amiss. I have an SKX007 with a noise like that and when I opened it the rotor screw had come out so the rotor was loose. Easy to put the rotor and screw back on.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    Did not have that rattling noise when I had my PRS-22 GMT. Could be an issue.
    How's the timekeeping? Is it affected?
    Difficult to say as I’ve only had the watch for two days and not really worn it yet (as the previous owner kindly offered to take it back if the problem persists, so don’t want to scratch it etc.)

That said, timekeeping doesn’t seem to be off as far as I’ve noticed.

You mean time timekeeping would more likely be off if there was a serious problem?

Journeyman

PRS-22 (rotor?) rattling noise - is that a ‘thing’

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    There should be no rattle. Possibly the rotor has become loose and is contacting the caseback. One way or another it should be a straightforward fix.
    Really appreciate your reply, as well as the others. Thank you.

I’m no expert, so please forgive me if this is a dumb question: when you say ‘should be a straightforward fix’, would a watchmaker typically be willing to open a case and just tighten the rotor / fix the problem without conducting a full service?

Thanks again

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Not something I've experienced with a 2824-2. I'd take the caseback off to see if there's anything obvious amiss. I have an SKX007 with a noise like that and when I opened it the rotor screw had come out so the rotor was loose. Easy to put the rotor and screw back on.
    Thanks. So in your case it was just a question if a loose screw?

Yes so long as the screw isn't stuck behind the movement. In my case with the SKX, opening, fixing and closing took less than five minutes and I'm certainly no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfiesPapa View Post
    Really appreciate your reply, as well as the others, on this.

I’m no expert, so please forgive me if this is a dumb question: when you say ‘should be a straightforward fix’, would a watchmaker typically be willing to open a case and just tighten the rotor / fix the problem without conducting a full service?

Thanks again

Journeyman
    Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by WolfiesPapa View Post
    That said, timekeeping doesn’t seem to be off as far as I’ve noticed.

You mean time timekeeping would more likely be off if there was a serious problem?
    I would think so. I'm just thinking the rattle could become a bigger issue if not resolved.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    I would think so. I'm just thinking the rattle could become a bigger issue if not resolved.
    Agreed. Will speak to the seller to see what can be done to resolve this.