closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Market for to-be-serviced watches?

Journeyman

Market for to-be-serviced watches?

Hi all,

Since the start of the year I had considered putting my 2010 Speedy 3570.50 up for sale. I had it serviced a couple of years ago so all was working well. Just before lock down the watch stopped winding for no apparent reason. I took it into the Omega store in royal exchange who said it needed to be sent off and would likely need another full service and this wasn't covered under warranty - frustrating as it will be the second service in 3 years and of course Omega has put up the costs of servicing again. I foolishly didn't send it off that day and now have not been able to arrange for a repair.

I understand a lot of the forum use many options for watch repairs/servicing. Would you suggest getting it fully serviced before listing here/elsewhere or in general is there interest for watches such as mine? The watch on the whole is in good condition, was bought on here back in 2015 and has full box/papers.

Cheers,
    AB

Grand Master
    If it was serviced by Omega and its subsequently developed an obvious fault within 2 years I’d expect them to sort that out FOC on a goodwill basis. When you say it ‘stopped winding’ I don’t know what you mean, but clearly there’s a problem. If the winder us turning and doesn’t stop turning the mainspring has broken. If the crown won’t turn there’s a fault with the keyless work and that reflects on the previous work in my opinion.

Unless the watch has been ill- treated it shouldn’t give problems after a couple of years.

Master
    Since you don’t have 250 posts you wouldn’t be able to sell it here and this certainly feels like a stealth sales post.
    Had you stopped a couple of lines earlier it might not have been as obvious...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If it was serviced by Omega and its subsequently developed an obvious fault within 2 years I’d expect them to sort that out FOC on a goodwill basis. When you say it ‘stopped winding’ I don’t know what you mean, but clearly there’s a problem. If the winder us turning and doesn’t stop turning the mainspring has broken. If the crown won’t turn there’s a fault with the keyless work and that reflects on the previous work in my opinion.

Unless the watch has been ill- treated it shouldn’t give problems after a couple of years.
    Thanks - it's the latter. I can wind the winder anti-clockwise (aka which does nothing) and that sounds and operates as normal. If I try to wind clockwise to actually wind the watch, it doesn't move. Equally odd If I press the top button (start seconds hand) the hand jumps forward a second and stops but returns to 12 if pressed again.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Since you don’t have 250 posts you wouldn’t be able to sell it here and this certainly feels like a stealth sales post.
    Had you stopped a couple of lines earlier it might not have been as obvious...

Sure - understand that's how it looks. Trying to be transparent in that yes I'm planning on selling the watch but I really don't know if it's good to sell in this condition. Given the watch was bought on here (and once again before that I believe) I would endeavour to keep it here so will keep an eye on wtb if I haven't hit 250 by the time the above is sorted.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abryant64 View Post
    If I try to wind clockwise to actually wind the watch, it doesn't move
    Sounds like it might have been overwound, will likely need a full service especially given the age, no idea what omega would charge but I believe that Indies would be able to get their hands on parts.

Of course selling a working watch will be worth more than selling as broken, not many buyers would be willing to take the risk that the works are more substantial than first thought.

On top of the actual servicing costs a potential buyer would likely want a discount to account for the inconvenience since the buyer wouldn't be able to enjoy straight away

Craftsman
    Surely a watch that doesn't wind is broken not just in need of service ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abryant64 View Post
    Sure - understand that's how it looks. Trying to be transparent in that yes I'm planning on selling the watch but I really don't know if it's good to sell in this condition. Given the watch was bought on here (and once again before that I believe) I would endeavour to keep it here so will keep an eye on wtb if I haven't hit 250 by the time the above is sorted.
    Fair play.
    It might be something simple as a broken mainspring or something a bit more complicated in the winding mechanism. Any independent should be able to fix it..