closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubber strap annoyance - do they break in?

Rubber strap annoyance - do they break in?

I got a rubber strap from crafter blue a while back for my tudor black bay - now it has been hot recently, I thought it would be a good time to swap it over and enjoy the comfort from a soft rubber strap - alas...it’s not comfy at all. Firstly it forms a weird shape and has raised edges on the back for some reason, which press into the wrist - so if you have it loose it sits at a funny angle and digs in, if you have it snug, it digs in even worse !
    I have put the bracelet back on as I couldn’t stick it out. They must sell loads of these bands -
    is it just me!?

Same here I bought one for my pelagos in February not wore the watch since just stiff and annoying to wear and grabs at the skin.

Sent from my SM-N976B using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I bought a £5 imitation tropic from Cousins it was very comfortable from the start. How long it will last is probably a different story

Have just ordered a crafter blue rubber strap for my Tudor GMT, recommended on another thread. Will let you know what it’s like when it arrives

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Their rubber seems to be quite stiff - the one I had on my Sumo was OK, but not brilliant (perhaps not helped by my skinny wrists). If you want the integrated look at a reasonable price then there aren't too many choices but, otherwise, you could try silicone (e.g. Barton, whose straps are very comfortable). For rubber, Borealis produce an excellent quality, thick yet pretty supple strap, albeit in the perforated Isofrane style.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I bought a £5 imitation tropic from Cousins it was very comfortable from the start. How long it will last is probably a different story
    Have no fear. Mine has lasted four years and still going strong with no sign of going south anytime soon. The only problem for me with these is I'd like a bit more length.

I like rubber straps - a lot - but they can vary in comfort significantly.

Whilst I have no experience of Crafter Blue straps, I would say that I found OEM rubber straps from Breitling and Panerai to be incredibly comfortable, as are Rubber B. Although cheap and comparatively thin I like the Barton rubber straps too. I also enjoy both the original ISOfrane and copies from Borealis and Cousins.

On the other hand I have bought a couple of other aftermarket rubber straps (one from WatchGecko and a German one whose name I can’t remember) both of which I found very uncomfortable.

Then there’s the infamous Z22 from Seiko, which for me was exquisitely uncomfortable and which I sold as fast as possible!

Simon

Craftsman
    Don't know what your lug width is but I like the Uncle Seiko tropic strap, and they make some other rubber straps as well. They have a UK website now so you could check them out there.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have rubber straps from Breitling and Isofrane,both are very comfy.I did have a couple of zuludiver 400 straps ,couldn’t get on with these.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Have no fear. Mine has lasted four years and still going strong with no sign of going south anytime soon. The only problem for me with these is I'd like a bit more length.
    Wouldn't surprise me at all. If you can convince people to buy your "premium" Nato or rubber strap, it must be one of the best gigs in town. Production costs on both will be the square root of a gnat's chufty so no reason why you shouldn't get good quality even at very low prices.

Master
    The worst rubber strap I had came with a Seiko Diver - it was very stiff and very uncomfortable. Most of my watches are on Rubber / Silicone straps, though I normally buy the ones with 3-fold clasps, rather than traditional buckles. I generally find the ones with clasps to be very comfortable - and of course more convenient than tang & buckles.

I've found the Hirsch Pure Caoutchouc straps to be reasonably priced and very comfortable.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I've found the Hirsch Pure Caoutchouc straps to be reasonably priced and very comfortable.
    ^^^ This ^^^

It's by far the most comfortable rubber strap I own, currently fitted to an £80 Divex quartz

Master
    Bonetto Cinturini make very comfortable rubber straps.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I like rubber straps - a lot - but they can vary in comfort significantly.
    Have you had an Everest strap by any chance? I had one and didn't think it was worth it but am interesting in trying a RubberB next so would be keen to hear a comparison if you have one.

Not tried Crafter Blue - and given the comments + stiff prices, probably never will.

I can't get on with silicone straps at-all - just feel all wrong and are constantly manky-looking.

To date the only rubber strap I get on well with is the one on my Alpina chrono - super-comfy, never gets dusty. Not much of a pic, but can't be arsed to dig it out and take another...

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Bonetto Cinturini make very comfortable rubber straps.

Definitely.

I put my CW on one as the original strap was stiff and showed no sign of softening.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    I don't think rubber straps will soften with time.

If anything they might get stiffer or more brittle.

Crafter blue are pure horror compared to any other I have tried.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    II have had many hirsch straps and they are great, although they have flat ends - I love the look of the curved fitting straps but can’t believe that they would make them this uncomfortable!

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Crafter blue are pure horror compared to any other I have tried.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk
    It’s pretty bad, I was not expecting it to be like this but it couldn’t be any more uncomfortable, surely they would have tested them

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post

I think you may be right, or it could perish and crack by the time it’s broken in

When I bought my SKX009 ages ago it came on the Z22 strap. As it was so awful I sought advice on here and was told by several members (in all seriousness!) that I should drop it in boiling water to soften it up!

I put it on SC the following day...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Have you had an Everest strap by any chance? I had one and didn't think it was worth it but am interesting in trying a RubberB next so would be keen to hear a comparison if you have one.
    Can’t help I’m afraid. My DSSD arrived on a RubberB and has remained on it ever since. I’ve never had an Everest.

Simon

Craftsman
    When I bought my SKX009 ages ago it came on the Z22 strap. As it was so awful I sought advice on here and was told by several members (in all seriousness!) that I should drop it in boiling water to soften it up!

Simon
    I was told to do that once too. I just bought an aftermarket strap though. There are really nice soft Italian rubber Z22-alikes available.

Craftsman
    I have a crafter blue for my Tudor black bay I'm not that keen on it,not very comfortable and makes it look a bit cheap imo.. I have a longines rubber strap and deployant on my LLD and that is comfortable and looks the part
    As for the z22 strap on my skx007 it was hellish uncomfortable but like a sadist I persevered with it and it actually became quite comfortable in the end...

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Peter franks View Post
    As for the z22 strap on my skx007 it was hellish uncomfortable but like a sadist I persevered with it and it actually became quite comfortable in the end...

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app
    I think you’ll find that makes you a masochist - the bloke who invented the Z22 at Seiko is the sadist!

Full marks for perseverance, anyway!

Simon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Good to know thanks. The strap is rather short but fine for my weedy wrists.

I've had several rubber and silicone straps.

worst ones:
    * cousins silicone tropic and alike for 5-10€. They look quite OK in pictures, but in reality they are too soft.
    * Uncle Seiko - too stiff.

good ones:
    * Baltic tropic strap. Proper size 20/16, not too stiff, quite similar to Oris Tropic. The only complaint is length - 110/70 it's on the edge of shortness on my slim wrist.
    * Borealis Isofrane type - very good for heavy watches (Seamaster, Seiko Turtle), but unfortunately too thick for Explorer II, so it sits in the box waiting for a watch to be paired.
    * Oris tropic - perfect rubber strap. Too bad they cost ~150€ or so.

I had Seiko Turtle on original strap (don't know if it was Z22, it had steel keeper) - it was wearable, but too long for me.

I ordered orange Barton Elite rubber strap, hope I will get before winter :)

Regarding the 'drop it in boiling water' posts, I read some years ago that before doing this one should roll up the strap tightly as possible and tie string around it to hold it firmly in place, then leave in very hot water for a while.
    This will give the band a curved shape that will be more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Regarding the 'drop it in boiling water' posts, I read some years ago that before doing this one should roll up the strap tightly as possible and tie string around it to hold it firmly in place, then leave in very hot water for a while.
    This will give the band a curved shape that will be more comfortable.
    Every rubber diver's strap gets the following treatment,
    1) Roll strap and whilst rolled up place in the bottom of a small cup,
    2) Add boiling water,
    3) Leave for 10 minutes.
    4) Empty water and top cup up with cold water for about 5 minutes.
    5) Repeat 3 or 4 times,
    The more silicone the strap contains the less likely it will hold the shape you want.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I think its more to do with the shape of your wrist and the thickness of the strap than the actual quality of the straps. I have straps from Breitling and isofrane that I cannot wear for more than a couple of hours before they start to become uncomfortable. Then I have a cheaper rubber B-alike from cousins that is thinner so sits nicer on my wrist so can be worn for longer.

Most comfortable rubber for me is a recently acquired Uncle Seiko strap for my 6306.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    2) Add boiling water,
    3) Leave for 10 minutes.
    5) Repeat 3 or 4 times,
    The more silicone the strap contains the less likely it will hold the shape you want.
    'Add milk and sugar to taste'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenko View Post
    I think its more to do with the shape of your wrist and the thickness of the strap than the actual quality of the straps. I have straps from Breitling and isofrane that I cannot wear for more than a couple of hours before they start to become uncomfortable. Then I have a cheaper rubber B-alike from cousins that is thinner so sits nicer on my wrist so can be worn for longer.

Most comfortable rubber for me is a recently acquired Uncle Seiko strap for my 6306.

My g shock is fine and that’s probably plastic so you have a good point here as it forms a better wrist shape! (For my wrist) and does not dig in

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    2) Add boiling water,
    3) Leave for 10 minutes.
    5) Repeat 3 or 4 times,
    This is interesting. I ordered a rubber strap recently and it is almost rigid plastic. On the wrist it would barely bend and looked absurd.

Number 2, with this method, does it actually soften the rubber as well as shape it?

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I often find, the thinner the rubber, the more comfortable it is...

Crafter Blue - update

Quote Originally Posted by TonyAFC8 View Post
    Have just ordered a crafter blue rubber strap for my Tudor GMT, recommended on another thread. Will let you know what it’s like when it arrives

Crafter blue strap arrived end of last week, had it on over the weekend its pretty soft and pre-curved in the design. Fits the case really well.

its comfortable straight out of the packet IMO, its not as good as the rubber strap with my Pelagos but reasonable value.

Rubber straps look great but have always found them to be most uncomfortable.

Simon
    The newer silicone Seiko Z22 is quite comfortable and incomparable to the old version.

Master
    Another fan of Bonetto Cinturini here, comfortable from the outset and they retain that nice vanilla smell.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TonyAFC8 View Post
    Crafter blue strap arrived end of last week, had it on over the weekend its pretty soft and pre-curved in the design. Fits the case really well.

its comfortable straight out of the packet IMO, its not as good as the rubber strap with my Pelagos but reasonable value.

That's a really great-looking combination.

The old Seiko Z22's felt like they were just hard plastic.

Hideously uncomfortable until one day they broke in. ......................................next day they snapped!

I've found the rubber strap on my Breitling Avenger Sea Wolf the most comfortable I have ever worn. I daresay they are expensive though.

Excuse the wrist cak!

Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    That's a really great-looking combination.
    Thank you, I have to give the credit to gaurav_tzuk for the recommendation.

Craftsman
    Rubber is really about the look for me. Same with leather.

If I want comfort, nylon can't be beaten in my opinion.

Rubber is really about the look for me. Same with leather.

If I want comfort, nylon can't be beaten in my opinion.
    I could not agree less...

Simon

Craftsman
    I could not agree less...

Simon
    Oh well. It takes all sorts!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Another fan of Bonetto Cinturini here, comfortable from the outset and they retain that nice vanilla smell.
    Another vote from me for BC - their straps are excellent.

Just received a Tropic original strap and have to say it’s amazing, I would highly recommend one.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Any information on this would be great - keen to try a rubber strap on my DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Scott View Post
    Any information on this would be great - keen to try a rubber strap on my DJ.
    I do not think Rubber B do a rubber strap for the DJ models although stand to be corrected.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Just received a Tropic original strap and have to say it’s amazing, I would highly recommend one.
    Which brand? :-)