closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Long overdue SOTC

Long overdue SOTC

Hello all, I’ve never posted a SOTC before so here’s my first one! In chronological order of purchase (from top left):

I managed to lose my watch on a night out early in my PhD (I was probably ‘tired’). I can’t remember what it was, but I spent the next couple of weeks looking at the wrists of everyone I met. My lab mate “Tiger” had a nice Seiko watch, so much to his annoyance I copied him and my GF bought it me for my birthday. (She became my wife and Tiger was Best Man...but not because of the watch!)

It was recently ‘restored’ by Walkerwek1958 (it led a hard life of ca. 10 years in chemistry labs!) and I’m enjoying wearing it again.

About 10 years ago I woke up one day and suddenly decided I needed a ‘proper’ watch. Just randomly! Initially I was thinking of an radio synced watch (perhaps a citizen), but my lab mate “Seahorse” has a nice Bond-style Omega Seamaster (spot a theme?). But I decided I couldn’t buy the same one as him, so went looking for alternatives. I knew nothing about watches, but discovered that the ‘original Bond’ watch was the Rolex Submariner (yes in the films). They looked nice, but I thought ca.£3k was far too expensive! (sigh).

After extensive searching I settled on an Omega 2254. A superb watch that even looks good on a Bond NATO (thanks Zelig!)

Then I discovered this forum. And one day whilst browsing SC via my phone whilst walking around Ikea (as you do) I bought a Speedmaster (as you do).

The wife seemed less than happy when I told her the price of the Ikea trip! The Speedmaster is probably my favourite watch, I simply love the looks and the history. (Both Omegas were serviced by Walkerwek1958, again a trend!).

The next watch I bought whilst ‘tired’ on holiday. Again from SC.

It’s a 34mm (I think) hand wound Tudor, with a screw down crown (which is annoying). But it’s great, the plexi gives it a real warmth.

It actually looks better on a brown strap, but it’s on a black strap to wear with a dark suit (anyone remember wearing them for work?).

I was very happy with that little collection, until I met Zelig in the pub one night. He fed me beer until I got ‘tired’ and then sold me a NOS 1970s Zenith Sporto. You need to watch him!

It’s a watch that’s very hard to capture on camera with an iPhone! It’s stunning in the flesh.

A couple of years later it became stiff winding it. I was on holiday in Scotland so popped in to see Animalone who had a feel and said “hmmm it doesn’t feel right” and the crown fell off on his fingers! He did a superb job repairing and servicing it.

The next watch was a snap purchase from SC. It arrived in the post very quick to our new house and arrived just before us on the day we moved in! My wife seemed surprised to see there was a package waiting for me, and said “I hope that’s not a bl**dy watch!”

It’s a strange little fun watch, it has a very thick crystal and a dial that can change from orange to brown depending on how the light catches it.

The final one was bought from Unclealec at the last face-to-face Manchester GTG. He found it in a Riley car (!). There was beer involved. You need to watch him too!

Walkerwek1958 did a great job restoring it. The case is a bit battered, but the dial has a real warmth. I’m not sure of the reference number as I’ve not seen a Seamaster day date with that style case before.

So there’s my current little collection. I’ve had some fun choosing and buying them, and made some great mates along the way. Thanks for reading and thanks TZ!

Edit: You’ll notice there is an empty spot in the cheap Aldi watch case (which I actually never use). I have no plans to buy anymore watches!

(I quite like the look of the PRS-29A...and adore 5513s but they remain somewhat aspirational!)

And if you are still reading: this is the sort of thing we used to get up to in the old PhD days. Tiger went on holiday so we repurposed his fume cupboard.

The ‘tiger skin’ is actually his lab coat that we repurposed the first time he went on holiday!

Night all!
    Last edited by Kirk280; 3rd June 2020 at 00:54.

Craftsman
    Kirk - I enjoyed reading that :)

I love the Seamaster date but also just a nice varied collection.

Speedmaster fan here but I love your Edox, the dial is a great colour and the case shape is spot on to

Blog Entries
    Good read! As the government says - Stay Alert! Maybe not get too ‘tired’. Thank you for sharing your collection.

Martyn

Blog Entries
    Cracking collection you have there Kirk.

We were both quite ‘tired’ that night I think...can we infer from reading this that we both ‘tire’ readily ? ...

z

Master
    I read that at the Manchester GTG folk often get tired!

Are you sure the fume cupboard lev is working right, maybe it running positive pressure leading to being tired and the inevitable watch purchases.

Nice collection Kirk

Steve

Lovely collection but for the sake of my OCD you must fill that last space in the box, even if you don’t use it! Edox is fab.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Nice collection, the Tudor looks great on the wrist too.

Tony

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

An interesting write up of a bunch of good looking watches. I enjoyed reading that.

I particularly like the look of the Edox. What size case is it?

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Speedmaster fan here but I love your Edox, the dial is a great colour and the case shape is spot on to
    I also really like the colour of the dial on the Edox and the case . A very nice and varied collection , but the Edox really stands out for me .

Thanks for posting .

Master
    Great collection Kirk.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    An enjoyable write up of an interesting and varied collection Kirk.

Again the Edox is the pick of the bunch for me but I do like that Zenith too.

Hopefully these virtual GTGs are helping to prevent you from buying watches while "tired" even with both Zelig and Unclealec at the last one.

Master
    Nice collection:) I like that Edox. Reminds me of the Seiko Recraft range, but nicer:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah so that's where that Edox went, I remember that being an absolute bargain on SC! Good pick up.

Nice collection there, if ever there could be a fairly affordable perfect 2 watch collection I think the 2254 together with the Speedy would take some beating. But who is content with 2?

You seem to get tired quite a lot, Kirk. Maybe have a word with your GP

Love the fume cupboard story.

Thanks for sharing.

Journeyman
    Nice write up - must try my 2254 on a Nato.

Nice to see the little Edox getting some love; the dial look very different depending on the angle in the sun.

(Yes the last photo was taken the day before!)

Cool collection! I've both the 2254 and the Speedie, love them both.

... Problem nowadays for me is that I'm always tired, and never 'tired' :))

That comment about your wife and the house move made me laugh. Great collection, I do especially like the Omega 2254. Thanks for sharing.

Craftsman
    The omega day/date is interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk