closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Golf newbie question...

I would go to a local club or driving range with a shop and pros attached and ask them - often clubs are part ex’d so you may be able to get a deal on some barely used clubs. Also, I’d get some lessons if you can. I wish I’d done that way before I actually did give in.

Good luck

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    You don't need a full set to start. I would stick to a putter,PW-5i and definitely stay away from a driver. You absolutely don't need one to start and it will only cause grief.
    It might be worth trying a couple of rescue woods instead of a 5i/7i as some people get on with them better. Personally I don't get on with them and prefer irons (I have a couple of lob wedges,PW-2i and a driver).
    Also, my best piece of advice, invest in a few lessons before you do anything. They aren't particularly expensive and will be well worth it. The pro will be able to steer you in the right direction regards clubs to buy.

Have a look at https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/ for secondhand.

A Half set will be plenty to begin with... if you stick with it then once you’ve developed a reasonably repeatable swing you’ll want to get fitted for a new set so no need to spend too much to begin with.

Golf newbie question...

I used to play golf (very badly) years ago, I'm in the mindset of once (if ever) things go back to normal then I may try this game again as maybe something to pass the time...

So question is, what would be an ideal starter set to get going, I was looking at American Golf and maybe a McGregor starter set or should I look at getting some 2nd hand irons, driver, woods and putter myself, if so what would be the minimum range of irons and woods to start with please???

Also anyone recommend some good makes, Mizuno, Ping etc etc...

Craftsman
    Get these from Costco. More than good enough for a starter set.
    https://youtu.be/dxHLtcHWnzI

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Faiz View Post
    Get these from Costco. More than good enough for a starter set.
    https://youtu.be/dxHLtcHWnzI

I don't qualify for a Costco card according to their website...

Lessons first. I would book 6 to start with before I would even consider clubs. I suggest you book them at a GC rather than a driving range, purely because a GC will have a putting green and bunkers. These require lessons as well.

Assume you like the game, don’t buy some crappy new clubs. Buy good quality second hand clubs. I would suggest Ping, TaylorMade or Callaway for starters. The reason is that what makes a good golf club is not the club head, it’s the shaft.

when you are finally ready to spend some real money, get yourself along to a pro who can custom fit and he will help you select the best clubs and shafts for your swing.

personally I wouldn’t bother with a half set unless you are playing little 9 hole pitch and putt courses.

Finally YouTube has 1000’s of golf videos which are actually quite useful. Start with looking at the grip. A good grip is key to good golf.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

When I first started playing I used some of my grandads old clubs while checking ebay every day for full 2nd hand sets local to me.
    Ended up with some nice callaway ones, decent bag and ping putter for £80.
    After a year I sold them on and bought a 2nd hand titleist set.
    Definetly go 2nd hand, you can get some bargains

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Have to say after watching the YouTube vid on those Callaway Edge sets I’m thinking they will do for me to allow me to hack round, I’ve emailed my local course for more info on their golf lessons which is something i will buy as and when the corona thing allows lessons at a course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Have to say after watching the YouTube vid on those Callaway Edge sets I’m thinking they will do for me to allow me to hack round, I’ve emailed my local course for more info on their golf lessons which is something i will buy as and when the corona thing allows lessons at a course.

Just have a look for some irons and a 3 wood on ebay. Many will say do not get a driver, but smashing a driver down the fairway is what keeps golfers coming back (it does not have to be the fairway you should be on)
    Any cavity back iron will do. callaway, ping, taylormade or cleeveland. I would steer clear ot titleist or mizuno

Master
    Go to a well regarded golf equipment store (or club) and get a fitting as you will then have an idea as to what specifications you require in either new game improvement irons or some 2nd hand clubs (shaft swing weight, loft, lie, length etc). Buying new or 2nd clubs that aren't suited to your current swing risks as you seeing slower progress and/or making swing changes to counteract the effects of the clubs not suiting you.
    As you improve your swing will change so don't spend fortunes at this point on clubs, better spending it on a fitting, lessons and practice.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Go to a well regarded golf equipment store (or club) and get a fitting as you will then have an idea as to what specifications you require in either new game improvement irons or some 2nd hand clubs (shaft swing weight, loft, lie, length etc). Buying new or 2nd clubs that aren't suited to your current swing risks as you seeing slower progress and/or making swing changes to counteract the effects of the clubs not suiting you.
    As you improve your swing will change so don't spend fortunes at this point on clubs, better spending it on a fitting, lessons and practice.
    Ok appreciate the advice, I was just thinking I could get say that Callaway full set, then get some lessons and just keep hitting the driving range and some cheapish local courses in my spare time then once I do see signs of improving then I could go have a look at some fitting and maybe spending more on clubs ideal for me...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Where are you located in the North East, presumably England??

I have a lot of oddment clubs you can have to try out and see if you like the game first. I’m near edinburgh.

Jim

I used to play golf (very badly) years ago, I'm in the mindset of once (if ever) things go back to normal then I may try this game again as maybe something to pass the time...

So question is, what would be an ideal starter set to get going, I was looking at American Golf and maybe a McGregor starter set or should I look at getting some 2nd hand irons, driver, woods and putter myself, if so what would be the minimum range of irons and woods to start with please???

Also anyone recommend some good makes, Mizuno, Ping etc etc...

Very solid advice. This is the path I’d also recommend to any new golfer as change (improvement) is inevitable.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Eminently sensible.

Jim

Ok appreciate the advice, I was just thinking I could get say that Callaway full set, then get some lessons and just keep hitting the driving range and some cheapish local courses in my spare time then once I do see signs of improving then I could go have a look at some fitting and maybe spending more on clubs ideal for me...

I picked up the callaway edge irons for £67 from eBay . Immaculate too. Very pleased - I’m a beginnner too .

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    I picked up the callaway edge irons for £67 from eBay . Immaculate too. Very pleased - I’m a beginnner too .
    £67 for a fullset???
    Wow thats a deal...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Where are you located in the North East, presumably England??

I have a lot of oddment clubs you can have to try out and see if you like the game first. I’m near edinburgh.

Jim
    Thanks for the offer Jim, I'm based just outside of Middlesbrough otherwise I may of took you up on that offer...

Craftsman
    Buy the Costco callaway or some second hand clubs and get out there and have some fun along with a lesson or two.
    Don't take it so seriously that you get frustrated and scared off right from the beginning. No need to spend big money to get back into it.

Master
    That's what I'm doing. Started back in August. I played a little 20 years previously, but considered myself a newbie. I actually bought a cheap Wilson set, as I didn't know enough to judge good from bad second hand. If I stick with it (and I thing I will as I'm having fun) I'll spend some money on a fitting and better clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Faiz View Post
    Buy the Costco callaway or some second hand clubs and get out there and have some fun along with a lesson or two.
    Don't take it so seriously that you get frustrated and scared off right from the beginning. No need to spend big money to get back into it.

I have, i've just bought the Callaway set so I'll hopefully get some swings in when I get home and see if I can get lessons at my local club...
    Appreciate all the advice all...
    Last edited by Martylaa; 2nd June 2020 at 21:40.

£67 for a fullset???
    Wow thats a deal...
    Just the irons , didn’t have the putter , hybrid , wood and driver . Event still at £67 I was really pleased .

Just the irons , didn’t have the putter , hybrid , wood and driver . Event still at £67 I was really pleased .
    Wow thats still an amazing deal

I forgot the auction had ended and was surprised when I got an email from eBay .

Look at this - I was up against one of other bidder.

I also won an immaculate Odyssey 2 ball putter although that wasn’t as much of a bargain as the irons .

I love scouting eBay for decent deals for golf kit

Master
    I've bought lots of second hand clubs over the years but recognised the benefit of being properly fitted when I had the chance to see/feel the differences between clubs that suit you and ones that don't (feel, distance, consistency, spin, dispersion etc). Given what I pay for membership and the time I spend playing, I now recognise that saving a little on second hand clubs was a false economy and didn't improve my game as much as it could/should.
    Anyway, happy playing and good luck.

I really look forward to the day I’m good enough to warrant fitted clubs!

I’ve recently taken it up

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Personally I don't like spending much time in driving ranges. I find it too artificial and ultimately of little help whereas I find on course practice much more beneficial.

However if the range has a chipping area and bunker then practice those shots...that'll be much more use than trying to welly a bucket of 50 at some random target.

Despite the comment about getting a driver so you can lash one away...I still maintain that for a beginner the last thing they need to be trying to do is lash a driver. They will be much better off developing a steady and repeatable swing with other clubs. The feelgood factor of one lucky drive is hugely outweighed by the frustration of continually duffing/slicing/hooking/topping the ball and then wandering around on other holes looking for your ball. Play it shorter and straighter and have a playable second shot.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Personally I don't like spending much time in driving ranges. I find it too artificial and ultimately of little help whereas I find on course practice much more beneficial.

However if the range has a chipping area and bunker then practice those shots...that'll be much more use than trying to welly a bucket of 50 at some random target.

Despite the comment about getting a driver so you can lash one away...I still maintain that for a beginner the last thing they need to be trying to do is lash a driver. They will be much better off developing a steady and repeatable swing with other clubs. The feelgood factor of one lucky drive is hugely outweighed by the frustration of continually duffing/slicing/hooking/topping the ball and then wandering around on other holes looking for your ball. Play it shorter and straighter and have a playable second shot.
    Can't argue with this, sound advice.

Master

Its probably why i am stuck at 18 hcp my rounds have pars and the odd birdie and too many blobs.

Master
    I really look forward to the day I’m good enough to warrant fitted clubs!
    Fitted clubs aren't the preserve of Cat 1 golfers and may well be a significant factor in them being Cat 1 (Cat 2 and 3 apply equally here). A fitting session costs c£30 and most places would give that as a credit if you subsequently purchased a club. Lessons and practice will be more beneficial for beginners but once you have a reasonably consistent swing you should check your clubs are helping and not hindering your game: a fitted driver is likely to save you a few shots by adding length/consistency and reducing dispersion off the tee.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 3rd June 2020 at 09:58.

I found this to my detriment too . I spent ages on a range , being a touch intimidated to go on a course till I could hit a ball and I found anything I could do in the range I couldn't replicate or make us of in the course.

I recently went to a course for the first time last week- I am going again tomorrow and I haven't been to the range at all inbetween that time.

Fitted clubs aren't the preserve of Cat 1 golfers and may well be a significant factor in them being Cat 1 (Cat 2 and 3 apply equally here). A fitting session costs c£30 and most places would give that as a credit if you subsequently purchased a club. Lessons and practice will be more beneficial for beginners but once you have a reasonably consistent swing you should check your clubs are helping and not hindering your game: a fitted driver is likely to save you a few shots by adding length/consistency and reducing dispersion off the tee.

Agreed with lessons, I wish i had got them sooner. Like an idiot I wanted to be able to hit a ball before I did, not knowing i would have had learnt bad habits by then. However having lessons has been the best thing I did. So interesting to see it from another angle where I am going wrong.

Once i have a bit more consistency I'll probably pop in for a fitting session.

Craftsman
    Started with a Wilson set from AG.
    Have since been fitted for a driver, irons and a putter.
    I do play better with the clubs that cost 2k but is that because of practice and experience?
    Crossfield done a video not that long ago about a starter set and his distances weren't that far off his normal numbers

Master
    A word of warning when buying s/h clubs on Ebay etc - beware of fakes.

Many years ago I bought an Odyssey putter with the steel insert on Ebay and I was suspicious when it arrived, mainly due to the quality, or lack of on the head cover. I put it to the back of my mind because bargain, but after one round the 'steel' insert was badly marked up and that's when I realised it was actually aluminium and the club had to be fake. It was all sorted through Ebay but this was around 15 years ago and I'd imagine there are many more fake clubs out there now in circulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    A word of warning when buying s/h clubs on Ebay etc - beware of fakes.

Many years ago I bought an Odyssey putter with the steel insert on Ebay and I was suspicious when it arrived, mainly due to the quality, or lack of on the head cover. I put it to the back of my mind because bargain, but after one round the 'steel' insert was badly marked up and that's when I realised it was actually aluminium and the club had to be fake. It was all sorted through Ebay but this was around 15 years ago and I'd imagine there are many more fake clubs out there now in circulation.
    I didn't bother with the 2nd hand clubs in the end, i went for this set from Callaway, just getting my first lesson booked for next time home now and away we go...

https://www.costco.co.uk/Sports-Spas...anded/p/273385

Craftsman

Golf newbie question...

I played golf for over 20 years and then i met a clubsmith who looked at my set up and laughed so he fitted my clubs to suit me, he layed them off a bit and lengthend them by 1.5inches, forget buying the newest superdooper club this was the single best investment i had ever made and in my case golf ate money much quicker than watches ever could

That said i broke the addiction about 8 years ago and not touched a club since and never been happier

Craftsman
    I didn't bother with the 2nd hand clubs in the end, i went for this set from Callaway, just getting my first lesson booked for next time home now and away we go...

https://www.costco.co.uk/Sports-Spas...anded/p/273385
    A lot of club for not a lot of money...bargain

Personally I find the driving range really useful between trips to the course. Much easier to iron out swing issues in that environment, than it is on the course when every shot is different.

Playing on the course is fantastic and you can’t come close replicating it elsewhere - but for honing your swing and developing good habits, the repetitive nature of hitting a load of balls at the range works for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabsy View Post
    Just have a look for some irons and a 3 wood on ebay. Many will say do not get a driver, but smashing a driver down the fairway is what keeps golfers coming back (it does not have to be the fairway you should be on)
    Any cavity back iron will do. callaway, ping, taylormade or cleeveland. I would steer clear ot titleist or mizuno
    why would you say steer clear of mizuno or titleist...these are the best you can get for the average golfer

mizuno forged very soft feel and easy to hit

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the offer Jim, I'm based just outside of Middlesbrough otherwise I may of took you up on that offer...
    No worries. Hope you get fixed up and enjoy the fun of golf.

Jim