closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vintage car ID?

Vintage car ID?

Hi car enthusiast collective, can anyone ID this car from this old painting? A family friend found it in his late fathers papers, probably painted by his father of his father, it looks like a early one, Im guessing between the wars? Maybe a kit of some sort? Not surprisingly, the plate doesn't show up on the DVLA website.
    I said I would ask on here.
    Thanks in advance.

Cheers..
    Jase

The proportions look a little weird.

From the front it looks a bit like an MG but the bonnet is too short and the wheels are too small. Can't make head or tail of the rear.

Closest I can suggest is a LLoyd.

The number plate was issued in Cornwall in 1948, but given its single digit could well have been procured for a special build or relevence to the owner. You could buy personalised plates even in 1948!

https://cartype.com/pages/1432/lloyd_uk

^That Lloyd 350 is very cute. Is this the start of a rocky road I ask myself...

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Closest I can suggest is a LLoyd.

The number plate was issued in Cornwall in 1948, but given its single digit could well have been procured for a special build or relevence to the owner. You could buy personalised plates even in 1948!

https://cartype.com/pages/1432/lloyd_uk

Thanks, thats a possibility, I know that this era was full of 'specials' on common chassis, but that looks good, Ill pass on the number plate info, thanks again.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Hi car enthusiast collective, can anyone ID this car from this old painting? A family friend found it in his late fathers papers, probably painted by his father of his father, it looks like a early one, Im guessing between the wars? Maybe a kit of some sort? Not surprisingly, the plate doesn't show up on the DVLA website.
    I said I would ask on here.
    Thanks in advance.

Pretty sure people I know will have the answer to this for you. Happy for me to share it with them?

Try wading through this lot: https://smallcarsclub.com/c/catalog/

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    Pretty sure people I know will have the answer to this for you. Happy for me to share it with them?
    Absolutely, thank you.
    Cheers..
    Jase

The proportions and wheel size suggest a "microcar", a genre which appeared in post-war austerity Britain, as an attempt to mobilise the masses, the car pictured has four wheels, whereas early on in the development of the genre the British Government issued a decree that microcars should be capable of being driven on a motorcycle licence, and were to have three wheels.

So a very early example of a microcar, possibly motorcycle engined, and from the picture it might have a part fabric body.

They don't make them like that any more. Uncle Alec must have one hidden away somewhere, probably in his loft.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Have asked the Q of suitably qualified chums. In the meantime, these people are great for tracing things. Helped find the history of my friend's TR2 in order to defeat the evil DVLA. http://kitheadtrust.org.uk/

you also need to take artistic license into account - it may well just be made up by whoever did the painting (all you need to 'make' a car is a few wheels on a body )

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I was thinking Rytecraft, a modded BSA or even a modded Austin 7.

However it lack of grill suggests that it might actually be air cooled (with the engine in the back).
    It's no impossible it's even a velocar, a la Charles Mochet

I was thinking Rytecraft, a modded BSA or even a modded Austin 7.

However it lack of grill suggests that it might actually be air cooled (with the engine in the back).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

If I were a betting man I'd say this is a pastiche of the typical period microcar; the lack of obvious engine cooling is a pointer to that IMO.