closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rolex waiting list time

Congratulations and I'm sure you're enjoying checking the time far more frequently than is necessary!

Journeyman
    Gorgeous watch Mike well wear!

Journeyman
    Sorry to tack onto an old thread, but what's the situation now? I am getting married in August and would like to get a present to go with it... My history is mostly £500-1000 watches so I haven't got any cred build up with an AD.

There are lots of brands i like, but a Rolex would certainly tick the 'special keeper' box. Always wanted a sub but not wanting to pay 10k for one, so doesn't seem that would be feasible... (And not sure it's right for the occasion). Are datejusts / explorers reasonably easy to get? If I go to my local goldsmith's will they search across the WOS group or will I have to go visiting to see what's out there?

Unfortunately there are no indy AD near me, it's WOS or nothing it seems (Essex)...

I am planning on dropping by tomorrow but would be great to have some expectations set...

Blog Entries
    I offered my 14060 to a well-known vintage watch dealer in the South of the Netherlands. The deal was done in seconds. He offered me than I expected and I'll take the watch to him next week. The two facts (speedy deal and good price) are a give-away of shortage.

(So, why not sell the watch here? The p!ta situation of trying to export a watch to the UK after the effectuation of Brexit. And the impossibility (for me) to insure the shipment of the watch.)

Quote Originally Posted by lex524 View Post
    Sorry to tack onto an old thread, but what's the situation now? I am getting married in August and would like to get a present to go with it... My history is mostly £500-1000 watches so I haven't got any cred build up with an AD.

There are lots of brands i like, but a Rolex would certainly tick the 'special keeper' box. Always wanted a sub but not wanting to pay 10k for one, so doesn't seem that would be feasible... (And not sure it's right for the occasion). Are datejusts / explorers reasonably easy to get? If I go to my local goldsmith's will they search across the WOS group or will I have to go visiting to see what's out there?

Unfortunately there are no indy AD near me, it's WOS or nothing it seems (Essex)...

I am planning on dropping by tomorrow but would be great to have some expectations set...
    I got an explorer within a week and a ND sub in four months from WoS last year/this year with no previous history at all.
    They have been nothing but polite and professional

I think I got lucky on the Explorer. No idea what the order book looks like now it is the new 36mm version though

I think there is a more recnt thread on this somewhere.

I think you have more chance just dealing with your local WoS than ringing round. They don't operate a central register.
    Last edited by Kevin; 8th May 2021 at 19:02.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I got an explorer within a week and a ND sub in four months from WoS last year/this year with no previous history at all.
    They have been nothing but polite and professional

I think I got lucky on the Explorer. No idea what the order book looks like now it is the new 36mm version though

I think there is a more recnt thread on this somewhere.

I think you have more chance just dealing with your local WoS than ringing round. They don't operate a central register.
    Great insight, thanks Kevin. My locals are mostly Goldsmiths, but it's the same group as WOS and M&W I believe. I did once go to the WOS on bond st and they were nice.

Craftsman
    I ordered/expressed an interest or whatever the cool kids call it, for a 124060 Submariner in October. I’m not feeling enthused at the wait so far or the prospect of the wait to come. I’m a customer with Rolex and other bits purchase history, the AD has been pretty clear that they look after their big spenders first.

I’m envisaging a tour to some other ADs to offer to move my future business.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    I offered my 14060 to a well-known vintage watch dealer in the South of the Netherlands. The deal was done in seconds. He offered me than I expected and I'll take the watch to him next week. The two facts (speedy deal and good price) are a give-away of shortage.

(So, why not sell the watch here? The p!ta situation of trying to export a watch to the UK after the effectuation of Brexit. And the impossibility (for me) to insure the shipment of the watch.)
    But what if your buyer was based in Northern Ireland?

I'm sniffing around, sorry.

Asked my local AD if they would be interested in my Hulk as i was thinking of moving to an Explorer.

They said yes but clearly stated their offer after viewing it would be below the retail price of what it originally sold for.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Asked my local AD if they would be interested in my Hulk as i was thinking of moving to an Explorer.

They said yes but clearly stated their offer after viewing it would be below the retail price of what it originally sold for.
    Hilarious! I hope you gave them a two word response to their “generous” offer. I’m assuming you don’t have “Welcome” tattooed on your forehead!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    I’m envisaging a tour to some other ADs to offer to move my future business.
    Think you’ll struggle to find an AD who doesn’t have a long list. My AD won’t deal with anyone new outside the postcode area!

On the other hand, no harm in trying.

Master
    I thought, from what I’d read here, that they did. If they don’t, you can have a field day with the number of outlets they have.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Think you’ll struggle to find an AD who doesn’t have a long list. My AD won’t deal with anyone new outside the postcode area!

On the other hand, no harm in trying.
    I think there’s a good chance it’s a fool’s errand. Still, nice afternoon mooching about the ADs when it’s a bit wiser.

Master

Good God
    That's worse than trading your car in.
    I do hope you pointed out you weren't born yesterday.

Hilarious! I hope you gave them a two word response to their “generous” offer. I’m assuming you don’t have “Welcome” tattooed on your forehead!
    It was via email and i didn’t even reply, after all I’m sure whatever i said would have been lost on a person making such an idiotic offer.

I wonder if they planned to put it in their window for the original list price? Hmmm

It was via email and i didn’t even reply, after all I’m sure whatever i said would have been lost on a person making such an idiotic offer.

I wonder if they planned to put it in their window for the original list price? Hmmm

Sad thing is there will be one person out there who for whatever reason accepts their “generous” offer.

Journeyman
    So I dropped into local Goldsmiths today, a few things I learnt... (Probably)

- waiting for a sub is about a year. But sometimes one comes in and just no one wants it right then. But generally, it's a year or so. There was no laughing about going on the list. Just quote matter of fact. A Daytona is about a decade!

- Datejust no issue to get. They will even swap bracelets around if you want (assume this is legit). New oysters on c. 6 month list.

- If you try and sell /trade something recent to them they will offer lower than retail, as they won't / can't offer more then they sell it for. If it's older, different game (eg 20yr old sub you will get more than a 6 week old one). So sell it on here!!

So I am still considering... I did quite like the 36 datejust, oddly quite liked the jubilee/smooth... Which isn't a common combo.
    Last edited by lex524; 9th May 2021 at 21:42.

Craftsman
    So I dropped into local Goldsmiths today, a few things I learnt... (Probably)

- waiting for a sub is about a year. But sometimes one comes in and just no one wants it right then. But generally, it's a year or so..
    If only it was the case for the green bezel 126610LV

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysqueek View Post
    If only it was the case for the green bezel 126610LV
    Yeah I didn't even bother asking!!

Journeyman
    I’ll be going to WoS in Cardiff later this week, to register interest for a no date sub (124060) I’ll come back and let you know what they say. My only purchase history is a BB58 from a goldsmiths, but still part of their group.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by P3T3R View Post
    I’ll be going to WoS in Cardiff later this week, to register interest for a no date sub (124060) I’ll come back and let you know what they say. My only purchase history is a BB58 from a goldsmiths, but still part of their group.
    Fingers crossed it’s a positive experience

Master
    Lot of mentions of the big chains. But there is another way......use of local independents. Especially out off-the largest cities. These ‘family’ type jewellers can be nicer to deal with. And tend to have a more stable set of staff over a longer period. Go for the smaller cities and towns. Where I live,on the South coast, you can find independents in places like Eastbourne and Chichester. Good shops too.
    Oddly, I’ve never bought from a chain.

My purchase history is with a small AD not part of the WoS group and in hindsight I don’t think it was a smart move.

Bought watches and jewellery and still was told that Date Sub is likely going to be 2 years, EXP 2 the same and 6-12 months for 41mm DJ.
    They told me that at the rate they are getting watches allocated, GMT II would be 20 years wait (they get 1-2 per year).

All in all, yes you do get more attention but on the other hand they get much less watches allocated by Rolex than the WoS group. And it’s not like they get less interest..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dade.c View Post
    My purchase history is with a small AD not part of the WoS group and in hindsight I don’t think it was a smart move.

Bought watches and jewellery and still was told that Date Sub is likely going to be 2 years, EXP 2 the same and 6-12 months for 41mm DJ.
    They told me that at the rate they are getting watches allocated, GMT II would be 20 years wait (they get 1-2 per year).

All in all, yes you do get more attention but on the other hand they get much less watches allocated by Rolex than the WoS group. And it’s not like they get less interest..

If you’re in Leamington, your nearest is Pragnell in Stratford?

I thought, from what I’d read here, that they did. If they don’t, you can have a field day with the number of outlets they have.
    I meant from a procurement point of view, you won't get a call from your local shop saying 'Our XXXXX shop has one and we are getting it sent over'

My understanding is that they do operate a central register with regard to people who have registered an interest and delete people who have made multiple applications, as has been stated I think you are better off with a local post code at your local store.
    Last edited by Kevin; 10th May 2021 at 16:33. Reason: typos

Honestly the best thing to do is pop to your local AD, tell them what you want and leave it at that. Don't stress about it, it's just a watch, there's plenty of others out there. If it turns up, great, nice surprise. If it doesn't, great, that's £x000s of cash to spend elsewhere. Either way you win

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have weakened and shown interest in another watch ... sub ND. Since the new version came out I've been interested ...

So, contacted my local Goldsmiths (where I bought the 58) ... he had a Sub Date in which was allocated but he invited me into the store to try it on to see if I liked it ... popped in was well looked after and told the guy I'd like a Sub ND ... he said fine he would do what he could to sort one for me ... said it could take a while 1-2 years ; I told him just to contact me if one came available ... all very relaxed service was very good and professional. We will see ...

Quote Originally Posted by PSTW View Post
    If you’re in Leamington, your nearest is Pragnell in Stratford?
    Used to live in Wolverhampton before so kinda stuck with Rudells…

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Honestly the best thing to do is pop to your local AD, tell them what you want and leave it at that. Don't stress about it, it's just a watch, there's plenty of others out there. If it turns up, great, nice surprise. If it doesn't, great, that's £x000s of cash to spend elsewhere. Either way you win
    This is the best advice I've seen on this subject!!!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I have weakened and shown interest in another watch ... sub ND. Since the new version came out I've been interested ...

So, contacted my local Goldsmiths (where I bought the 58) ... he had a Sub Date in which was allocated but he invited me into the store to try it on to see if I liked it ... popped in was well looked after and told the guy I'd like a Sub ND ... he said fine he would do what he could to sort one for me ... said it could take a while 1-2 years ; I told him just to contact me if one came available ... all very relaxed service was very good and professional. We will see ...
    Yeah Goldsmiths seem ok (from my 1 visit!)... If they are being clear and not condescending then it just is what it is.

I find it was when people say that the AD was ride. It's just unnecessary. It's the same in other luxury / rare items - they are hard to get, it's v intentional, and it's partly why people want them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yeah Goldsmiths seem ok (from my 1 visit!)... If they are being clear and not condescending then it just is what it is.

Exactly that, they guy was very professional and personable and let me try the watch on for some time comparing it to two other watches I had brought with me for comparison. He made no promises but did indicate if I was patient we should get there in time. If one turns up that’s good, but if not I have other watches ...

There were no snide remarks or condescending looks ...