closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dictionary help

Master

Dictionary help

Hi all,

I'm looking for an up to date or recent dictionary suitable for an 11/12 year old or there abouts. I ordered a large print version but didn't realise it was an older edition and not as relevant as I expected - the large print wasn't that large either.

Looking to buy an Oxford English dictionary but there is so many to choose from, mini, pocket, concise, colour etc etc.

Can anyone recommend something appropriate, doesn't have to be large print and doesn't have to be Oxford either.

Thanks

The more you spend the more information per word you get. But then it's a bigger book and more challenging to search through. You need to weigh-up the benefits of more information vs. it being more concise thus possibly encouraging more use.

Does it have to be a hard copy? I ask as manually searching through texts like that is going the way of the dodo (I'm not saying I agree with this!), and will lack the international context provided by online results which may be more educational in the long run.

Buy the Shorter OED.

It's literally a gift that lasts a lifetime. Think mine was about £70.

I get my children to use it as an encyclopedia as well.

They'll be able to take it to college when they're older, too.

Also very good for getting them off phones and Google.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    The more you spend the more information per word you get. But then it's a bigger book and more challenging to search through. You need to weigh-up the benefits of more information vs. it being more concise thus possibly encouraging more use.

Does it have to be a hard copy? I ask as manually searching through texts like that is going the way of the dodo (I'm not saying I agree with this!), and will lack the international context provided by online results which may be more educational in the long run.
    Yes it has to be a hardcopy for now as I want them not to rely on google and learn how use a dictionary correctly and also expose them to other words as they browse.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Buy the Shorter OED.

It's literally a gift that lasts a lifetime. Think mine was about £70.

I get my children to use it as an encyclopedia as well.

They'll be able to take it to college when they're older, too.

Also very good for getting them off phones and Google.
    Is that what its called, Shorter? or do you mean the smaller version i.e. mini or pocket?

Much prefer hard copy. Like the feel of a book an to be able to open it anywhere and find something interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post

Is that what its called, Shorter? or do you mean the smaller version i.e. mini or pocket?
    Yes, it's two large volumes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/01992068..._0rq1Eb47696SM

There's stuff in the Shorter OED that you'll struggle to find on Google. In particular, accurate etymology. This will help your children when it comes to Shakespeare, Old English etc.

There's stuff in the Shorter OED that you'll struggle to find on Google. In particular, accurate etymology. This will help your children when it comes to Shakespeare, Old English etc.
    Etymonline is a superb resource - I probably use it more often than any other search engine when finding out what words mean.

^Yes, the trouble is that children are so used to getting results quickly they don't tend to be discerning. Whatever the first result is goes in.

Also, when a teacher has had the same Wikipedia article regurgitated 29 times, the bespoke content of the OED comes into its own.

One day I'll get the full edition.

I don't see what insects have to do with it......

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I don't see what insects have to do with it......
    It bugs me that I can't think of a good joke confusing etymology and entomology.

Thomas Reid
    The shorter is also my "go to" printed dictionary (when I have access to my office).

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    It bugs me that I can't think of a good joke confusing etymology and entomology.

Ah! Of course!

If only I had a good dictionary.
    I am holding off buying one because I can't find one with an index.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Yes it has to be a hardcopy for now as I want them not to rely on google and learn how use a dictionary correctly and also expose them to other words as they browse.

The Oxford English Dictionary is an alternative. The Miriam Webster is good too. I bought the OED for my son. He's 11 now so he knows everything!

Journeyman
    you can presently buy online access to the complete OED for 90 pounds per year

https://public.oed.com/help/how-to-subscribe/

Quote Originally Posted by bitt3n View Post

I was thinking about this.

It would be good for me.

But for children, they get a bit lazy with online content and it's good for them to use the printed version. It's harder to find the word and gets them used to manually searching.

Thomas Reid
    With a printed dictionary there is also a better chance of running into nifty new words while looking up something. There have been a number of occasions where I've had to remember what I was looking up, being distracted by new discoveries.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bitt3n View Post

Or else see Accessing the OED via a subscribing institution

Many public, university, and institutional libraries across the world subscribe to the OED Online. Speak to your librarian to find out whether your library subscribes.

Nearly all public libraries in England, Scotland, and Wales subscribe to the OED Online. This means you can access the dictionary, free, via your local library. Contact your local library to find out more.

Most libraries also offer ‘remote access’. This means that, if you are a member of your local library, you can access the OED Online for free anywhere you have internet access. Just enter your library membership number (on your library card) in the box provided under Library account. If you encounter difficulties entering the site using your library card number, please consult your librarian.

That does it for me as it has all the background you can wish for. Add in the occasional visit to www.merriam-webster.com to see what's going on over the pond and I'm sorted.

The OED is probably a bit much for an 11 yo, but I may be wrong. The free online offerings www.lexico.com (Oxford) and https://dictionary.cambridge.org are pretty good but, as others have noted, lack any etymology. I too like hard copy books, but the online sources have taken over for me as they're available just about anywhere and don't go out of date (but may not include some of the more modern usage).

As an aside, my test of a dictionary used to be to look up 'mellit', a noun that was obsolete even in my youth...but it was is some dictionaries. I can now only find it in the OED.

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    With a printed dictionary there is also a better chance of running into nifty new words while looking up something. There have been a number of occasions where I've had to remember what I was looking up, being distracted by new discoveries.

Best wishes,
    Bob
    Yes, that's a great point. If I open the Shorter OED at a random page, I'll know only a minority of the words.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Or else see Accessing the OED via a subscribing institution

Most libraries also offer ‘remote access’. This means that, if you are a member of your local library, you can access the OED Online for free anywhere you have internet access. Just enter your library membership number (on your library card) in the box provided under Library account. If you encounter difficulties entering the site using your library card number, please consult your librarian.
    I didn't know that. I shall investigate interfrastically.

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    There have been a number of occasions where I've had to remember what I was looking up, being distracted by new discoveries.
    That may just be old age creeping in Bob :-).

Journeyman
    one good thing about looking up words online is it's easy to copy the definition into a flashcard program and then quiz yourself on the definitions of all your new words on your phone in down moments.

Thomas Reid
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    That may just be old age creeping in Bob :-).
    "Senelity" and "serendipity" are nearly kissing cousins in the shorter.

Best wishes,
    Bob