closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Litter

Master
    Blog Entries

Litter

Anyone else noticing it lately? It was on central news last night showing a park where loads of rubbish just left https://www.itv.com/news/central/202...njoy-sunshine/ I know councils are probably not emptying bins as much but thats no excuse. Walked across a local park this morning and again rubbish everywhere just left. Also keep seeing loads of them little gas bottles. Went on a walk up a river and someone had left a 'lit' barbecue next to a full bin just smouldering away, local lake by us barbecues and cans left everywhere. I just dont know how people can not give a **** like that.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yep, went for a walk last night in the field near me in Abingdon, dirty gits had left chip wrappers and polystyrene cups with curry sauce ... beggars belief.
    Will be taking gloves on my walk tonight and picking it up but these scrotes really boil my urine!

Disgraceful behaviour up here at Richmond (N Yorks) where the falls are, litter everywhere, soiled nappies, drug syringes, folks urinating... Dozy Police stood watching it all.Total disregard for social distancing This was a few local beauty spots where the same happened. What's wrong with society?

Quite a few volunteer litter pickers up here which is reassuring and sad. I really just don't get litter.

Master
    Shouted at a bunch of men ( not even kids) for shoving their cheap cider empties into the hedge of the city farm next to where I live.
    This was after they attracted my attention by being loutish to another member of the public outside.

They scarpered up the river bank by the time I emerged to remove their rubbish , a bin is of course merely 50ft away from where they dumped it.
    The farm is currently maintained by volunteers.

Another time a family went to the farm gate and offered their out of date veggies to the farm for animal feed.
    A member of staff explained politely that they didn't accept food donations for the animals as they would have to examine it carefully for safety and the farm couldn't afford the time or man power to pour through 3 bags of old veggies.

Family went on their way then stopped by the litter bin 30feet up the road and dumped three carrier bags full on the ground next to the bin , couldn't even be bothered to put it in the bin.

I've also lost count of the used nappies dumped on the buses in London.

People just suck

Craftsman
    I live by the near to the river Thames in Surrey and as lovely as it is the litter is becoming an issue. The council do provide bins but they are not large enough to cater for the number of visitors and they soon overflow and then the foxes pull the rubbish out at night - that then gets into the river amongst the wildlife, etc, etc. I was always taught to take your rubbish home with you - it's not rocket science but some people...........

Am I right in thinking that the cities in Japan are really litter free - how do they manage to instil standards amongst folk!? Or is South Korea with strict anti littering policies?

It's been complete carnage in Portsmouth - they've put out extra bins on places like the common, and most people are being sensible, but it's young lads predominantly and the girls hanging around with them. Called out a guy on a bike who launched a bottle onto the railway lines last week and asked him if he though that there weren't enough bins in the park for him to put them in (bins at all entrances/exits) and his response was to get off his bike, unlock his seat post from his bike to create a weapon and ask me what I was gonna do to make him - this clearly isn't their first rodeo for a lot of them.

Big groups openly drinking and smoking weed/using nitrous during the day in plain sight, completely ignoring advice and generally making open spaces a miserable place to be for anyone else even if they're just passing through. I just can't get my head round it. Police seemingly not interested in public order at the moment, either. Mind you, who are these idiots going to Durdle Door from London? Makes my blood boil.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52876174
    Last edited by Gromdal; 1st June 2020 at 16:22.

Master

Pinner Memorial Park. Every Park in Harrow is the same.

Master
    Scenes like these make you appreciate why our politicians (of all parties) always seem to lecture to the lowest "common" denominator in society, when addressing the nation! (Don't assume anything by my comments. It's just an opinion!). I've had to deal with Joe Public for years and he can be a messy and unruly beast (thankfully not all of the time!).

Have to say I feel a lot of sympathy for the Police, I just don't think they have the bobbies on the streets to do the job we want to the standard we want.

People come in all shades of the spectrum, we're at one end and those who dump their crap are at the other, we don't understand why they can't take their sh*t home and they don't know what the fuss is about.

As Covid-19 is still lurking around I imagine these gatherings will contribute to our mortality rate in a few weeks, whilst keeping our nursing staff on their toes.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    As someone with an uncanny ability to gravitate towards and then tread in dog dirt I did give a wry smile last week when hearing about dog owners at Frensham Ponds,Surrey, complaining that their mutts had rolled in ‘man dirt’ while at the beach area.

Actually, it’s utterly revolting how low people will go. The ‘man dirt’ was apparently only part of the picture; unbelievably Fido and friends were also retrieving used sanitary products stuffed in hedges. Gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Am I right in thinking that the cities in Japan are really litter free - how do they manage to instil standards amongst folk!? Or is South Korea with strict anti littering policies?
    They are very strict in Japan. Kids are taught respect at school and are told to greet foreigners in the street of they see one.
    The train stations are so clean that you can eat your food off them. This was told to me by my Yamaha rep when he was there.
    Police don't stand any nonsense there.

On the other hand, and while this has evolved in the last 40 years, Japanese can be very xenophobic. And the rate of crime solving is comparable to election percentage wins in countries who need to add ‘democratic’ to their names, and for the same reasons.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I noticed within days of a certain fast food chain re opening its drive through that my local county lanes were covered in litter again. People must just throw it out the window as they drive

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Not sure about Japan but Germany seemed pretty litter free in the places I've been to. Even the larger cities like Cologne, albeit not as picturesque as some, were fairly clean of it. In fact most of the European countries I've visited seem mostly clear of litter. Perhaps it's an English thing, who knows.

On a local level, we have a nice common in the village for all to use, and many footpaths. On one path leading to the common there is a bench next to a stream which is a nice place for people to sit. Unfortunately it seems to have been commandeered by a few of the local adolescents to sit and chuck cans and litter in the stream. There is a bin 10 yards away! It's just how people are raised I guess.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Germany seems to me to be the cleanest country in Europe. U.K. on the other hand is in parts a shit hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upbringing and intelligence have a lot to do with it, as well as the lack of authority.

Mrs K had nieces at a Japanese school and one thing they told us was that they have to clean the school themselves. No idea if this is widespread but wouldn't surprise me.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I try to think back to my younger years and im sure litter was nothing like today. I suppose there were a lot less people then but that is no excuse. We love going up the peak district or alike for the scenery and to get away from the herds. Hopefully they open the pubs soon and they all **** off.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    I try to think back to my younger years and im sure litter was nothing like today. I suppose there were a lot less people then but that is no excuse. We love going up the peak district or alike for the scenery and to get away from the herds. Hopefully they open the pubs soon and they all **** off.
    Also as a nipper we couldn't afford Macdonald's and the like even if they had existed then, so no fast food cartons to throw away. And drinks generally came in glass bottles with a deposit on return, so definitely didn't chuck them away! We did like it when somebody had thrown some mucky magazines away in the woods though

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    I noticed within days of a certain fast food chain re opening its drive through that my local county lanes were covered in litter again. People must just throw it out the window as they drive

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    I'm in Cford as well, we had 3 of the first 16 drive-throughs open in the initial wave and the effect was immediate with regards to litter.

Lazy, selfish and damn right disgusting behaviour, in my opinion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Also as a nipper we couldn't afford Macdonald's and the like even if they had existed then, so no fast food cartons to throw away. And drinks generally came in glass bottles with a deposit on return, so definitely didn't chuck them away! We did like it when somebody had thrown some mucky magazines away in the woods though

+1 here, hopefully the scum will go back to normal and decide the fresh air and countryside is not for them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post

Why did them mags end up in bushes!!!! Was always a top find though.

Master
    Same here. People driving from neighbouring areas to swim and raft in the river, including jumping off the bridge. Parents defending them on Facebook suddenly go very quiet when the next day someone posts pictures of the extensive litter left behind and a farmer complains of having lost a calf from choking on litter. It is a lack of education and parenting that leads to selfish behaviour and a general lack of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Why did them mags end up in bushes!!!! Was always a top find though.
    Always in bushes or woods! We didn't really understand them, just knew we shouldn't see naked ladies, but yes, always a top find. And for some strange reason you'd have some sort of kudos for alerting others to the whereabouts of them afterwards.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    +1 here, hopefully the scum will go back to normal and decide the fresh air and countryside is not for them.
    A bit of a shower round here on the West Pennine Moors keeps the scum away but last week it looked like a plague of 2 legged McDonald's eating druggie/locusts had descended.

Those nitrous oxide canisters, balloons and all manner of sh1te scattered on the side of the reservoirs and round Rivington Pike.

I went out this week a few times and noticed the difference from the weekend.

Hill walking in flip flops won't ever catch on unless you're 18 and empty of head.

Master
    I live alongside a section of the Union Canal here in Edinburgh. I walk along it every day, either with my dog or without him. I figure that I can either complain about the litter and and it’ll still be there, or go out with refuse sacks and clear whatever I can. I’m especially vigilant for bottles as I don’t want my dog or anyone else’s to be walking through broken glass.

Here in Edinburgh our Environmental Wardens haven’t issued a single Fixed Penalty Notice for dog fouling or littering for several years now. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I have the statistics to prove it. Since lockdown they’ve been working from home. I’m struggling to see how they can carry out their duties from home, though they weren’t carrying out their duties before Covid-19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Here in Edinburgh our Environmental Wardens haven’t issued a single Fixed Penalty Notice for dog fouling or littering for several years now. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I have the statistics to prove it. Since lockdown they’ve been working from home. I’m struggling to see how they can carry out their duties from home, though they weren’t carrying out their duties before Covid-19.
    Sorry I actually laughed out loud at that, but I’m really not surprised, maybe the wardens need to spend a day or two with a ‘blue meanie’ ? some council decisions border on the farcical, and beyond.

Craftsman
    I can't stand littering, it was drummed into us a kids: take your litter home.

My golf course has been opened for the past two+ weeks and last week they reintroduced waste bins because of the number of cans and bottles deposited around the course. What is the mentality of someone to take full cans/bottles onto the course, 99 times out of 100 in a buggy and then deposit the empties in a heap by the post from where the bin had been removed for their safety? The green staff then have to come around and clean up after them.

These are the actions of people supposedly of a like mind and shared interest...beggars belief.

Master
    Portable barbecues should be banned. They carry on smouldering, long after they have been used. They are often "buried" on beaches near us and if you step on them with bare feet, they can strip the skin off feet. Don't just bury it, put it out, cool it with plenty of water, then dispose of it safely. As for the litterers, I just don't understand them. Take it home and bin it.

It’s dog poo in our village, can’t understand selfish dog owners. Our lane had 5 plastic bags hanging in the bushes today. The footpaths are often covered too, not good when you’re taking kids out for a walk. Idiots.

You have to wonder what kind of justification people have for getting a maccie or kfc, scoffing it, then launching the remnants out the window of their car as they drive through the countryside?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    You have to wonder what kind of justification people have for getting a maccie or kfc, scoffing it, then launching the remnants out the window of their car as they drive through the countryside?
    I've devoted far too much time trying to work that one out and I still haven't managed to come up with an answer.
    Last edited by number2; 7th June 2020 at 00:00.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    I've noticed this for years, our local beach only has 2 small bins in the car park which overflow regularly and people just leave stuff next to the bin...
    Should they take it home? Yes of course we do.. but should there be adequate bins provided? Definitely...
    If its difficult most people won't bother!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I really struggle to understand why if a bin is full people will leave their rubbish next to it rather than find another bin or take it home. It's littering. You choose to take your rubbish somewhere (in the form of a sandwich wrapper, drinks can or whatever), why is it someone else's job to take it away or - even worse - clear it up for you?
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I really struggle to understand why if a bin is full people will leave their rubbish next to it rather than find another bin or take it home. It's littering. You choose to take your rubbish somewhere (in the form of a sandwich wrapper, drinks can or whatever), why is it someone else's job to take it away or - even worse - clear it up for you?

They are just scum. Like that knuckle scrapers who fly tip at our local Tesco carpark rather than take stuff to the tip or charity shop (and that's before lockdown - it's worse now they have an "excuse").
    Last edited by David_D; 15th June 2020 at 00:39.