closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: B&W older gen centre speaker

B&W older gen centre speaker

Hi all,

I know there are many hifi enthusiasts amongst us, so just wanted to ask your thoughts on purchasing an older B&W centre speaker.

I’m soon to move house and will have to leave behind my current centre as it’s embedded in the wall.

I have a dated set up but I can’t really spend loads upgrading the whole thing now.

I have B&O Beolab 8000’s as my fronts, and 2 Canton CD100’s as my rears.

(I won’t have space for a sub)

Looking through eBay, I spotted a B&W CDM CNT and CDM CSE at great prices (£150-£185)

They are massive but seem like great value to use as a centre for a while.

Anyone have any experience on what these older ones were like?

As an alternative, there are some cheap B&W VM1’s going at £70......but they are not in the same league.

Any advice welcome!

Master
    Go for it.

I’d usually recommend that you use speakers that have similar “voices” for surround setups which invariably means the same manufacturer apart from the sub where its of little importance.

Centre speakers I am not wild about and prefer good stereo mains with a phantom centre . Even in professional screening rooms . However for larger rooms there is merit to a centre to focus the imaging.

For that money go for it and see what you reckon. Unless the speaker is blown you won’t have any problems. See what you prefer.

Hi,

I owned a B&W CDMCNT Centre in my previous 5.1 set up and thought thqat it was very good. I would say go for it and when you are able to later on, upgrade the other speakers to match. Hopefully your AV Receiver will be able to allow you to adjust the sound levels so that it doesn't over power the other speakers that you currently have.

My only other thought is, be prepared for it being a very large speaker!!

John

Had some DM2's and DM4's in the 70's
    Lovely sound, beautifully made.

Craftsman
    Have you considered the beolab 7.4 centre? I've got this in my setup along with beolab 8000 fronts and it separates the vocals really well when you've got lots of background noise going-on.

Master
    Go for it - at that price it's a bargain. I had a CDM CNT when I was into that sort of thing along wiht a pair of CDM 7NT's and some mission dipole rears and the sound was brilliant.

That should be fine for a centre.