closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is this 2003 gmt in Taiwan a good buy?

Craftsman

Is this 2003 gmt in Taiwan a good buy?

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/gmt...GB&SETCURR=GBP

My brother lives in Taiwan and has taken a shine to Rolex. When we met up in Japan last year he purchased a 2003 sub. Now he’s got the itch for another.

We’ve found this example and it looks a little scratched, but obviously never had a polish which some people like and I’ve explained why. He also likes the idea of changing bezels to Pepsi and cokes. Which I know is a relatively cheap and easy option

Would just like some input from some of the tz’ers on the value of it and if it’s worth pulling the trigger

Looks OK, but!

The watch has lug holes, which disappeared around 1999, however the Dial is “Swiss Made“. This replaced the “Swiss“ only dials and were were introduced around 2000. So this watch might be correct if it’s one of the last of the lug holes, or it might have a replacement dial.

Serial number is required, however if the watch predates 1999, I would bet the dial has been replaced at some point. Not a deal breaker, but not a watch I would buy.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Looks OK, but!

The watch has lug holes, which disappeared around 1999, however the Dial is “Swiss Made“. This replaced the “Swiss“ only dials and were were introduced around 2000. So this watch might be correct if it’s one of the last of the lug holes, or it might have a replacement dial.

Serial number is required, however if the watch predates 1999, I would bet the dial has been replaced at some point. Not a deal breaker, but not a watch I would buy.
    Hadn’t noticed it shouldn’t have lug holes interesting. If you see 1 pic it shows a Y serial on the tag sticker, that’s 2001/2002. So that was the start of Swiss Made dial. I have an A serial sub with Swiss only dial.

So are we saying it shouldn’t have lug holes?

The serial number is visible. It is a Y serial, so 2001 / 2002. The lug holes started to be phased out mid Y serial so the presence of lug holes is perfectly correct, as is the ‘Swiss Made’ dial.

I don’t have any concerns. What you see is what you get in terms of condition, and the watch has obviously been worn but it is in fair condition and does not look to have been polished.

Looking at the green ‘Swimpruf’ tag, it is model ref 16710LN (lunette noir), so retains the correct black bezel insert. This looks like it could be the original insert too, with correct serifs to the numerals.

This combination is perfectly normal for the period.
    The 98-03 transition had a few aspects

Trit to Luminova
    Lugholes to none
    Folded endlinks to solid endlinks (2 types)

This is the Luminova with the latter type of solid endlink and lugholes. (The first solid endlinks were specifically for lughole cases, as they had no access for springbars to the rear, you had to press inward through the lugholes).

Exactly the specification I was looking for.

Looks fine, but I have no idea on price, I haven't kept up since I gave up looking for one (I still believe they are massively overvalued)

Dave

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    The serial number is visible. It is a Y serial, so 2001 / 2002. The lug holes started to be phased out mid Y serial so the presence of lug holes is perfectly correct, as is the ‘Swiss Made’ dial.

I don’t have any concerns. What you see is what you get in terms of condition, and the watch has obviously been worn but it is in fair condition and does not look to have been polished.

Looking at the green ‘Swimpruf’ tag, it is model ref 16710LN (lunette noir), so retains the correct black bezel insert. This looks like it could be the original insert too, with correct serifs to the numerals.
    This sounds more like it, good news on the bezel. My brothers thinks he’ll be able to bag it for £8k. Not a wealthy area and times are hard in Taiwan too.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    This combination is perfectly normal for the period.
    The 98-03 transition had a few aspects

Trit to Luminova
    Lugholes to none
    Folded endlinks to solid endlinks (2 types)

This is the Luminova with the latter type of solid endlink and lugholes. (The first solid endlinks were specifically for lughole cases, as they had no access for springbars to the rear, you had to press inward through the lugholes).

Exactly the specification I was looking for.

Looks fine, but I have no idea on price, I haven't kept up since I gave up looking for one (I still believe they are massively overvalued)

Dave
    Yeah be nice at £6k Dave but they’re just not out there. Some of the uk prices are bonkers.