closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Glycine Combat Sub

Glycine Combat Sub

Any owners out there with thoughts & opinions to offer? Reckon I might pick one up as a ‘weekend warrior’ if you like, but never owned the brand before. Looks to me like it’s cheaper (under £300) if you buy internationally as opposed to via UK outlets where they are closer to the £500 mark. This is the one I’m looking at, although there are a lot of styles to choose from. Are they a worthwhile purchase?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I've got one, and I unfortunately bought mine many years ago before the prices dropped to the crazy levels they're at now.

I think if they're still built to the same standard, it's an incredible value proposition now.

Things to note - they wear very flat or thin for a diver. If you have a very wide wrist, the curved lugs can be a bit pointy. The lume on mine was only ok. Because the bezel is thin and reasonably stiff, I wouldn't want to need to operate it in gloves or in the water.

At £300 I think it's an absolute no brainer really.

Master
    Really happy with mine, well made, sturdly, mine's a bit of a beast and bronze so quite weighty.

I think they are fabulous value for money and I would have one but that COMBAT on the dial really puts me off.

If it doesn't bother you (and why would it?) get stuck in!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Not bad for an ETA-modified beater. Note that Invicta owns the brand now, not sure if it's a good thing or bad.

Master
    I like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Looks to me like it’s cheaper (under £300) if you buy internationally as opposed to via UK outlets where they are closer to the £500 mark.
    Have you seen these online for that price and does it include taxes? I've seen some for sale at prices like $300 + $350 tax, which is less of a good deal. I am thinking about giving one a try because they are very thin compared to most divers. I haven't owned one, but did try one on in a shop a few years ago and thought it comparable to a £300 Seiko. I.e., better than a Monster but not as good as a Sumo. I keep hearing that the fit & finish is far above their RRP, but I didn't see it myself. At the time it was priced around £700 so I didn't buy it, but I have fancied trying one for long time. I prefer the Airman dial (as in your photo) and haven't seen one of those come up on SC yet, otherwise I'd go that route. For £300 new, if it's legit, I'll definitely buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Have you seen these online for that price and does it include taxes? I've seen some for sale at prices like $300 + $350 tax, which is less of a good deal. I am thinking about giving one a try because they are very thin compared to most divers. I haven't owned one, but did try one on in a shop a few years ago and thought it comparable to a £300 Seiko. I.e., better than a Monster but not as good as a Sumo. I keep hearing that the fit & finish is far above their RRP, but I didn't see it myself. At the time it was priced around £700 so I didn't buy it, but I have fancied trying one for long time. I prefer the Airman dial (as in your photo) and haven't seen one of those come up on SC yet, otherwise I'd go that route. For £300 new, if it's legit, I'll definitely buy one.
    Hmmmm. I’ve had a more detailed gander at the retailers listing and the price doesn’t factor in an approx £75 import cost. Having said that, the basic cost is about £260, plus £15 delivery and £75 import, so a total of £350 still isn’t bad and is still a good £100 cheaper than U.K. outlets.

The only watches of comparable spec at that price I know of are Steinhart’s, and I’m personally veering away from the homage market a bit (although I had the Steinhart Mil-Sub and it was a cracker and would prob be a rival choice to a Glycine CS if I decided buying internationally was too much aggro).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I like mine.
    Very tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by lexminute View Post
    Note that Invicta owns the brand now ...
    This is always used as a stick to beat the brand, yet all that's changed is the amount of investment and marketing invested in Glycine (more of both).

I have two Airmen and a 48mm "Stealth" Combat Sub - they've all been flawless, very nicely put together, good detailing, great straps - and £$£peanuts to buy, purely down to perceived image. IMO, Along with Hamilton, they're about the most Swiss automatic wristwatch money can currently buy new.

I have an Airman which I love and a really old version of a combat (no rotating bezel), Both are really good quality from what I can tell, can’t imagine you can go wrong at that price.
    Dan

Master
    I've never paid much attention to them before but they look superb. However, one online retailer claims the case size is 48mm without crown. Surely that's not correct us it?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I think they are fabulous value for money and I would have one but that COMBAT on the dial really puts me off.

If it doesn't bother you (and why would it?) get stuck in!
    I agree. Lovely watch but the 'Combat' is too walty for me.

Glycine watches are regularly offered on Drop at very tempting prices...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    I've never paid much attention to them before but they look superb. However, one online retailer claims the case size is 48mm without crown. Surely that's not correct us it?
    I don't think so, but I did discover today that there's a larger version: the imaginatively-named "combat sub 46", which is 46mm excluding the crown. The standard one is 42mm. Maybe the 46 is 48mm including the crown and they got the numbers mixed up.

I bought a second on the strength of my first one, really nice watch and nice and compact. £300 sounds entirely acceptable.

There is a larger size but the standard models are 42mm, with 50mm lug to lug and very slim by all accounts - just under 11mm - just double check the case size on any listing before you pull the trigger.

Glycine Combat Sub

Great watches, nice and slim and despite the 50mm lug to lug it wears really well on my 6.75” wrist. I bought mine new from the US via e-bay and paid £376.00 all up including taxes, here’s mine..

Great value and you won’t be disappointed with the quality.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    I don't think so, but I did discover today that there's a larger version: the imaginatively-named "combat sub 46", which is 46mm excluding the crown. The standard one is 42mm. Maybe the 46 is 48mm including the crown and they got the numbers mixed up.
    Yes could well be.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    There is a larger size but the standard models are 42mm, with 50mm lug to lug and very slim by all accounts - just under 11mm - just double check the case size on any listing before you pull the trigger.
    Certainly will, cheers.

They change lineups constantly, over the years there seem to have been 40, 41, 42, 44, 46 and 48mm versions in every sort of finish you can think of. Current range is 42, 46 and 48mm

Grand Master
    I owned a white dial gold version, sold it when I bought my Glycine Incursore hand wind. I thought it was a great watch, nice build quality, the only fault was the lume was quite weak. I’d have kept it but I’m trying to keep a one in one out policy and I really wanted a large hand wind Incursor.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

No issues here

Love the style, just hate the sub 24hr numerals.

Glycine Combat Sub

I’ve had a couple; a 42mm automatic that I bought from Page & Cooper when they were a good company to deal with. I met Jonathan in a cafe near his office (a bit strange) and he brought along a selection. I’d gone with the intention of buying the stealth model but ended up with one with a black dial and brown bezel. I moved it on after a while because 42mm felt a little too big for me.

Later, I bought the 40mm quartz version off SC. It was a new release at Baselworld that year and three weeks later I was the third owner. I sold that one on SC a year or so later.

I can honestly say that I had no issues with either and they were very good value for money (even at around £550 for the auto, the quartz was £210).

They are very thin and wear flat which I really liked.

Compared to a 42mm Steinhart though, they are chalk and cheese in terms of how they wear.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 1st June 2020 at 08:18.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    This is always used as a stick to beat the brand, yet all that's changed is the amount of investment and marketing invested in Glycine (more of both).

I have two Airmen and a 48mm "Stealth" Combat Sub - they've all been flawless, very nicely put together, good detailing, great straps - and £$£peanuts to buy, purely down to perceived image. IMO, Along with Hamilton, they're about the most Swiss automatic wristwatch money can currently buy new.

Don't get me wrong, but I do appreciate the lower prices for what it offers. Maybe being owned by a larger corporation helped with the economies of scale thus pulling down costs. A win for consumers.

Blog Entries
    I have a Combat Sub and I'd say at £350 it would be a bargain. Buy it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Love the style, just hate the sub 24hr numerals.
    They do loads of different dial and hand sets. There are several without the 24hr numerals.

Quote Originally Posted by lexminute View Post
    Don't get me wrong, but I do appreciate the lower prices for what it offers. Maybe being owned by a larger corporation helped with the economies of scale thus pulling down costs. A win for consumers.
    Fair points well made. Certainly good to have a quality alternative to Seiko at the price point