closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else not like sitting in direct sunlight?

Red face Does anyone else not like sitting in direct sunlight?

...or is it just me?! I love blue skies, sunshine and warmth (up to 25/26 degrees max, ideally), but I hate sitting in sun. Is that weird? :)

All input appreciated! My wife always moans at me.

I don't mind being out in the sunshine, but find sitting in the sun for the sake of sitting in the sun boring.

On holiday I get told to put on factor 50 as it means one can spend 50 times as long sunbathing without getting burnt.

I then suggest leaving it off, sunbathing for a fiftieth of the time then doing something more interesting in the forty nine times the duration of the sunbathing that one has magically got back.

No, I'm the same as you. I like warm weather but get terrible headaches if I sit in direct sun for too long; also find it incredibly boring!

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I don’t burn easily but can’t sunbathe or just sit Or lay there Just doing nothing.

I’m much the same, hate putting sun tan lotion on and cacking myself up with it and then tasting it as I sweat, basting like a turkey in my own juices.

Hate sitting in the sun. Shade and breeze for the win.

But I am on the edge of the ginger spectrum so burn easily

No, defiantly not a fan of sitting in the sun and avoid it if poss. Like you, love the sunny warm weather and don't mind walking around provided it's not too hot. Much prefer the shade preferably with a nice G & T (Jensen's or Hayman's with Fever Tree).

Nope, I absolutely love it. Spent six hours in it reading a book yesterday. But I'm an African person, so on the rare occasions the UK is actually anything approaching warm, I'm in it like a tomato plant, growing. :-)

Oh almost forgot... all my watches look far better in the blistering sun so my left arm will get a tan even if the rest of me doesn't

I don't mind as long as it's not burning hot, 21 or 22 is ok for me, but must have shades and hat on. I'm not a sunbather.

The general attitude towards the sun has changed quite a bit in my lifetime. In the 70's there seemed to be an obsession with going on holiday and 'getting a tan'. Tanning Lotion as it was called was there just to keep your skin moist while it burned. I think people want more out of a holiday these days and time off seems to be more activity, travel and experience based. I like it when it's sunny and the air is warm and I'll head for the shade when it's time to sit. I seemed to get intolerant to sitting and lying in it when I got past about 40. I did one of those DNA tests last year and it revealed my roots are firmly pushed down into north west Europe, perhaps that's why I don't mind the cold and the rain either, it has never bothered me. It's important to get just enough rays to hit you to top up with vitamin D but burn and peel isn't a good idea at all, we all know why now.

Craftsman
    No I can’t sit around in it either.Also absolutely hate eating in the sun.Shade only then.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    The general attitude towards the sun has changed quite a bit in my lifetime. In the 70's there seemed to be an obsession with going on holiday and 'getting a tan'. Tanning Lotion as it was called was there just to keep your skin moist while it burned. I think people want more out of a holiday these days and time off seems to be more activity, travel and experience based. I like it when it's sunny and the air is warm and I'll head for the shade when it's time to sit. I seemed to get intolerant to sitting and lying in it when I got past about 40. I did one of those DNA tests last year and it revealed my roots are firmly pushed down into north west Europe, perhaps that's why I don't mind the cold and the rain either, it has never bothered me. It's important to get just enough rays to hit you to top up with vitamin D but burn and peel isn't a good idea at all, we all know why now.
    There's a great episode of "The Curious Cases of Rutherford and Fry" podcast all about those DNA tests. If you paid money for yours you may wish to avoid it, suffice to say absolutely everyone in western Europe is descended from the Vikings, DNA-wise.

Interesting, I'll follow that up. The test was a gift so nothing more than a little bit of interest. I think the most important thing about anyone's make up is to be healthy. It doesn't really matter where it came from eh.

Love it.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    I’m much the same, hate putting sun tan lotion on and cacking myself up with it and then tasting it as I sweat, basting like a turkey in my own juices.
    Sums it up for me too

Interesting, I'll follow that up. The test was a gift so nothing more than a little bit of interest. I think the most important thing about anyone's make up is to be healthy. It doesn't really matter where it came from eh.
    Very true. If I remember rightly the issue is the very limited DNA base these companies use, where they get that from and the fact that Europe is old enough that almost everyone can appear to come from wherever makes them happy. It's worth hunting out the episode, which is free of course, being the BBC.

PS: Presently replying to this thread sat in the blazing sun wearing nothing but a pair of shorts. :-)

I really really dislike sitting in the sun.
    I tend to wear sunglasses year round as well.
    The Mrs thinks I am odd because of it. That said she was born in Southern Africa and is of Southern European decent so worships the sun.
    Sitting on a beach like a form of perverse torture to me. I hate it.

I'm with Mrs Sinnlover (so to speak). It's like anything, your body adjusts to what's required; so if you're African you're generally better suited to the sun and heat than all you lot who are basically from Winterfell. ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    ...or is it just me?! I love blue skies, sunshine and warmth (up to 25/26 degrees max, ideally), but I hate sitting in sun. Is that weird? :)

All input appreciated! My wife always moans at me.

I’m exactly the same. Comfort aside, pretty sure prolonged sun exposure is accepted as not good for the skin.

There’ll be some very red and sore people around at the moment.

love the direct sun, cream on, hat, sun glasses off we go. But who doesn't love a bit of relief the shade brings. The issue for me is late evenings, as the sun goes the temp drops quickly but the evenings of late have been so nice i don't want to go inside, so i find myself moving around to stay in the sun as long as poss.

Not a fan either, it seems such a pointless pastime. I also suffer from an allergic reaction if I go from a cold to warm environment too quickly, had this in Tenerife one November. As soon as I turned my back to the sun it felt like it was on fire, no rash or itch just the most intense burning sensation.

Now we know the cancer risks I just don’t understand why you would spend 2 weeks sweating in the sun to prematurely age yourself and increase your cancer risk?

Nope. I not a great fan of the high heat full stop. Mid 20s is normally the max for me.

I like t shirt and shorts weather but don’t like full on sun and will generally hunt our shade. Strangely I’m quite happy running in full on sun. In fact I did a 40 mile ultra on the hottest day on record and not sure how I managed it!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I like the sun, and I like sunbathing. Which is fortunate as I have a place near Bodrum in Turkey. indeed I should be there now, but instead having to tolerate the cold weather we are having day after day here in London.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post

Now we know the cancer risks I just don’t understand why you would spend 2 weeks sweating in the sun to prematurely age yourself and increase your cancer risk?
    I was raised in East Africa and I absolutely loved the sun and heat. We were always tanned although the Africans thought were were stark raving mad - it seems they had a point! I recall Factor 4 sunscreen was all you get at the time and not many people used it anyway! I have lived in the UK now for many years and I still love the heat and miss the good climate.

But as I've got older my mindset has completely changed. We are all so much more aware of the risks of sun exposure and if I had my time again I would avoid it (the sun) and seek out the shade. I know far too many people who have had skin cancer and I have had several 'dodgy' moles, etc cut away. Just not worth it. I now spend a lot of time outside but sit in the shade or dress accordingly.

Master
    As soon as the sun comes out I head for the shade.

Cannot stand getting too hot, it makes me irritable.

4 person table with probably an 8 or 10 person parasol and it's a dream. Love the sun but prefer looking out into it rather than being directly in it. Should probably upgrade the table to a 6 seat at some point though as it looks a bit silly.

Master
    I think it’s an English thing. My in laws are italian and whilst they love the sun they’ll only sit in shade.

Master
    I hated it as a youngster, but as I have become much older I don't really mind the sun. I do not worship the sun like most people, ie my youngest daughter, she is as brown as a berry. God only knows where her skin colouring come's from, certainly not from her parents.

Master
    I don’t hate it but I can’t tolerate it for long. Once the temperature gets over 22 degrees or so I can feel myself cooking from just under my skin and I get shivers if I stay exposed too long. Add hay fever and this time of year can be a challenge for me which others struggle to understand.

Craftsman
    Love being in the sun and outdoor cooking. Started wearing shorts and Tshirt from March. Good to get vitamin D and keep healthy. My parents were always proponents for us to get outdoors and into the sunlight.

I'm not a huge fan either. I definitely do not go in for sun bathing, and about half an hour lying on a beach is enough for me before I get bored.

I tan pretty easily and don't tend to burn (some italian ancestry in there somewhere), but am also conscious of skin cancer risks as a relative had it.

What I really, really don't like is eating in direct sunlight ar BBQ's or in pub gardens. We have been eating outside these past couple of weeks but we have a large pergola canopy over the outdoor eating area so it is always in shade - that's nice, but full sunlight, a big no from me.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    I like to sit in morning sun.(with coffee) Gets too uncomfortable after mid day.

Being a balding red-head with pale skin and being born in Harrogate to parents from Manchester, I'm not really genetically pre-disposed to being a sun worshipper! I don't like sitting in direct strong sunlight and sunbathing bores me to tears immediately. I'd far rather be in the shade. I will put on sun screen when necessary but always look forward to the shower to get rid of it.

Master
    Nah, I hate it (me a few mins ago😁).

Journeyman
    Hate sitting in the sun, but OK sitting in the shade. Wife bought an electric awning for the back garden just after Christmas - I poo pooed the idea, but given working from home and low probability of a summer/autumn holiday overseas, it has turned into the best investment she ever made. Don't tell her I said that though!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    As soon as the sun comes out I head for the shade.

Cannot stand getting too hot, it makes me irritable.
    Same here,but in my case ,more so.

Don't mind if I am doing something (spent the morning in the garden) but I can't just sit in it.

Indoors now but I may pop out to read a book as the heat decreases.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    We as a household love sitting/lounging in the garden soaking up the sun..............Corona has had it's uses.
    Anyway, back to the sun lounger.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name
    I really detest sitting in the sun. Can’t read a bloody thing, listen to music for a little while and then get bored. I have to do something......
    To add to the mix, I’m know as the vampire of the family, I’m a lovely’s shade of milky white, I go deep red and then crispy and crunchy when in it too long. I tend to go a deep red when I get too hot too which doesn’t help.
    When working in the sun for a short time, I apply factor 50 sun cream of which I hate applying as this leaves me feeling all sticky, although this offers a limited amount of protection and have to keep applying it every hour at least.

I’ve had to have a something removed as a result of sun damage and now have to be extra careful in the future which doesn’t help.

All said and done, I like the heat 23 > 25 and that’s it.

Bar humbug..........

B

Master
    When we are on holiday I’m out in the sun from 8am post breakfast. By 12 I’m in the shade & usually at the swim up bar in the shade with a book & cigar.

Was remembered by bar staff 5yrs apart for the same MO. My wife loves the sun, when ok holiday we see each other in the mornings & evenings only.

Master
    I don’t enjoy the heat. Give me any season but summer. I don’t see the attraction of hay fever and sweaty plums. Plus my dog suffers in these conditions.

Master
    I hate sitting. What's the point?

But do you trust them not to sell your DNA data?

Love it as long as I’ve got some sunglasses and if hot enough, some SPF on.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I only like to go out in direct sunlight for about 1 minute. I then sit in a darkened room for 2 hours a look at my watch face glow.

Blue glow makes me very happy. Weak/patchy green glow not so much.

I generally enjoy being out in the sun, including sitting in the sun - - unless it's too hot/humid out.

If you're in a football stadium on the shady side, and the temp drops and wind picks up, you'd pay plenty to be sitting over on the sunny side!

Grew up in the Caribbean when very young, lived in South Africa and generally travelled to hot places throughout my earlier life.

Love the sun, just respect the duration I soak up the rays. Mind you I do tan easy, but guess my earlier life helped, and I’m generally outside often all year round.

Feel it charges my body, so love it.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    But do you trust them not to sell your DNA data?
    30 years ago I was 30 and it seems like yesterday. In 30 years I’ll be I’ll be soot. I wouldn’t really mind if they published it on the front page of the Times. 😁