closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Datejust 16220 thoughts

Journeyman

Rolex Datejust 16220 thoughts

Hi all,

First of massive thanks for looking at this I am a huge newbie

Wondering what are the thoughts on the item below in terms of both price (seller lives locally and has offered some discount) as well as condition

The Datejust is from 2000, it does not come with the original papers (aside from the Rolex box) but includes certification from a jewellers where it was purchased second hand. Sellers appears very decent and I can fully inspect the watch locally

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-role...0AAOSwMX9ezlqC

Thanks again,
    Akash

For that price I'd probably opt for one of the current white dial Oyster Perpetual models in either 34mm or 39mm depending on wrist size.

If you're set on a vintage DateJust I would put up a post on the WTB (want to buy) section and see what comes gets offered.

Journeyman
    Thanks for this hugely helpful

Out of interest if this or something similar were closer to the £2.7k mark would it be more worthwhile or still better to increase the budget and focus on a newer model

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Depends. The cheaper it is the more worthwhile it will be of course but at the same time the cheaper it is the more concerned I'd be (too good to be true, hidden issues etc).

I guess it depends what you're into re vintage Vs modern. Vintage is definitely very cool but can be delicate esp re water resistance. Modern can be worn carefree especially in the shower or in the sea on holiday etc and the bracelets are leagues ahead.

Ideally you'd pop down to watchfinder or Burlington arcade and try some on but that's out the window right now.

Journeyman
    Thank you for sharing you perspectives it’s incredibly helpful!

I think outside of the vintage vs modern debate, the main challenge would be budget with a max of £3k available (at least with out my wife leaving me)

I am unfortunately not a huge fan of the modern Oyster Perpetual whilst the modern Datejust with fluted bezel would be out of budget. For this reason vintage seemed the best option, with a version that would ideally hold value so in the longer term I could trade up. Not sure if that logic makes sense though!

It may not bother you and it doesn’t bother a lot of people but those hollow end links are so rattly that you may want to think about getting a newer datejust that has solid end links. I’m only saying this as I found that to be the case when I bought my first Rolex, I returned it and got a newer version of the watch that had solid end links. Hope this can be helpful for you

Journeyman
    Very helpful advice and something I’ll definitely try to look into myself once we can visit watch stores in person! Could definitely be a reason to go for a more recent model

Grand Master
    I own a 1986 bimetal Datejust in near- mint condition, hardly ever been worn. I used to own a 2003 steel Datejust 16234 with fluted bezel and Jubilee bracelet, a lovely watch that failed to sell on here last November at £2850, I’ll never understand why no- one bought it or at least tried to twist my arm. That went to a dealer in the end. A lovely watch in excellent condition, yet no- one on here wanted it.

I’ve owned a 116200 Datejust with polished centre links, smooth bezel and polished lugs. I let that go several years ago before prices surged upwards, I regret selling because of the money but I don’t miss the watch. I’ve ended up with a 116000 OP 36 which I prefer, the polished bezel and brushed lugs, together with the fully brushed bracelet, is a far nicer look in my opinion and the dial is nicer without the date. For around £3.5k its possible to pick a recent example up, mine’s still under the 5 year warranty. To me, this is a far better way to spend £3-£3.5k than buying a 20+ year old Datejust. The OP36 captures the appeal of the older models at reasonable money, definitely worthy of consideration IMO.

Journeyman
    Thanks for sharing your experience, definitely very interesting and valid points

I can certainly see the value in going for a 36mm OP at a comparable price point, I think the only challenge I have is I love the fluted bezel on the Datejust and do appreciate having the date visible. Difficult to say whether that is worth purchasing an older watch.

I’ll certainly have a think about this an an alternative!

Thanks again

Journeyman
    Hi all,

Small progression, I may be able to purchase the watch above for £2700 as the buyer lives locally. Would there be any thoughts on whether this would be a good buy at this price point? It’s the exact combination (fluted bezel, white Roman dial) I am after, but just concerned regarding lack of papers and service history.

Thanks in advance!

Grand Master
    Its a real shame you weren’t on here last November when my 16234 was for sale. White Roman dial with white gold fluted bezel and Jubilee, no box or papers, hadn’t been serviced for approx 10 years but running very well and worn very sparingly during my ownership. It ended up with a dealer for £2600, why it didn't sell on here is still a puzzle to me. I’d refinished it a couple of years ago and it looked immaculate.

The reason I took less than I wanted was simple; I was about to embark on a house deal that had potential to soak up all my spare money so it made sense to move the watch on. Ironically, the house deal has all but fallen through (still hanging by a thread) and I ended up putting the money into another watch, youhave to buy them when they’re available.

Good luck with your search, with a bit if luck someone on here will offer you something worth buying. Factor in around £600 for servicing if service history is vague, and don’t be too worried if box and papers are absent on an older watch. Mine had no b&p but it was an absolute cracker.

Journeyman
    Wow that really is a shame as would have been ideal, sound like a beautiful piece!

Sorry to hear about the house, though hope it manages to work out! Such a fickle thing the property market

Thanks for the advice on servicing I’ll factor this in and go from there. I should be patient....just struggling as the seller is around the corner!

Apprentice
    Hi Akash, did you finally buy this piece or it was someone else? It seems the listing has ended now... 2700 is a fairly good price.

Journeyman
    Hi there looks as though it went to someone else unfortunately. Thanks for the input though much appreciated!

Nice enough watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk