closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Inherited Omega

Master

Inherited Omega

My father passed away rather unexpectedly last month so things have been pretty rough. He had a very strong personality and while the void he left in our lives can never be filled, there is something horological that I can keep very close to me.

He received an Omega Geneve in 1973 as a wedding present from my mum’s family. He was a very simple man and would have never bought it himself, even back then when Omega probably wasn’t even considered a “prestige” brand.

Seeing my interest in watches, my brother and mother have decided that me keeping it makes the most sense.

I didn’t know this watch existed until my dad found it buried in a drawer and started wearing it again < 2 years ago. However, rumour has it that as a child, once I climbed on to a ledge or a balcony somewhere and threw it down a guttering pipe. He had a few people looking for it until eventually I found the courage to admit what I had done. It was found inside the bottom part of the said pipe. Of course I don’t remember any of this but it does sound like something I could have done back then!

It’s quite battered, evident from the pictures that I’m going to post shortly. I understand it has been serviced at least once in its 46+ years life but by the looks of it, it would have been movement only. The strap obviously isn’t original and I don’t think the caseback is either. I’m certainly not going to trust the “WATERPROOF” engraving on it lol. Knowing him, I am sure he would have spent the least amount possible on it - he wasn’t into any kind of excesses and luxuries at all.

I know nothing about the vintage scene and prefer modern watches because buying new, I can be sure of their authenticity and also because I think they’re relatively more advanced and robust. Although not necessary, the watch could do with a service. For example the date changes at around 6am rather than at or shortly after midnight. Cosmetically, I am in two minds: have it restored and back to as close as possible to original like when he got it or continue wearing it like he did during the last couple of years of his life. Haven’t decided yet.

Master

Sorry to hear about your loss
    That’s a nice keepsake.
    Obviously no object can replace a loved one but they are nice to remember them by.

It looks as if some of the lume dots have come off the dial, it might be an idea to have them removed before they work their way in to the movement and cause damage if you plan on wearing it. I would not restore it completely just a polish of the crystal
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 30th May 2020 at 21:15.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Regarding the watch, I would get in touch with Simon Freese and discuss what you'd like done. He will do a superb job in the way you want. There are others on these very forums who would also do a superb job but rather than put them on the spot, they can get in touch as their workloads etc. allow.

Master
    Sincere condolences on your loss. You've inherited a cracker of a watch there. It'll allow you to retain a really close connection with your Dad.

From your description, he sounds a little like my Dad, a frugal nature shall we say. My Dad also never felt the need to splash out on a good watch for himself so the one I inherited is nowhere near what you've acquired, but it's mine.

As for sorting it, I agree that Simon Freese is a very good shout for this type of work although I'd think very hard about the extent of any refurb before it's carried out, a lot of memories in those scars and scratches. I think that caseback may be original.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really sorry for your loss

The watch looks great though - a lovely piece to have and remember him by, also great to have something with some colour and fun to it

Aesthetically I imagine a new crystal and a fresh strap which pulls out the colour of the markers and hands would make it something really great to wear - hope you have many years ahead smiling as you wear it
    Last edited by Hennersf; 30th May 2020 at 23:08.

Master
    Thanks all for the kind condolence messages.

I will give myself time to think about what work (if anything) I want done on it. Thanks for the suggestions so far and I would welcome more, both from the resident experts and otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    I think that caseback may be original.
    It may well be. I only suspected it due to lack of logo/marking but then it may be consistent with that model/period.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I own that precise model with a red dial. It is one of my favourite watches.

It has the Omega Cal.565 which I really think can stand toe to toe with any movement from any manufacture ever. Your mother had immaculate taste and has left you a very simple, very fine watch. At the time that this was made Omega were at the top of their game, way ahead of where they are now and this was the entry level version with a simple case and dial but no compromises in the movement. It's a hell of a keepsake
    I wrote a bit about the movement here a while back:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/ov...re-324663.html

My sympathies for your loss.

Master
    Looks like the 136.0041 model Geneve. Back in the day, 1968-73 this was a popular entry level Omega, with a modicum of water resistance. It uses the dependable man wind 613 movement usually. There were no-date versions (135.0041) and slightly more valuable auto versions too which look very similar but bear the 'Automatic' script on the dial, that is the 165.0041/166.0041. The case back is quite correct. They crop on ebay and on forums regularly and sell for a few hundred quid when running well or as little as £150 when they are in need of work, since that work is expensive these days. I have had a couple but didn't wear them often since they are a little small for modern tasted at around 35mm.
    Last edited by Padders; 31st May 2020 at 00:08.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post

Thanks. I will read it properly when I have more time but your write-up has already led me to some valuable info: I never expected it to have a quickset date mechanism. A few days ago when I accidentally experienced date change on pull/push of crown, I thought it was somehow broken and since then have been very careful not to pull the crown all the way out to position 2. Feel stupid now!

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    The case back is quite correct.
    That's really good news - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I have had a couple but didn't wear them often since they are a little small for modern tasted at around 35mm.
    Agree with you regarding the size. Normally I go for 38-40mm diameter. Bought two 36mm watches on different occasions and neither lasted more than a few days. This one is staying for obvious reasons though.

Grand Master
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

I think Padders has covered everything on this one, not much more I can add. I own a similar watch with a deep blue dial.

If all is well the WR will exceed 3 bar so they’re fine for everyday wear and will withstand getting wet. Pitting around the glass sealing area can be a problem but I can usually get a watch to be splashproof with a little work.

The top if the case should have a grained starburst finish and the sides should be polished, they’re easy to refinish if you know what you’re doing. The caseback should have a straight grained finish with no Omega logo.

The hand- wound 613 movement is excellent, basically its a 565 without the auto- winding and most parts are interchangeable. Very straightforward to work on and they usually respond well to a bit of TLC. The hand- wound 600 doesn’t suffer from the weaknesses that can afflict the automatics, a 565 can get expensive when the typical problems associated with the auto- winding rear their head. The quickset date arrangement isn’t the best, they’re OK if everything lubricated properly and its used carefully, but I often find this doesn’t work as it should. It can also cause the setting lever spring to break, its one aspect of these movements I don’t like.

My advice is to get it serviced, fit a new glass, get it waterproof (new caseback seal, new crown seal possibly, if not a new crown) and get the case lightly refinished to sharpen up the appearance. Put it on a new strap and it’ll look fine.

As far as I’m aware this one was never sold with a bracelet option. I modified a bracelet to fit mine, with nicely fitted end- pieces, then decided to keep it on a strap!
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 31st May 2020 at 09:31.

I echo the condolences.

For me, I'd look into having it sympathetically restored to as close as new as economically sensible (I doubt it has a huge value, even if it has huge sentimental attachment).

It was new for him once and restoring it would be a nice way to remember him and probably a nice thought for you mum, too.

Obviously, though, the cost of doing it properly could outweigh the value of the watch, so maybe just a clean, slight polish of the polished parts and a new crystal, along with a new strap would be a sensible compromise (which is pretty much what Walkerwek has suggested, I see) and make a huge difference.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I echo the condolences.

For me, I'd look into having it sympathetically restored to as close as new as economically sensible (I doubt it has a huge value, even if it has huge sentimental attachment).

It was new for him once and restoring it would be a nice way to remember him and probably a nice thought for you mum, too.

Obviously, though, the cost of doing it properly could outweigh the value of the watch, so maybe just a clean, slight polish of the polished parts and a new crystal, along with a new strap would be a sensible compromise (which is pretty much what Walkerwek has suggested, I see) and make a huge difference.

M
    this ^^^^

chances are a light case refurb, new glass and movement service will have it looking great, the glass looks so scratched that you might find the dial is actually in really good shape, hard to tell from pics when the glass could do with being replaced.

as for the economics, not sure it matters, it was your dads, i cant imagine regardless whats spent on it that you can 'lose', preserving the memory and retaining the watch has to be worth it.

sorry to hear of your loss.

Dave

Sorry for your loss. As other saud, it is a priceless keepsake.
    Matt,Padders and Paul have provided some valuable info which should help.

Condolences. I suggest a PM to Walkerwek1958 re: a sympathetic service, he has many happy customers on here (incl. myself).

A light clean, new crystal and a puffer to blow away the debris on the dial and it will be as good as new.

Whether you have the case polished is up to you.

Really nice and unusual Geneve from the usual run of the mill versions and a lovely heirloom.

I have an auto version.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    I own that precise model with a red dial. It is one of my favourite watches.

It has the Omega Cal.565 which I really think can stand toe to toe with any movement from any manufacture ever. Your mother had immaculate taste and has left you a very simple, very fine watch. At the time that this was made Omega were at the top of their game, way ahead of where they are now and this was the entry level version with a simple case and dial but no compromises in the movement. It's a hell of a keepsake

My sympathies for your loss.
    You've got the red one Matt?

Would look good next to my blue version.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Condolences. I suggest a PM to Walkerwek1958 re: a sympathetic service, he has many happy customers on here (incl. myself).
    I totally agree ^^^ he fixed up my old 1978 Omega Cosmic 2000 a treat.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Thanks all. I will get in touch with Simon Freese and walkerwek1958 in the next few days.

Master
    Finally managed to get this restored. Paul (walkerwek1958) did an excellent job inside out!

Excellent job. Nice to see the original dial still has patina.

Hope you enjoy it for many years.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

That's absolutely cracking - a sympathetic restoration job on a lovely, pretty watch. I did something similar with my dad's old Cosmic 2000 (Simon Freese did the work), and I really enjoy wearing it. It's still got the patina, but the more egregious damage from years of neglect was corrected, and it is all-in-all a great wearable classic with loads of emotional clout.

Wear it in health, as they say, and I for one am really glad you decided to get the work done. It looks FG.