closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fixed Lugs - non-NATO Solution

Fixed Lugs - non-NATO Solution

I have just bought a CWC G10 from a member of this parish. A perfect spare watch, but I don't like NATO straps, neither do I want a bund. Is there an alternative strap that would look OK on a military watch? Talking cobblers, there are none here.

Thanks in advance.

I've used these in the past which are good, in the end I switched back to NATO as I prefer the original look.

https://www.timefactors.com/tfopenendaviatorstrap.htm

Craftsman
    When you say you don't like NATO straps, is it specifically the double-pass configuration, and the hardware to fold back the excess?

Because if so, there are any number of one-piece pull-through straps available in canvass, leather, nylon...

If however it's any kind of pull-through strap you don't like, then you're limited really to open-ended leather straps, which lots of manufacturers make. Just Google open-ended straps.

One issue you might have with the G10 is there isn't a lot of space between the lugs, so anything pull-through which is thick, or even padded leather open ended straps might be tight.

A decent quality perlon can look really good, or there are plenty of single pass straps out there if you are just not keen on the extra bulk of a NATO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I've used these in the past which are good, in the end I switched back to NATO as I prefer the original look.

https://www.timefactors.com/tfopenendaviatorstrap.htm
    They look nice. Sadly the G10 is 18mm. Thank-you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    When you say you don't like NATO straps, is it specifically the double-pass configuration, and the hardware to fold back the excess?

Because if so, there are any number of one-piece pull-through straps available in canvass, leather, nylon...

If however it's any kind of pull-through strap you don't like, then you're limited really to open-ended leather straps, which lots of manufacturers make. Just Google open-ended straps.

One issue you might have with the G10 is there isn't a lot of space between the lugs, so anything pull-through which is thick, or even padded leather open ended straps might be tight.
    It's the folding back bit that is the faff I don't like, plus the NATOs are a bit thin for my liking.

Pull-through and open-ended were the terms I was missing. This will be hugley helpful, as well as the hint on the lug space. Thank-you.

Quote Originally Posted by enndriz View Post
    A decent quality perlon can look really good, or there are plenty of single pass straps out there if you are just not keen on the extra bulk of a NATO
    I have heard of Perlon, but don't know what it is. Thank-you for the suggestion. I will go and investigate.

Craftsman
    Steveostraps do a bund, but it’s custom made so you could ask for it without the bund part? It would then be a leather strap with screw fixing, minus the extra bit of leather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get leather straps for vintage watches with fixed bars
    You loop the leather around the bar and then fix with acetone there are also some that fit with metal split pins or clip on type.
    https://www.watch-band-center.com/wa...raps-18mm.html

Quote Originally Posted by Alasdairmc View Post
    Steveostraps do a bund, but it’s custom made so you could ask for it without the bund part? It would then be a leather strap with screw fixing, minus the extra bit of leather.
    Yes I like the look of the Black Forest. A combination of that with a G10 Military Bund, without the bund would be perfect. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    You can get leather straps for vintage watches with fixed bars
    You loop the leather around the bar and then fix with acetone there are also some that fit with metal split pins or clip on type.
    https://www.watch-band-center.com/wa...raps-18mm.html
    Thank-you. I think Steveostraps will be my solution.

I've used Steveo a few times.

I particularly like the 'Fury' bund which has a splendid vintage look and feel.

He will customise to your exact requirements and his prices are very reasonable.

Thank-you V. I just didn't like that one. It's not smart enough imho. I scrolled down quickly.

31/05/2020

I had an email from Steveostraps. He offered me the G10 Bund made with the Black Forest leather, but suggested I went with the bund instead of a bund-less deal. I have accepted this suggestion. The strap/bund, buckle and postage have come out to under £50. He will be making it in a couple of weeks, so all is working out well.
    Last edited by Templogin; 31st May 2020 at 15:29.

Jurgens in Germany makes straps for fixed lugs. For an 18mm strap they would have a single Chicago screw as on the Hanhart below. On the second photo you can see on the lugs where the strap folds back on itself. They also make the type with stainless clips (I haven't tried those).