Instagram can be a dangerous place. All manner of delightful watches, straps and bracelets appear. If you’re weak willed, as we all can be, especially after a lockdown drinkie, you can end up purchasing something you’ve previously discounted but recently seen looking fantastic on IG.

In my case, that was a what I called a “JB Champion” bracelet, as seen in many iconic images of the Apollo astronauts with their Speedmasters, during briefings and on geological field trips. Searching on TZUK showed that originals from the 60s were rare and expensive. I knew that someone was making updated versions, and so I found myself on the Forstner website.

This company makes four versions of what they call the Forstner Komfit "JB" Mesh Watch Band. A quick aside, the site explains the history of the band and the rather confusing name. There are four versions, one with horned end links, another with straight end links, both available in two sizes; “original” which caters for wrists from 7 - 10” and “regular” for the smaller wristed, up to 7.5”. They have updated and improved the bracelets so that the width is now 16mm rather than 15mm, as well as removing the gap between the end link and the lugs. The end pieces, are spring loaded. Everything is of course in stainless steel.

I decided on one with horned end links, in the original size. Dispatch was very quick with tracking, and it arrived in only a couple of days. The strap is packaged in a white branded box and they include 8 internal lug protectors, these are small stickers which; “help ensure the ends of the bracelet do not directly contact the internal portion of your watch's lugs.” I didn’t bother with them.

The bracelet is very light indeed but doesn’t feel shoddy or poorly built. Attaching the end links with the spring-loaded end pieces was exceptionally easy. This was not the case, when it first came to adjusting and locking the clasp. This is not intuitive and there are tricks and tips required to get these tasks achieved. The company have uploaded some helpful videos on how to accomplish both tasks.

First, you have to slide the buckle to the correct position on the bracelet. That’s comparatively easy to do but I found using the clasp to lock the bracelet was very frustrating. This is because the watch wants to slide around your wrist and the angle for hooking the latch over the buckle is quite narrow. You also have to pull on the loose end of the bracelet so you have enough slack to enable the clasp’s hook to reach the buckle. Disingenuously, the video showing how to use the clasp is filmed with the watch off wrist, it’s a lot harder on wrist, with the watch flapping around.

It definitely takes practice to lock and unlock the clasp, and this is for me the weakest area of the design. I would strongly recommend practicing over something soft, so that if your Speedy does go flying it will land safely. I’m sure that after a few days wear, this will become second nature.

In wear, the Komfit is, as the name would suggest, incredibly comfortable. The lightness of the mesh material and the fact that you can adjust the clasp to give you a perfect fit ensures you have a pleasant experience. I wear mine with some slack, which assists with putting it on and taking it off but you could wear it tight if you desired. I was slightly worried that the mesh links might be hair pullers but I’ve not found this to be the case at all. The smallness of the individual links makes the bracelet wear like a jubilee and it drapes around your wrist perfectly comfortably.

Some will not like the vintage appearance of this bracelet, particularly the gap at the lugs (more prominent I feel in the straight bar version) which is why I chose the horned end links. At 16mm some may consider the bracelet too thin, given the 20mm lug and 42mm diameter of the Speedmaster. Each to their own of course, but I love the way that a watch which has not essentially changed aesthetically since the early 60s can be made to time travel by fitting a different bracelet to it. It feels more comfortable than my 1171/1 and provides a similar vintage feel, albeit from a slightly different era.

Finally if you are interested in one, please make sure you order on the UK website. I had originally placed my order on the .com website and received a helpful and pleasant e-mail informing me that I was an idiot and that as there was a UK website, shipping would naturally be quicker and cheaper, and would I like to cancel my order to allow me to reorder on the UK site.

Some shots:

The Speedy on the bracelet.

The horned end link.

The buckle and clasp:

The undone buckle and slack:

Off the wrist:

The total length on the original version, and if you can see, the nice touch of a JB imprint on the side of the buckle.