closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Forstner Komfit "JB" Mesh

Forstner Komfit "JB" Mesh

Instagram can be a dangerous place. All manner of delightful watches, straps and bracelets appear. If you’re weak willed, as we all can be, especially after a lockdown drinkie, you can end up purchasing something you’ve previously discounted but recently seen looking fantastic on IG.

In my case, that was a what I called a “JB Champion” bracelet, as seen in many iconic images of the Apollo astronauts with their Speedmasters, during briefings and on geological field trips. Searching on TZUK showed that originals from the 60s were rare and expensive. I knew that someone was making updated versions, and so I found myself on the Forstner website.

This company makes four versions of what they call the Forstner Komfit "JB" Mesh Watch Band. A quick aside, the site explains the history of the band and the rather confusing name. There are four versions, one with horned end links, another with straight end links, both available in two sizes; “original” which caters for wrists from 7 - 10” and “regular” for the smaller wristed, up to 7.5”. They have updated and improved the bracelets so that the width is now 16mm rather than 15mm, as well as removing the gap between the end link and the lugs. The end pieces, are spring loaded. Everything is of course in stainless steel.

I decided on one with horned end links, in the original size. Dispatch was very quick with tracking, and it arrived in only a couple of days. The strap is packaged in a white branded box and they include 8 internal lug protectors, these are small stickers which; “help ensure the ends of the bracelet do not directly contact the internal portion of your watch's lugs.” I didn’t bother with them.

The bracelet is very light indeed but doesn’t feel shoddy or poorly built. Attaching the end links with the spring-loaded end pieces was exceptionally easy. This was not the case, when it first came to adjusting and locking the clasp. This is not intuitive and there are tricks and tips required to get these tasks achieved. The company have uploaded some helpful videos on how to accomplish both tasks.

First, you have to slide the buckle to the correct position on the bracelet. That’s comparatively easy to do but I found using the clasp to lock the bracelet was very frustrating. This is because the watch wants to slide around your wrist and the angle for hooking the latch over the buckle is quite narrow. You also have to pull on the loose end of the bracelet so you have enough slack to enable the clasp’s hook to reach the buckle. Disingenuously, the video showing how to use the clasp is filmed with the watch off wrist, it’s a lot harder on wrist, with the watch flapping around.

It definitely takes practice to lock and unlock the clasp, and this is for me the weakest area of the design. I would strongly recommend practicing over something soft, so that if your Speedy does go flying it will land safely. I’m sure that after a few days wear, this will become second nature.

In wear, the Komfit is, as the name would suggest, incredibly comfortable. The lightness of the mesh material and the fact that you can adjust the clasp to give you a perfect fit ensures you have a pleasant experience. I wear mine with some slack, which assists with putting it on and taking it off but you could wear it tight if you desired. I was slightly worried that the mesh links might be hair pullers but I’ve not found this to be the case at all. The smallness of the individual links makes the bracelet wear like a jubilee and it drapes around your wrist perfectly comfortably.

Some will not like the vintage appearance of this bracelet, particularly the gap at the lugs (more prominent I feel in the straight bar version) which is why I chose the horned end links. At 16mm some may consider the bracelet too thin, given the 20mm lug and 42mm diameter of the Speedmaster. Each to their own of course, but I love the way that a watch which has not essentially changed aesthetically since the early 60s can be made to time travel by fitting a different bracelet to it. It feels more comfortable than my 1171/1 and provides a similar vintage feel, albeit from a slightly different era.

Finally if you are interested in one, please make sure you order on the UK website. I had originally placed my order on the .com website and received a helpful and pleasant e-mail informing me that I was an idiot and that as there was a UK website, shipping would naturally be quicker and cheaper, and would I like to cancel my order to allow me to reorder on the UK site.

Some shots:

The Speedy on the bracelet.

The horned end link.

The buckle and clasp:

The undone buckle and slack:

Off the wrist:

The total length on the original version, and if you can see, the nice touch of a JB imprint on the side of the buckle.

I too have been looking for a JB champion for a few years

Thanks for sharing as this looks just the ticket

Ordered!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Looking good, some serious temptation fir a new strap there.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I too have been looking for a JB champion for a few years

Thanks for sharing as this looks just the ticket

Ordered!
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Looking good, some serious temptation fir a new strap there.
    I hope you enjoy it SL, it's a nice bracelet and I've practising since I posted, I can now do the clasp up first time. It takes more effort to undo it, but that's probably just as well.
    If you do go for it Ben, I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    just ordered one.

went for the regular as I felt the original would have about half the bracelet double thickness as it goes over itself to shorten if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I hope you enjoy it SL, it's a nice bracelet and I've practising since I posted, I can now do the clasp up first time. It takes more effort to undo it, but that's probably just as well.
    If you do go for it Ben, I'm sure you'd enjoy it.
    Cheers,

Ben

I have been looking for a bit. I wear my speedy on a SEB Velcro which is comfy but it’s starting to look a bit tatty now. I hope the JB style bracelet will be more hardy but still have the vintage look.

Great stuff gents, sadly I'm not on commission ;)

I'll be very interested to hear how you get on with the clasp, I'm finding it easier each time I use it.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Mine arrived today! I have to say I am happy, looks to be very good quality.
    It should be a comfortable bracelet for the summer.
    Pictures to follow!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Mine was shipped on Monday so fingers crossed it will arrive today.

My initial intentions are for it to go onto another watch besides the the Speedy, should be an interesting exercise.
    Cheers,

Ben

Mine arrived today! I have to say I am happy, looks to be very good quality.
    It should be a comfortable bracelet for the summer.
    Pictures to follow!
    Looking forward to seeing them. Did you go for the horned or straight?

Horned lugs for me
    It’s very comfortable on the wrist.

My arm also needs a post lock down hair cut!
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 3rd June 2020 at 11:52.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Mine arrived this morning and am chuffed to bits with it.

I had a thought when I ordered it that it would look great on my 806 re addition but stupidly I did not realise that its 22mm

So on the Speedy it will stay

Great look, very light weight and super comfy.
    Cheers,

Ben

I think this would look really good on my original Glycine Airman as well.
    Might have to try that a bit later
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 3rd June 2020 at 13:22.

Hello Chaps!

Firstly...

I’m the guy who runs the EU distribution for the Forstner Bands.

Secondly...

Thanks to all that ordered from me! Means a lot especially in these uncertain times!

I’m glad everyone is enjoying theirs.

Below is the next Forstner to be released, the Bonklip reissue! More exciting stuff coming too but I’m sworn to secrecy!

Regards

Darren (Forstner Bands UK & Vintage Speedmaster)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, lord. Might have to wait for that Bonklip so that I can hit two stainless steel birds in one proverbial stone.

That 16mm bracelet looks tiny, though. And I wonder if the horned end links would scrape the case on some models with shorter lugs?

Quote Originally Posted by dlt222 View Post
    Hello Chaps!

Firstly...

I’m the guy who runs the EU distribution for the Forstner Bands.

Secondly...

Thanks to all that ordered from me! Means a lot especially in these uncertain times!

I’m glad everyone is enjoying theirs.

Below is the next Forstner to be released, the Bonklip reissue! More exciting stuff coming too but I’m sworn to secrecy!

Regards

Darren (Forstner Bands UK & Vintage Speedmaster)

Hi yep happy customer here
    The bonklip looks interesting will it fit fixed bars and what will the lug width be?

Nice to see that sellers, hello Darren, are on the forum and can react to positive stories, and should they ever arise, hopefully resolve issues.

Ben and Sinnlover's shots are excellent and it's interesting to see, so far, we all went with the horned ends.

I'd not thought of using it on another watch but I have one in mind for a trial. I'll get my camera out later.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by dlt222 View Post

Below is the next Forstner to be released, the Bonklip reissue! ...

That will look terrific on the forthcoming Navigator.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Journeyman
    Thanks dkpw for that most informative post.

Journeyman

Forstner Komfit "JB" Mesh

I do like this.
    Looks like I need some watches with 20mm lugs.

Thanks for posting.

I can see one of these going well on a Polerouter - I think I'll wait for the Bonklip and then get the two.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Not being familiar with the Bonklip, I found this site which was an interesting read:

https://corvuswatch.blogspot.com/201...lip-watch.html

Not being familiar with the Bonklip, I found this site which was an interesting read:

https://corvuswatch.blogspot.com/201...lip-watch.html
    See also this pdf link.

Hi yep happy customer here
    The bonklip looks interesting will it fit fixed bars and what will the lug width be?
    I hope he comes back with an answer. I would prefer it with springy ends that self adjust from 16-18 or 18-20 (preferably).

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    I hope he comes back with an answer. I would prefer it with springy ends that self adjust from 16-18 or 18-20 (preferably).
    I will find out. I only know a few bits about it but the Q has been asked.

These bands were quite popular with astronauts who wore them on their 'Astronauts'!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    These bands were quite popular with astronauts who wore them on their 'Astronauts'!
    That is supercool. It is good to see the bracelet on something else than the Speedy (on which it looks divine, by the way).

Craftsman
    I'm interested in the bonklip.

Although I actually don't know if I have anything in the box at the moment which it would suit.

Might need to buy a new watch...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Am I right in thinking that if the end links are spring loaded then they'd fit on a watch with 19mm lugs?

Journeyman
    I just received mine & can confirm the ends are spring loaded and will go down to 17mm.

It's currently on my PRS-29 (18mm) and looks great. Very fiddly to assemble, especially with my presbyopia

but eventually managed it. The Forstner videos are useful if you're struggling.

Craftsman
    What sort of damage can spring loaded end links like these do to the inside of lugs?

Any experience long term?

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    What sort of damage can spring loaded end links like these do to the inside of lugs?

Any experience long term?
    If I understand it correctly, it comes with stick-on rubber washers, to protect the lugs, but most people don't bother with them.

They do come with little rubber washers
    The horned version does not move about in the lugs though.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by procrustes View Post
    I just received mine & can confirm the ends are spring loaded and will go down to 17mm.

It's currently on my PRS-29 (18mm) and looks great. Very fiddly to assemble, especially with my presbyopia

but eventually managed it. The Forstner videos are useful if you're struggling.
    Perfect, thank you

Craftsman
    They do come with little rubber washers
    The horned version does not move about in the lugs though.
    Good to know, thanks.

Just a quick update after a month of wearing the JB komfit.

Any trickiness clipping or unclipping the bracelet has entirely gone; it's become second nature. It's also still incredibly comfortable and easily adjustable if you prefer wearing it tight. Finally it just looks right, especially if you like the 60s look.
    David