closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega Seamaster or Tudor GMT

Omega Seamaster or Tudor GMT

Looking for a decent daily watch to treat myself if I get through this with half decent finances, I have quite a long (and irrational) wish list, and have settled upon either a Seamaster or a Tudor GMT.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/w...21030422001001

https://www.tudorwatch.com/watches/b.../m79830rb-0001

I’m leaning towards the Tudor, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

2 great choices. I do like the seamaster and having only handled one in a shop I can’t say much on it.

I bought a Tudor GMT a little over a year ago and can honestly say it’s been on my wrist pretty much every day. It wasn’t the intention either, it was a ‘for best’ type of purchase but it’s too smart to live in a box. There’s been quite a few (especially on here) who’ve had date issues not operating properly but I’ve not had that with mine. Looks great on bracelet and leather imo.

I don’t think you can go far wrong with either to be honest.

Hope this helps
    Jon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    While you can’t go wrong with either watch, I’m a bit biased as I own the blue dialled SMP, and find it a step above the black bay (I’ve owned 2, and have handled the GMT)
    If it was my money, I’d be looking at the white dialled SMP, as IMO it’s pure class! (I brought my blue before the white came out, blue would be a close runner up)

Craftsman
    Seamaster for me

Both great watches but it would be the Tudor GMT for me.

Very very different watches. It’ll depend what you want out of a watch. I’ll state the obvious... do you NEED a gmt?

Craftsman
    I have both and wear my GMT during the week for work. It really is a great watch and value for money IMO.

The Seamaster is also stunning and a classic really, but hardly ever gets any wrist time now which is a shame, when you look at what your getting for the money, the Seamaster is simply outstanding. I have it on NATO as I think the only let down is the bulky clasp that annoys me, but that’s just me.

If I was in your position, I would be going for the blue SMPc on rubber, save up and get the GMT used at another time.

Either way both are great choices and I’m sure you will be very happy with either one you choose.

omega. the hands on tudor are awful IMO, they look like the belong on an Invicta but that is just my thoughts on it

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip View Post
    While you can’t go wrong with either watch, I’m a bit biased as I own the blue dialled SMP, and find it a step above the black bay (I’ve owned 2, and have handled the GMT)
    If it was my money, I’d be looking at the white dialled SMP, as IMO it’s pure class! (I brought my blue before the white came out, blue would be a close runner up)
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/om...er-300m-review

Loving the white dial Omega is a popular choice.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

The Omega for me, the 42mm 300m Diver’s are incredibly good value.

Master
    Faced with the same decision I bought the GMT. Personally I find it to be a nicer looking watch. I just couldn’t get to grips with the bracelet style on the omega. The omega technically is a better watch but on the occasion that was not enough, especially as the GMT has more than enough diver capability.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    The Omega for me, the 42mm 300m Diver’s are incredibly good value.
    Exactly this - so good I had two up until last week 😉

Craftsman
    Availability is something to think about. I bought the BB GMT in Autumn last year, but I went on the waiting list for it in April 2019 so I waited about 6 months. (Ironically, I saw it in the John Lewis display window about 6 months after I went on the list and bought it from them. I got the call from the wait list dealer about 3 weeks later).

I don't know if the situation has changed in the last 6 months for the BB GMT or whether a significant wait is an issue for you I get the impression that Omega's are more readily available.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

Found this, no affiliation with the company, quite a decent saving compared to Goldsmiths, etc:

https://www.swisswatchesdirect.co.uk...r_300_m_(42mm)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quite a full write up on Hodinkee for the Omega:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/om...er-300m-review

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Master
    A New grey dial Seamaster with blue rubber available for £3195 at Hackett watches.

Master
    I have currently got a gmt and have had a seamaster many years ago. For me I’m would have a new gmt over a new seamaster. Price wise they are similar although difficult to get a discount off a new gmt.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    GMT just edges it for me, but I’d be happy with either. Obviously there’s a big difference in RRP so that should be factored in when comparing I guess. Plus discounts. I’d be going for 20% off the Omega and 10% off the Tudor which evens them up a bit more.
    Last edited by Devonian; 30th May 2020 at 09:50.

Craftsman
    I would usually say the seamaster all day long but that GMT is one very tempting watch, never 100% about the hands but I do keep coming back to it on a regular basis.

Master
    Looked at both myself- Bought a White Seamaster, so comfortable and the white version looks stunning. If I was buying a Tudor I’d buy another Pelagos, GMT just didn’t do it for me,

Seamaster everytime for me ... thats even without taking into account the date issues with the GMT which are still fairly common

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Faced with the same decision I bought the GMT. Personally I find it to be a nicer looking watch. I just couldn’t get to grips with the bracelet style on the omega. The omega technically is a better watch but on the occasion that was not enough, especially as the GMT has more than enough diver capability.
    I’m with this view - am sure the Omega is technically superior, but the Tudor is gorgeous!

If I had bigger wrists I’d definitely be after one

Personally I think the vintage styling of the GMT makes it more ‘timeless’, whilst the omega seems very current and may not age as well in a few years time (but appreciate the opposite could be true!)

Master
    Seamaster as many have said is a great VFM watch...i sold a Rolex SD43 and replaced it with one of these and have no regrets.

Seamaster without question. The Tudor GMT looks great in pictures but in real life is an obese slab. Pair that up with a GMT hand that goes outside the chapter ring (which should be an arrow, not a snowflake), plus the bracelet with rivets which isn't adjustable and it isn't even close. And that's before getting to the movements. 100% Seamaster, preferably in in black or white. Not a perfect watch and has its own issues (date at 6, helium escape valve not needed, bezel not grippy) but it still isn't close.

Master
    I’m a big Seamaster fan so that would be the one I would go for too.

I may not be in the majority here, but personally I think the Seamaster hands are one of the greatest design travesties in watch history. They're just awful, and totally graceless.
    Why they ditched the sword hands I'll never know.
    Again, maybe not in the majority, but I do really like snowflake hands (I would, I have a '769 4110, an ETA Pelagos and a BB GMT).
    The Tudor has a lot more timelessness to the design, and offers a further complication (2 if you count the fact that you can turn the bezel, which is not the Seamaster's strong suit).
    Modern Omegas have a very high standard of finishing, and these have exceptionally glossy dial sections, something you may like, or not.
    Tudor would be (and actually is) my choice.
    Dave

Master
    Yep, both great watches. I'd go for the SMP. I looked at a blue and passed as in dull lighting it is black. That can be nice but having a black dialed po I wanted a brighter blue and bought a pelagos. If I'd looked at the silver dialed SMP or the white (wasn't out when I looked) I may have gone that route instead.

Anyway, both Tudor and omega are good, no great, watches, but I think the SMP is far superior and better value.

Journeyman
    Another gmt fan over here , the SMP is a lovely watch however the gmt edges it for me . The hands on the gmt might be marmite to some but I actually really like the design , good luck with your choice both lovely pieces .

All other things being equal, it would have to be the Tudor. But there's no evidence the well publicised problems with that movement are fully and finally resolved.

At this stage of the game I'd be sitting tight and waiting for the inevitable BB58 GMT and hoping they've figured out what's wrong with the bloody things by then.

Journeyman
    While I'm not a huge fan of the SMP's hands, they're definitely better than the Tudor's snowflake. Also, the Seamster is better built and feels more premium.

I would almost go for option C and get a Seamster 300 or a Planet Ocean instead (budget permitting of course)

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the comments.

The reason for getting one of these is that I want something I can wear anywhere, and can cope with the odd knock without worrying. I’ve had several watches with a polished bezel and I’m obviously too clumsy as I end up scratching and scuffing them. So I want something with a dive bezel which can cope with the odd scuff.

Other criteria :
    No numerals on the dial, I like markers (so that rules out the Seamaster 300 and PO)
    Must have a date
    Not titanium (I prefer the weight of steel)
    Some sort of micro adjust on the bracelet/clasp, even though I’ll probably end up wearing it on rubber
    Swiss (I’ve had several high end Seikos in the past but I’m in the mood for something Swiss at the moment)
    Automatic mechanical movement

Also, current watches and why they don’t do the ‘daily’ job for me, even though I love them all :
    GS Snowflake - basically it’s too nice for me, I keep scratching and scuffing the polished bezel, love the Spring Drive but feel like having a regular mechanical as my daily
    Omega Speedmaster Professional - hesalite scratches too easily for me, plus I want my daily to be automatic. No date
    Rolex SDc - meets my criteria, but it’s now worth a lot more than I paid and I feel I can’t wear a Rolex when I go to certain places (I left it at home when I last went to Brazil)
    I have some less expensive watches that could do the job (Swatch Sistem51, SKX007...) but want something more premium on my wrist every day.

Apologies for rambling on, and some of my criteria are probably irrational and arbitrary, but that’s how I’ve narrowed my choices down to the watches in my OP.

I’d forgotten about the Tudor date issue, is that still a problem on new production?

Finally, I assume 20% off is possible on the Omega, are discounts likely on the Tudor? I recall recently there was a waiting list for these?

Owning both the GMT and the new Seamaster (blue dial) they’re certainly both wonderful watches. IMO the Tudor is perhaps the better looker but the Seamaster is certainly much better quality in engineering terms and clearly has the better movement.

The GMT is perhaps more versatile, whereas the Seamaster IMO excels as a sporty watch (certainly on rubber). I’ve yet to see the white dial Seamaster in the metal but it looks stunning on the rubber strap.

I bought both around the same time last autumn. Initially I wore the GMT most, but since putting the Seamaster on the OEM rubber, it is now seeing more wrist time than the Tudor.

Craftsman
    Are you in the habit of using the bezel on skx007 & SDC to time things? If not, GMT would add something different.
    Else, Omega will be useful for daily use.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master
    The “on the fly” clasp adjustment on the new SMP is a great bit of engineering, and better/easier to use than the glide lock on my SubC (IMO)
    I'm unsure what adjustment is available on the GMT, but it would be hard pressed to beat the Omega.

Craftsman
    As the owner of the BB GMT I have a love / hate relationship with it. I bought one just after Baselworld release, sold it a few months later, then bought one back again within a year. Not smart! Things I love: the bezel, the price, the legibility, the vintage appeal. Things I hate: the thickness, weight, size of the crown. Things I miss: Glidelock / Easylink. I would choose the Seamaster. You get a lot of bang for your buck with that watch.

I think the Tudor will hold its value better and be the tougher of the two as the build quality is amazing. Both are great watches.

The Tudor is a much less common, and doesn’t suffer from the sheer volume of variations, unlike the Omega.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    A New grey dial Seamaster with blue rubber available for £3195 at Hackett watches.
    That's excellent, I actually like the grey dial the most I think, white a close second.

Another vote for the Seamaster here.

I’d probably say Seamaster just because it’s a lot more comfortable than the Tudor.

Personally I find the Tudor GMT a bit too colorful to be worn everyday. The Seamaster wins the contest hands down for me. The new Seamaster is utterly gorgeous and the dial changes colors under different lighting like a chameleon. Besides the fact that you can wear it on a bracelet and switch it to a rubber also makes it more versatile for me.

The Tudor GMT is no less a watch but I'd buy the Seamaster first and then the Tudor later.

Blog Entries
    Seamaster for me. If you could get a 2513.80 you would have a classic, with a movement that could be serviced by most indies at low cost - tried and tested.

Else get the current model with near 20% off - try Banks Lyon - ask for Ruby.

Journeyman
    No contest for me, the Seamaster all day.

Funny one this; I think they are both great watches and yet both have flaws that would put me off. I have a BB41 and am a big fan of Tudor, but the GMT doesn’t look quite right to me. Having handled it it’s far far more hefty than my BB41, and although I love Tudors snowflake hands I don’t feel they look right on that particular watch, probably because the Pepsi bezel is so synonymous with Rolex and, therefore, the Mercedes hands. The snowflakes just look out of place within the context of that design.

The white dial Seamaster with the black bezel is stunning. That would 100% be my choice if I were the OP - if I could just change one thing it would be to ditch the HEV, it’s ugly and unnecessary.

Master
    I'd go for a Seamaster 300 before either of the OP options to be honest. Tudor is bigger than it needs to be and the current SMP too shiny. SM300 for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd go for the SMP only if it's in a color other than a generic black. The Tudor GMT is a great option if you plan on flipping later on as it holds value better than Omega's poor resale.

Love mine, personally I don’t get the ‘too big’ comments... skinny wrists but i think it looks great!

CDFA4CFE-3152-435E-90FE-0C512B8D892E.jpg

As a lot of people say, they are very different watches. I have the Tudor GMT and a 10 year old SMP, the GMT wears a lot bigger on my small wrists but I really like it and wears great with a suit.

The SMP wears a lot smaller but is a classic, agree with a few others on the white dial. Looks amazing but haven’t seen one in the flesh.

Blog Entries
    Would have to be the Seamaster for me. The Tudor is ok, but the Seamaster is a classic and also has the co-axial 'Master Chronometer' movement in it. Also has Omegas quick adjust bracelet which is excellent! Only difference is, for me it has to be the iconic blue!

Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    I have a BB41 and am a big fan of Tudor, but the GMT doesn’t look quite right to me. Having handled it it’s far far more hefty than my BB41,
    That is an interesting observation, one that I disagree with. I compared directly a BB Blue (41mm) with my BB GMT when I picked it up. Weight wise they were almost identical, but it is the BB GMT that has a scalloped back that reduces the height of the "slab" sides by about 1.5mm, the BB Blue had no such feature, making it look significantly blockier.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    That is an interesting observation, one that I disagree with. I compared directly a BB Blue (41mm) with my BB GMT when I picked it up. Weight wise they were almost identical, but it is the BB GMT that has a scalloped back that reduces the height of the "slab" sides by about 1.5mm, the BB Blue had no such feature, making it look significantly blockier.
    Dave
    Is your BB Blue the in house movement? The BB41 is ETA and is 11mm in case thickness, it’s a fairly slender watch and noticeably leaner than the Tudor GMT which I think is over 14.5mm if memory serves.

Craftsman
    I have a bond seamaster and black bay red ,I have also turned down the gmt last year from my local AD even though I lusted after it from when it was released..
    In short it would be the seamaster for me I just feel it's the best choice of two different watches!!!
    Its your preference at the end of the day and the seamaster will be easier to come by and you won't have to pay a premium..

Sent from my SM-G960F using TZ-UK mobile app