closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Accuracy of an 8 day movement?

Master

Accuracy of an 8 day movement?

I know good time keeping is an issue with watches with long power reserve. I have never had joy with my IWC or Panerai. I just wonder what is acceptable over a 7 day period in terms of time gain / loss?

I’ve had no problem with my Radiomir 268. You have a reserve indicator, just see how it goes on the last day and if you have any variances then. I always rewound mine before it ran out and it was fine

Blog Entries
    I'm going to have a stab - For me 30sec gain/loss over 7 days would be acceptable to me (for a non-COSC watch).

It's bit like a piece of string though. Others may expect tighter accuracy.

I had a Panerai with an 8 day movement and it deviated an average of 4 secs a day but actually would gain a minute and a half by day 3 and then slow down to be around 30 secs fast after 8 days. That was acceptable to me and within spec

Master
    I had a PAM with an 8 day movement, 346, and it was super accurate, well within cosc over an 8 day wind.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mine maintains a consistent small gain for the first 6/7 days but it really takes off as it's getting towards the end. Not a massive issue as I switch out all the time but if wearing for more than a week at a time it's no great hardship to wind it up once a week to maintain the rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I had a PAM with an 8 day movement, 346, and it was super accurate, well within cosc over an 8 day wind.

That'll be the one! I'm finding it gaining around 5-7 seconds on day 8 but before that it's around a second.

Master
    I have had 3 Pam's with an 8 day movement, the 233 with the in house P.2002/1 and a 590 with the in house P.5000 and both have been accurate over the 8 day period, I personally am happy with +/- 6sec per day and IIRC these were pretty damn close to that. Also have the 190 with the JLC 8 day and I tested it with/against the 233 and there was no noticeable difference, albeit the JLC winds like butter and is much nicer to look at.

I love 8 day manual movements! Best of all worlds.

Blog Entries
    Can anyone comment on any 8 day IWC experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Can anyone comment on any 8 day IWC experiences?
    Timed my BP over 23 days, and it gained an average of 6.7 sec/day. It was well wound for the majority of the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    That'll be the one! I'm finding it gaining around 5-7 seconds on day 8 but before that it's around a second.
    Hope you are still enjoying it mate. The best everyday wearing radiomir by far IMHO. Miss it

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Hope you are still enjoying it mate. The best everyday wearing radiomir by far IMHO. Miss it

Absolutely love it. Nice and chunky but wears small because of the lugs, light because it's titanium. I wondered if the handwind and date would be an issue for me but with an 8 day movement it's no great hardship and the date function, while not for the purists, is useful. There's nothing for me to dislike about it, a Panerai can be a head AND heart purchase!

Master
    Two things to say/share on this.

I have three 8 day Panerai and did a test on one of them (233) and it ran for 10 1/2 days and was keeping accurate time for 10 days of that time. https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...8-day-movement

As for longer term my 670 has lost 20 secs over the last 22 days, and -36 since 15th April. So less than -1 sec a day. It's not been fully wound a lot of the time and has been mostly off the wrist.

I would say that's pretty impressive.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Last time I did any measurements on my Portuguese 5001, several years ago, it could run at +4 seconds per day but, from memory, that was very much position dependent.

Master
    So I have timed my watch over last 8 days. It is losing about 10 seconds a day and more on the final day, giving a total time loss of 100 seconds over 8 days. The movement is a Panerai 2002. Is this acceptable or should I get Panerai to have a look?

BTW it is still under warranty

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    So I have timed my watch over last 8 days. It is losing about 10 seconds a day and more on the final day, giving a total time loss of 100 seconds over 8 days. The movement is a Panerai 2002. Is this acceptable or should I get Panerai to have a look?

Deffo send it back. I sent a 422 back as it was loosing time and it came back all sorted and with a full service done foc, paperwork and book stamped.
    People complain about PAM customer service but my experience has been positive on each occasion I had to use them. Maybe a little slow but that would be my only slight moan.

Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post

If One and a half minutes a week bothers you, then yes, send it back

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Mine maintains a consistent small gain for the first 6/7 days but it really takes off as it's getting towards the end. Not a massive issue as I switch out all the time but if wearing for more than a week at a time it's no great hardship to wind it up once a week to maintain the rate.
    OK, I've had it running since 29th May, that's 13 days now. And in that time... it's bloody bang on. I had set it around 15s behind in anticipation of it gaining a little a day but it's still 15s behind. Ridiculous.