closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend me something for my dad's 80th...(thanks).

Recommend me something for my dad's 80th...(thanks).

My dad is 80 on the 18th of June. As part of his Birthday celebration gift package I had tickets for the Oval next Friday for the Windies Test. I had train tickets purchased too and told him to leave his wallet at home! Unfortunately, like many things, this won't be happening now. The ticket, plus train, taxis, food & drink etc would have probably come to around the £150 mark.

I've got him a few other gifts and we can now actually meet up on the big day too, but I'd like to substitute the money I'd set aside for the Test for a watch instead. He's got a modest collect of about 10 or so now, nothing very expensive but he likes to chop and change to suit the occasion.

He's quite a big fella so 40mm and above would be ideal and it can be quartz or mechanical, and he's happy with leather, rubber or stainless for the strap. I've seen a nice Orient Bambino for around the £108 mark with a suede strap but wondered what else there is for around £150 I was thinking of a G Shock which he could wear in the garden but I'm unsure if his eyes could read the display, although size wise he could easily wear it.

Appreciate this kind of question has been asked many times but I'm kind of going round in circles at the moment as to where to kick of the search as it's been a long time since I purchased anything.

Oh, and I've looked on SC but there's nothing that really fits the bill and budget. Not sure what he's wearing here but something on a NATO :-)

Thanks,
    Steve.

Craftsman
    Hard to say because there's so many options at that price point from Seiko, Citizen, Bulova etc. Without being more specific on the kind of style he'd like then I'd say just pick something. The Bambino and the G-Shock are both polar opposites in terms of style so there's an infinite space in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    Hard to say because there's so many options at that price point from Seiko, Citizen, Bulova etc. Without being more specific on the kind of style he'd like then I'd say just pick something. The Bambino and the G-Shock are both polar opposites in terms of style so there's an infinite space in between.
    Yes, I appreciate that. His collection goes from classic Rotary dresswatch with roman numerals and a gold coloured case to a freebie that I got from Eddie years ago that has a Panerai/TW Steel Canteen style to it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post
    Yes, I appreciate that. His collection goes from classic Rotary dresswatch with roman numerals and a gold coloured case to a freebie that I got from Eddie years ago that has a Panerai/TW Steel Canteen style to it.
    Any obvious gaps in the collection? Sounds like he has the dress watch covered so might make the bambino redundant for example.

Master
    PRS-40 Auto? Something a bit quirky, with an interesting back-story?

Master
    At around that price point, if you're thinking of a diver, then not much can beat the Citizen Promaster Eco Drive BN0151-17L (or it's black-dialled brother). That would cost ~GBP130-140 on rubber and, for ~GBP200, you can get it on what is, by all accounts, an excellent steel bracelet with a glidelock-style adjustable bracelet (but, better yet, adjustable on-wrist).
    Last edited by ColDaspin; 29th May 2020 at 17:38.

Invicta - just had one come today £77 for 40mm on Amazon

Sub a like

Bought the 37mm for £49 unisex for nephew as a tad smaller

Great watch - lovely box and opening experience

Quartz

Craftsman
    Hi,
    I would look at Seiko 5s and Swatch Sistem 51s. They both have many different colors and types. Citizen also has nice watches around that price.
    Happy birthday to the big man!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Appreciate the input. The Citizen Diver at 44mm would definitely fit the bill and I don't think he has anything with a rubber strap so something a little new on that front. The fat stubby hands will be good for his fading eyesight and the solar eco drive movement would be a benefit too, so I've ordered one now Timeshop4you an online retailer in Germany. Thanks one and all, Steve.

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

....a freebie that I got from Eddie years ago that has a Panerai/TW Steel Canteen style to it.
    So that will be one of these or it’s black dialled sibling, then...

Mine apparently now resides in Nepal!

Simon

Craftsman
    Appreciate the input. The Citizen Diver at 44mm would definitely fit the bill and I don't think he has anything with a rubber strap so something a little new on that front. The fat stubby hands will be good for his fading eyesight and the solar eco drive movement would be a benefit too, so I've ordered one now Timeshop4you an online retailer in Germany. Thanks one and all, Steve.

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app
    You might consider a diver from Orient. A lot of bang for the buck and an inhouse automatic. Congrats on your Dads 80th. My Dad turned 80 last year and he has an Invicta sub homage quartz that he wears all the time and he was over the moon when I bought him a new Bartons elite silicone strap to replace the worn out and awful bracelet that came on it.

Just wanted to finish of this post to say the Citizen Aqualand arrived on Monday from Germany. Really impressed with it from a quick inspection and the packaging is fun too.

Dad's 80th is a week today and now with the relaxation on social distancing I can hand this over to him in his garden too!

Again, thanks for the input.

20200611_120710 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/156536376@N05/]

20200611_120740 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/156536376@N05/]

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    So that will be one of these or it’s black dialled sibling, then...

Mine apparently now resides in Nepal!

Simon
    Yes, that's the one...he probably wears it more that anything else he has. I guess it's so legible and he likes a larger watch these days.