closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: One for the Sea Dweller Deep Sea owners - Fliplock extension...

Master

One for the Sea Dweller Deep Sea owners - Fliplock extension...

Just recently I've been watching YouTube reviews while "working from home". I've noticed that a few of the DSSD reviews have commented on removing the Fliplock extension to improve comfort & saying that it then "wears like a Sub".
    Have any owners carried out this alteration? What was the end result?
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Just recently I've been watching YouTube reviews while "working from home". I've noticed that a few of the DSSD reviews have commented on removing the Fliplock extension to improve comfort & saying that it then "wears like a Sub".
    Thanks,
    I did not do it on my SD or DS but that was because my wrist is large enough for the extension to just act like a link. I thing people with sub 7.5 inch wrists would fine it more comfortable with it removed.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I tried with and without and genuinely didn’t notice any difference on my wrist. I guess if you have the bracelet fully extended (so the extension piece is completely outside the clasp) then I could see how having a longer fixed link like that without any flex might be a bit uncomfortable. For me though, that part was always largely inside the clasp where it should be.

Master
    Took mine out, and does wear more comfortably, but in no way does it wear like a Sub - maybe a Sub on steroids

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Took mine out, and does wear more comfortably, but in no way does it wear like a Sub - maybe a Sub on steroids
    I did wonder if there was a bit of exaggeration there! I've got a 7.75 inch wrist so all should be fine.

I took mine out and did indeed find it more comfortable; not massively so but enough to make it worth doing. I also find it more comfortable to have the bracelet on the tighter side than usual - but that's probably me as I have pretty flat wrists

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    First thing I do is take off the divers extension on the new sea dwellers.
    It does make them much more comfortable, for me.
    If you're taking out at home you need to make sure that the same screws go back into the same spot as the one that will rejoin the clasp is shorter iirc.

Yep me too , does make a difference

Master
    Removed the diver's link on my 126660 and found it much more comfortable.
    Can't comment on the sub similarity as I haven't owned one for many years.
    Btw thanks for that heads up from verv, wasn't aware of that fact.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks for the replies.

As I don’t actually own the bracelet for my 116660, I couldn’t possibly comment

Simon

Thanks,
    I took off the divers extension on my SD43 (I don’t have it anymore), it made it fit more comfortably, but it never wore like a sub... I ended up eventually selling the SD43 as I realised I can’t pull off watches bigger than 40mm with my skinny wrist.

Journeyman
    SD43 with 7.5 inch wrist. I had the watch sized at RSC kept the ext link as it’s part of the watch fits perfect. Guy at RSC said too many people just remove it as they have not sized the watch to wrist correctly.

4 links at 6 5 and 1/2 links plus exit at 12 super balance and glide lock works beautifully as and when required.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonos View Post
    SD43 with 7.5 inch wrist. I had the watch sized at RSC kept the ext link as it’s part of the watch fits perfect. Guy at RSC said too many people just remove it as they have not sized the watch to wrist correctly.

4 links at 6 5 and 1/2 links plus exit at 12 super balance and glide lock works beautifully as and when required.
    I think the guy at RSC is missing the point, or taking the company position. Sizing a deep sea or any seadweller is dead easy with the glidelock bracelets. However for some people it is more comfortable by removing that divers extension and putting two links back in as they are more flexible than a single piece of metal the same length

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I think the guy at RSC is missing the point, or taking the company position. Sizing a deep sea or any seadweller is dead easy with the glidelock bracelets. However for some people it is more comfortable by removing that divers extension and putting two links back in as they are more flexible than a single piece of metal the same length
    100% agree. I've a fair idea on how to size bracelets and there's no question my SD was more comfortable with the extension removed.

I'm picking up an SD43 when the shops open again in two weeks. The diver's link will be removed when it's sized at the shop.

Journeyman
    I think the comfort factor is mainly to do with wrist size. 7.5-7.8 inch here.

It’s a big watch and you need a big wrist to carry it without it looking a bit silly and oversized.

When I had mine sized at RSC we tried three ways and moved links six to twelve and back again until we hit the spot with ext installed. Watch sits perfect on my wrist bracelet clasp is slightly towards six o’clock. Each to their own but do experiment it’s a fantastic piece and worth getting it fit correctly.

My other watch is an ExP II 42mm. Subs, GMTs Daytona’s just look like toys on my wrist. I tried on a ceramic Daytona last year and was disappointingly underwhelmed when it was sat on my wrist.

Looking forward to the new Explorer next year hoping it stays at 42mm

Master
    If you have removed the extension, are you adding links in its place?

I removed the extension on my 126600 and added an extra link to the bracelet, gives me all the adjustment I need now and wears comfortably.

If you have removed the extension, are you adding links in its place?
    Depends on your wrist size - I didn’t add any links back in as I only have a 6.75” wrist.... but ended up selling the watch a few months later as it was too big for me...

Journeyman
    I think the comfort factor is mainly to do with wrist size. 7.5-7.8 inch here.

It’s a big watch and you need a big wrist to carry it without it looking a bit silly and oversized.

When I had mine sized at RSC we tried three ways and moved links six to twelve and back again until we hit the spot with ext installed. Watch sits perfect on my wrist bracelet clasp is slightly towards six o’clock. Each to their own but do experiment it’s a fantastic piece and worth getting it fit correctly.

My other watch is an ExP II 42mm. Subs, GMTs Daytona’s just look like toys on my wrist. I tried on a ceramic Daytona last year and was disappointingly underwhelmed when it was sat on my wrist.

Looking forward to the new Explorer next year hoping it stays at 42mm
    I'm currently in the position to start looking at getting my first Rolex and have always wanted a sub but worried it will look stupid on me as I have a large wrist at just over 8". How does the Exp II compare to the sub on the wrist I was under the impression with the explores design that the sub isn't much different on the wrist ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1988 View Post
    I'm currently in the position to start looking at getting my first Rolex and have always wanted a sub but worried it will look stupid on me as I have a large wrist at just over 8". How does the Exp II compare to the sub on the wrist I was under the impression with the explores design that the sub isn't much different on the wrist ?
    Explorer II is much bigger than the SubC on the wrist to me, especially the white dial. It’s thinner though, so for me personally the two were equally comfortable. But I ended up selling the exp II as it was just a tad too big on my wrist.

PS - I like the Exp II case with the slimmer lugs though...

I've never found a need to remove the extension as it's comfortable as is on my SD43. The glidelock makes micro adjustments as your wrist expands/contracts so easy it's the way all metal bracelets should be.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1988 View Post
    Get the SD43 ! Thank me later

Explorer II is thinner on the wrist but a similar size super comfortable. 42mm v 43mm on SD43.

The SD43 has not left my wrist in three months apart from odd days where I try the ExpII. It is just such a superb timepiece.

EXP II wears much bigger than a sub. All 40mm Rolex look small on my wrist.

Journeyman
    Get the SD43 ! Thank me later

Explorer II is thinner on the wrist but a similar size super comfortable. 42mm v 43mm on SD43.

The SD43 has not left my wrist in three months apart from odd days where I try the ExpII. It is just such a superb timepiece.

EXP II wears much bigger than a sub. All 40mm Rolex look small on my wrist.
    I think the SD43 is going to be the 1 for me I'm going to contact my dealer today