closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBQ Bonanza - recipes

BBQ Bonanza - recipes

Following the BGE thread, it maybe an idea to post what we have BBQ'd and the rubs/sauces we have used.

So here is my first one for the seasons and maybe a format we use:

Type: Short ribs (circa 1.5- 2.0 inch thick)
    BBQ make: Kamano big Joe
    Prep time: 1 hour
    Spices: Meat Co Lab: Dirty Cow...https://angusandoink.com/collections...w-beef-bbq-rub
    Sauce: used Chipotle sauce (what a kick)
    Cook time: 8 hours (got to internal temp of 203
    Warped in foil when we got to an internal temp of 165 after circa 6 hrs
    Rest time: 2 hours (circa 170)

I am doing these again:

BTW, not plugging any ones product, just what used today.
    Last edited by Cavham; 28th May 2020 at 21:13.

I will let the pics do the talking. Show us what you have done!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Bank holiday lunch courtesy of Weber kettle...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not home until Tuesday. So I'm planning to give some ribs ago, on the Joe on Wednesday. I've found this that I like the sound of.

https://youtu.be/q9TuWHRN1oI

For the rub I'm going to try the Memphis dust Mj2k mentioned on the egg thread.

I've also ordered ikamand. So hopefully I'll use this to try it out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I love to hear how they went and how the ikmand performed. I am on the fence if you really need one

Tandoori chicken drumsticks and wings made on small kettle the other night.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    I'm not home until Tuesday. So I'm planning to give some ribs ago, on the Joe on Wednesday. I've found this that I like the sound of.

https://youtu.be/q9TuWHRN1oI

For the rub I'm going to try the Memphis dust Mj2k mentioned on the egg thread.

I've also ordered ikamand. So hopefully I'll use this to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    I love to hear how they went and how the ikmand performed. I am on the fence if you really need one

I turned my Dancook kettle into a smoker and built my own smoker controller with a 12v pid and fan quite easy, it doesn’t give you the WiFi/app experience but otherwise very similar operations according to the reviews of the ikamand ‘saw-tootling’ temps.

Looks like some enterprising Chinese have started selling them pre-made.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/25222610985...RoCH_IQAvD_BwE

Though if I had a bge type smoker I’d be giving fireboard offering serious consideration
    https://www.fireboard-eu.com/?gclid=...xoCYAMQAvD_BwE

Did some brisket on the egg the other night. Probably my biggest success so far, was proper good.

And using the format above

Type: Brisket
    BBQ make: BGE
    Prep time: Marinated overnight
    Spices: Bad Byrons Butt Rubb
    Sauce:
    Cook time: 7 1/2 hours (got to internal temp of 203)
    Warped in foil when we got to an internal temp of 170 after 6 hours. Added a mix of apple juice and brown sugar in the foil and double wrapped it before it went back on the egg for about 90 mins
    Rest time: 1 hour

Malc

Master
    Type: Beef short ribs (c.550g per rib)
    Prep: Dry brined overnight, then seasoned with salt and pepper
    BBQ: Pit Barrel Cooker
    Time: 3.5 hours at about 275 (no wrapping), pulled at 204
    Rest: 30-60mins

Put on the 10lb pork shoulder this morning and think it is going to be a 10/12 hour cook. Used Boston Butt Rub this time, so looking forward to the taste this evening after my Kettlebell Swings

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post

I used the Ikamand for the first time a couple of days ago. It worked great. I lit the charcoal and basically closed the lid and set it to 240. It worked perfectly and held it steady for the whole time. It also detects when the lid was open and stops the fan. Would be great for your shoulder today

Got a few things to post but I'll have to go back through my photos to find them. Got 3 smokers and have been at it for about 3-4 years.

Type: Beef short ribs and St Luis Cut Spare Ribs (supplied by Turner and George)

Prep:

Short Ribs Rubbed with mustard Oakridge black ops brisket rub.

St Luis ribs rubbed with mustard and Firefly Memphis Pig Rub

BBQ: Yoder YS640 running initial mix of BBQ'ers delight cherry then Lil Devils for remainder of cook.

Time:

Short rib 8 hours at about 265 not wrapped.

St Luis 3 hours at 265, foil wrapped with butter and chocolate sherry for 1.5 hours then removed to rest whilst the short ribs continued cooking. Then glazed with Blues Hog and put back on to set for 30 mins or so.

Rest: short ribs foiled and placed in a towel lined cooler for an hour.

This was the first time I've let the short ribs go naked. Bark was great but I'd foil wrap next time and add some Bovril to help them along.

The st Luis ribs were perfect. Just the right bite and flavour.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Those look amazing!

Oooh, these look good

Ordered a smoker BBQ last night, getting excited. What to do first?

Type: Rib of beef circa 1.8kg from Teebay Services Farm Shop (southbound M6)

BBQ make: Weber kettle with lumpwood and a smoker tube with Hickory pellets.

Prep time: Salted and Dry aged in fridge for a couple of days after defrosting. Left on counter to come up to temp for an hour before cooking.

Spices: Salt and Pepper plus a dusting of Montreal Steak by Angus and Oink - fantastic flavours highly recommend.

Sauce: Negative

Cook time: 90'ish mins. Seared first on all sides then removed half the charcoal to drop temp down to 120°c and slowly bring meat up to 50°c internal. It was a large cut and took a good hour or so to get there.

Rest time: 15 mins under rented foil.

Usually this cut would be oven cooked, similar to a roast but I figured what the hell it's near enough a tomahawk. I've always followed the reverse sear method for doing steaks but I'll be doing this method from now on. It produces a much better crust and flavour. Downside is adding smoke doesn't permeate the surface so you don't get the classic smoke ring. Flavour was still there.

That looks amazing. I’m now starving

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

oh my god, that looks great

My Pork shoulder from the weekend with nothing more than Boston Butt Rub and 12 hours on the Jow

that beef and pork both look amazing

Last weekend i tried to smoke a shoulder of lamb so that it pulls apart but messed up with the temperature. was way too high at 180°C and just wouldn’t come down. made the rookie mistake of lighting all the briquettes at once.

Any advice on how to use a BBQ properly? I've had a Weber for years and never made it further than burning sausages on it a few times every summer. A couple of weeks ago I decided I may as well try to learn and have made it as far as putting charcoal on just one side, basting some of the stuff in olive oil and using the lid to cook once the outsides are brownded off but that's about as far as I've gone. Are there any decent books around, or websites anyone can point me to please?
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Any advice on how to use a BBQ properly? I've had a Weber for years and never made it further than burning sausages on it a few times every summer. A couple of weeks ago I decided I may as well try to learn and have made it as far as putting charcoal on just one side, basting some of the stuff in olive oil and using the lid to cook once the outsides are brownded off but that's about as far as I've gone. Are there any decent books around, or websites anyone can point me to please?
    Youtube is your best bet, plenty of good stuff on there

Meathead is a great read, if a little pricey but it goes over the science which really helped to get my head around the cooking ideas.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/05440184..._zN03EbG232VZN

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Youtube is your best bet, plenty of good stuff on there
    Can highly recommend T Roy cooks channel on YouTube. It's what got me started down the path!

https://www.youtube.com/user/spacecowboytx

Thanks both of you, something to start with!
    "A man of little significance"

Thanks both of you, something to start with!
    Just one more for your list - Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/16077472..._0V13EbBC64435

The Tony Stark of BBQ.

Anyone got any good rub recipes?

Seen a couple on the BGE thread i want to try, Pit Cue house rub and Memphis dust

Interesting link on the Memphis dust recipe site, discussing whether rub should contain salt or not. Leave salt out and pre salting the meat allows you to use an amount of salt suitable for the weight of the meat (salt penetrates), then use a saltless rub as rub doesn't penetrate . So a pork shoulder and a rack of ribs with the same surface area but different weights of meat, you can use less salt on the ribs, but use the same amount of rub on both as they have the same surface area. Anyone got thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Anyone got any good rub recipes?

Seen a couple on the BGE thread i want to try, Pit Cue house rub and Memphis dust

Interesting link on the Memphis dust recipe site, discussing whether rub should contain salt or not. Leave salt out and pre salting the meat allows you to use an amount of salt suitable for the weight of the meat (salt penetrates), then use a saltless rub as rub doesn't penetrate . So a pork shoulder and a rack of ribs with the same surface area but different weights of meat, you can use less salt on the ribs, but use the same amount of rub on both as they have the same surface area. Anyone got thoughts on that?
    Made a few using Meathead and Pitque recipes but they always tended to be a bit, well, underwhelming. The commercial rubs somehow just add that extra touch and I've struggled to recreate it. Since discovering the Angus and Oink range the bar has been set pretty high.

Salt. As a rule I never add it to pork cuts and avoid rubs containing it. If the product does contain salt and I've absolutely got to use it, I dust no more than 30 mins in advance and don't add too much just in case. Inadvertently made bacon ribs by adding a salty rub the night before a cook. Not making that mistake again.

Beef and chicken are more hardy and respond well to being salted well in advance. Brined a couple of whole chickens for 24hours but that's a different approach.

I've got an idea for Korean style ribs that involves rubbing with a Korean spice blend. Smoking as usual. Then as a last stage, at the point the sauce would be added, cutting into individual ribs and stir frying with salt, pepper and chilli. Finally adding a thin glaze of a fruit based sauce to finish.

Master
    Try playing with Memphis dust with decent paprika, a cheeky bit of chilli powder & cayenne. The odd bit of star anise adds to meatiness.

I still use the original dust, before the brining stage as just simpler. Always use the Lexington sauce once pulled, sometimes mix with some apple juice, water, vinegar braise for variation. Taught to me by a jack Daniels invitational winner.

Master
    Search YouTube for ‘Weber snake method’ and see where in the deepest darkest depths of YouTube you end up from there. You’re mainly seeking to learn temperature control, which is (generally speaking) easier on the expensive stuff and more difficult on the cheap stuff.

If you can get your BBQ to run consistently in the window of 230-270, then start with something forgiving such as Boston Butt / pork shoulder.

The Weber kettle is so incredibly popular, that if you search YouTube for ‘Weber <insert meat of choice>‘, then you’ll be presented with more relevant videos than you’ll know what to with. Watch the temperature control videos first though as that’s a core skill.

Master
    Type: Brisket point burned ends (grrr, didn’t weigh it... but 1.6kg prior to removing a fair amount of fat)

Prep: salt, pepper, garlic powder

BBQ: Pit Barrel Cooker

Time: around 6 hours at about 250 (no wrapping), pulled at 206 and chopped, BBQ sauce and dark brown sugar added, back on the grill for about 30mins

Rest: Nope

Some pieces were awesomely perfect, but some were a little chewy. Maybe should have taken up to 210. Either way, it needed a little longer for everything to be just right...

Mid cook:

Leftovers:

They look great. Bet they didn't hang around long!

Another attempt at short ribs today. Really happy with the results. Also chucked a rack of St Louis Ribs on again. But used a different rub this time.

Type: Beef short ribs and St Louis Cut Spare Ribs (supplied by Turner and George)

Prep:

Short Ribs Rubbed with Firefly Texas Lone Star. Not used it before, found it lingering at the back of the cupboard and thought it'll be worth a shot. Very, very peppery!

St Luis ribs rubbed with Cowtown the Squeel! This has a right kick and contained salt, made sure I dusted the rack just before it went on. Great flavours and It could be used on chicken.

Also note I didn't bother with a binder. They were still wet from the vac packing.

BBQ: DIY MADS (mildly attractive drum smoker). Made this about 2 years ago and added a Weber lid, hinge kit and castors. Mate in the states sent over the Tel Tru Temp Gauge.

Wood: Chunk of cherry and a slither of aok whiskey barrel. Tend to find you don't need much in the drum smoker setup.

Time:

Short rib 8 hours at 280°F but this time I kept checking periodically after they hit 195°F internal, by proving with a skewer. Finally hit that knife through butter moment at 198°F. Took 'em off and wrapped in foil, then a towel and placed in a cooler to rest whilst the Pork Ribs finished off.

St Louis 2.45 hours at 280, foil wrapped and left on the counter for a couple of hours. Didn't bother with any butter or liquid. Then back on the smoker for 1.5 hours. Opened the foil up and let the bark set then added Kosmo Q Pineapple Glaze. Let that set for a further 20 mins then removed and let rest on a chopping board to serve with the short ribs.

Both racks turned out perfect. If anything I would use less seasoning next time.

And yes I did cut the grass later on!

That meat looks perfect! Appreciate the comprehensive write up. Just looked at Turner and George might give them shot.

Checkout John Davidson's as well. Few folk on a BBQ forum I'm on have been using them and the meat looks top notch. I'm putting an order in on Monday morning for a brisket and some other bits.

https://www.johndavidsons.com/

Great, I'll check them out. Which forum do you use?

https://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/

Small community of UK based BBQ'ers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    Checkout John Davidson's as well. Few folk on a BBQ forum I'm on have been using them and the meat looks top notch. I'm putting an order in on Monday morning for a brisket and some other bits.

https://www.johndavidsons.com/

Thanks for this. Lots of grain fed brisket options that are bigger but not huge so wallet and family friendly. I will give them a try as all my briskets to date have been grass fed and I want to test the difference.

My last brisket was from myorganicbeef.com (I am London based so got free delivery). Only 1.5kg but very tasty (Dexter breed cattle) and fine for a family sized meal.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Thanks for this. Lots of grain fed brisket options that are bigger but not huge so wallet and family friendly. I will give them a try as all my briskets to date have been grass fed and I want to test the difference.

My last brisket was from myorganicbeef.com (I am London based so got free delivery). Only 1.5kg but very tasty (Dexter breed cattle) and fine for a family sized meal.

Grain fed is in a whole different league. Only ever cooked Grain fed on one occasion but the difference was night and day. It was a few years ago though, the brand was Aberdeen Black Angus X and it was sourced from Tom Hixson but it was pricey even back then. Probably well over £100 now for the same cut. So those options from John Davidson are well worth a punt.

Craftsman
    Grain fed is in a whole different league. Only ever cooked Grain fed on one occasion but the difference was night and day. It was a few years ago though, the brand was Aberdeen Black Angus X and it was sourced from Tom Hixson but it was pricey even back then. Probably well over £100 now for the same cut. So those options from John Davidson are well worth a punt.

Looking at either of these as a first try on grain-fed without busting the bank. The second one comes without the point end.

https://www.johndavidsons.com/pitmas...-creek-brisket

https://www.johndavidsons.com/pitmas...a-flat-brisket

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Looking at either of these as a first try on grain-fed without busting the bank. The second one comes without the point end.

https://www.johndavidsons.com/pitmas...-creek-brisket

https://www.johndavidsons.com/pitmas...a-flat-brisket

Can't go wrong with either but the point end is where the actions at! How are planning on cooking?

Got a 6.5kg Australian Oakey Reserve arriving tomorrow hopefully. Along with a selection of sausages and burgers.

I forgot to add my last few cooks, but Brisket is next on the list.

Last week I used my new toy, the rotisserie, best chicken I have ever had, so moist as my Nan used to say

The rub was special, I got it from one of the chaps at work and it I knocked it out the park.

The rub was

• 1/3 cup*olive oil
    • 2*TB light brown sugar
    • 1*heaping TB dried thyme
    • 2 tsp*ground allspice
    • 2 tsp*smoked paprika
    • 1 tsp*cinnamon
    • 1 tsp*ground ginger
    • 1 tsp*ground cloves
    • 1 tsp*cayenne pepper
    • 2 tsp* salt
    • 1/4 tsp*freshly ground black pepper

Master
    How does the lid fit back down on these after the rotisserie is fitted?

Would have thought you needed indirect also?

You need to make sure it is pulled to the front of the rim and then it naturally sits and has very little heat leakage.

I did read some experience a lot if read heat leakage, but that was due to it being pushed to far back.

No problem controlling the temp and i read push coals to the back and not to and as the chicken is self basing no flare ups or burnt skin. Best accessory I have every bought for a BBQ. Beef and Pork next on the rotisserie.

Master
    Excellent, thank you. Always been tempted with one but already got one for the gas Weber. Hadn’t realised temp control was still good.

Thinking of getting the rotisserie for the Weber kettle. Does none have any experience of that? Seems to get very good reviews but is pricey at 200 quid.

Craftsman
    Can't go wrong with either but the point end is where the actions at! How are planning on cooking?

Got a 6.5kg Australian Oakey Reserve arriving tomorrow hopefully. Along with a selection of sausages and burgers.

Yes, but just concerned with excessive trimming and of course my waistline.

I normally do a full day (or night) smoke on the kamado. Smoke to 160f then crutch to 203f. I dont normally use smoking wood as my wife doesn't like it too heavy on the smoke.

I have a 3kg Turner and George on the bone brisket (grass) I plan to do at the weekend.

I'll get a larger grain fed to do once social gatherings can grow larger and I have more mouths to feed.

Btw your previous brisket looked sublime. Let us know how the Australian Oakey reserve turns out please.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    Thinking of getting the rotisserie for the Weber kettle. Does none have any experience of that? Seems to get very good reviews but is pricey at 200 quid.
    Yep- can’t remember being that much though? It works well and chicken is always superb. Use it throughout summer for Sunday roasts. Also have one for the gas Weber but it isn’t as easy to use as less clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Yep- can’t remember being that much though? It works well and chicken is always superb. Use it throughout summer for Sunday roasts. Also have one for the gas Weber but it isn’t as easy to use as less clearance.
    thanks for replying. it's about £170-180 unfortunately. Still I might just bite the bullet and get one now that you've also confirmed it's worth having

edit: just checked and it's now gone up to £250!!

https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/categories/...erie/7495~7495
    Last edited by Casper; 18th June 2020 at 16:50. Reason: price increase!

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    thanks for replying. it's about £170-180 unfortunately. Still I might just bite the bullet and get one now that you've also confirmed it's worth having

edit: just checked and it's now gone up to £250!!

https://www.wowbbq.co.uk/categories/...erie/7495~7495
    I have one on my Weber, I’m sure I paid under £100 a few years ago. It’s great, stick a couple of chickens on and done I’m 75-90 mins (check temp) I also like the fact that when not using it I leave the ring on and it gives a deeper bbq so you can do a couple of beer can chickens without them hitting the lid (need an extra couple of briquettes as it’s a bigger space to heat)

There are some cheaper options on amazon or there was a place in the west called “planet bbq”? That did one I think.

Here you go £100, it’ll do the job.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SunshineBBQ...s%2C162&sr=8-9
    Last edited by justin44; 18th June 2020 at 19:07.