closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home Appliance insurance

Master

Home Appliance insurance

Morning all,

I have a couple of breakdown policies with Domestic & General covering our oven, washer etc.
    The annual premium rises every year, now to the point they are getting exorbitant.

Does anybody have similar cover with another provider at a reasonable rate?

Any recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks

Master
    I never bother, white goods are disposable items nowadays, I'd bet if you saved the premiums you'd easily cover the cost of replacements, with money left over

Craftsman
    I have not insured any domestic appliances for the last 50 years and all appliances have worn out before breaking down. If modern appliances are going to go wrong they seem to suffer from infant mortality and if they don,t break down during the guarantee period they seem to keep going. I may have been lucky but must have saved the cost of replacement many times over by not having insurance.

Likewise, I never do extended warranties, must have saved hundreds.
    I always think over time on these warranties the cost of an odd repair is more than covered over the savings to be had.

Same as everyone other posters. I do conduct a fair bit of research via Which? for best manufacturers and models when buying somethig new. I always try and buy a Best Buy, have quite a lot of Miele and Bosch over the years.

I think if you buy a decent quality then it will good amount of time, also the German companies have to carry parts for a large number of years by law so that helps for repairs.

Any insurance over home, car and travel is not worth it in my view. I'd rather save the money and put to better use for a "rainy day" fund.
    Plus some of those extended warranties can be eye watering amounts.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don’t bother with this insurance,items are disposable really.

Another 'no' from me - not worth the effort.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    No from me, must have saved a fortune over the years, biggest rip off going.

Blog Entries
    Just to offer another view got Neff built in dishwasher,double oven,fridge freezer and stand alone Aeg washing machine all with British Gas for £17.00 pm = £204pa inclusive of call out, repairs or replacement
    Don’t bother to cover dryer or neff gas hob as easily replaced or fridge freezer in the garage but do not need the hassle of replacing built in goods.
    Agree do the math and make your decision.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master
    I also don’t insure these things, and just suck it up when and if it happens.

Unfortunately that was just a couple of weeks ago with a Smeg fridge freezer that cost me £1300 six years ago that packed up. A local guy I called tried regassing which didn’t work, and also noted that when he took the back off, it had the main parts made by Beko! Not impressed and expected much better from a make like Smeg.

Replaced with a model less than half the price now when the expectation that it will not last as long as I expected the old one to

Master
    Thanks for your advice gents.

I've always considered these sort of insurance schemes a waste of money and only took it out a couple of years ago following a rather expensive repair on our Siemens oven that was out of warranty.

Now I'd rather save the money towards a replacment, so you've all re-inforced my decision to cancel the insurance and not bother finding a replacement provider.

Cheers.

Master
    Insurance is only really useful when it comes to catastrophes, otherwise it's a waste of money.