closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who are the best / worst YouTube watch reviewers?

Jody from Just One More Watch is my favourite in terms of the person I like to watch most. He’s honest and objective, humorous and self deprecating, Obviously very intelligent and very likeable. Only drawback is his niche is the rock bottom budget end so he reviews an awful lot of naff Chinese watches.

I don’t actually mind TGV, the production quality of his shows is really good.

ID guy could bore the paint off walls. Archie is unwatchable for me, parody or not he’s just a crass numpty.

I can’t watch ‘Timepiece’ Tim any longer. Marketing speak drives me nuts.

There’s Archie ... and there’s the rest.

AC3 FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    watch producer Michael just for the wtf and entertainment factor.
    something's up with that guy for sure

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    watch producer Michael just for the wtf and entertainment factor.
    Sorry I missed that earlier Verv, I just watched the 'Buys Adam a watch' vid and the Embraer video from one month ago, now I'm guessing there is a lot of finance involved here after all I dont think Lewis Hamilton put down actual cash in the Isle of Man, but if he is telling porkies he is having a great time doing it and good luck to him.. and Adam got a very nice Panerai to boot lol...

Gadget

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    Always take the youtube reviews with a pinch of salt. There are generally three types of reviewer, the ones that are selling the watch, those that have been given the watch free to review, and those that have been paid to review. I enjoy watchbox and watchfinder videos for giving good all round views and wrist shots, but they will never actually say anything bad about a watch, even if it is a diamond encrusted Jacob & Co.
    This is spot on!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The guy on justbluefish is very knowledgeable and informative, if a little dry.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    There’s Archie ... and there’s the rest.

AC3 FTW.

Jenni Elle. New, still learning, relaxed and seems pretty open and honest.

I find some of the more established channels a bit boring and/or irritating. Paul Pluta makes my head hurt. A lot.

I forgot to mention Roman Sharf of Luxury Bazaar. Tends to be US centric but always intresting and informative content. I found him via Producer Michael. I've stopped watching Michael sincd but I still watch anything new from Roman.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Surprised there's not more love for the Timeless Watch Channel...
    I watch Timeless Watch Channel.
    It’s a little different to most of the other reviewers with some beautiful Italian scenery thrown in.
    It is almost totally focused on Rolex, but still worth a watch.
    I read recently that the presenter used to be a bass player in a Rock Band.
    Does anybody know what band that was.?

Master
    Timeless Watch Channel,
    Roman Sharf
    Bark and Jack
    Tim Mosso Watchbox
    Teddy Baldassare
    Bruce Williams
    ID Guy
    Federico (occasionally)

I also listen to Scottish Watches podcast- quite amusing at times

Quote Originally Posted by Dakuan View Post
    Paul Thorpe raging against the youtube algorithm haha. Also did you know he used to be a watch dealer?
    I like the guy but I do find his videos a little tedious. I feel like he says the same thing over and over again?

Quote Originally Posted by JPE View Post
    I stopped watching Archie after I realised he must clearly have mental health issues

Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    I stopped watching Archie after I realised he must clearly have mental health issues
    I stopped watching him for actual watch content years ago but the same old boring drama nonsense wears thin very quickly. I finally unsubscribed from him and his related channels entirely when he crossed a line by pimping real fur products. Shameful.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    It’s a little different to most of the other reviewers with some beautiful Italian scenery thrown in.
    The band was Mr North.

- - - Updated - - -

The band was Mr North.

I believe it was Mrnorth

Master
    Largely given up out of boredom. Instead I pass the lockdown watching guys on YouTube going camping in pouring rain. They clearly love it. Debates about the merits of various motorcycles are also fun. And I don’t own either a bike or tent....
    Out of the watch-theme youtubers, I probably prefer Tim Mosso. Especially the new unkempt, hairy , version. Someone buy him a pair of clippers.

My favourites:
    - Urban Gentry (in depth reviews, speaks from hands on experience)
    - Jenni Elle
    - Bark & Jack
    - David Khalil (down to earth dealer's perspective)
    - Frederico

Shit list:
    - Paul Pluta (waste of time listening to this guy)
    - Teddy Baldassarre (doesn't speak from hands on experience in his recommendation vids)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianM View Post
    I believe it was Mrnorth

Never heard of em

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzyb123 View Post
    Hahaha. This makes we watch him more. Pure car crash!

Journeyman
    Interesting https://youtu.be/MWNJdDJDN2A

Journeyman
    I've no new ones to suggest. My favourite is maybe Bark and Jack but he doesn't get enough access to watches, so he ends up doing too many videos about his channel - it all gets a bit navel gazey.

For underrated channels I agree with those suggesting Hafiz J Mehmood. He shoots really well, but doesn't seem to have too many subs.

On this subject, I watched the Hodinkee Friday Live today on Instagram and their vintage watch guy shouted out Mike Wood (who I believe posts on here?) as his GOAT collector! Did a double take when I heard him mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Jodi of Just One More Watch.
    +1 for Jodi. Great delivery and I find him quite entertaining.
    I also enjoy Adrian from Bark & Jack, and Watchfinder.

One thing I’ve learned from this thread is that there are way more Watch reviewers on YT than I imagined... good to know, means there’s something for everyone out there.

Craftsman
    Poor bloke, sounds burnt out
    And a response from a honest yet reckless YouTuber.
    https://youtu.be/UcoxyNCl01k

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I prefer Archie to TGV. Archie is insane, disgusting and hilarious. And I think there is some degree of insight, and self-parody.

TGV is pretentious and embarrassing. I always think of him as a 10 year old boy's fantasy of what they will be like when they grow up. He's like something out of Anchorman.

Journeyman

Who are the best / worst YouTube watch reviewers?

Poor bloke, sounds burnt out
    Yes. Wish him well. I know others have their opinions but his enthusiasm for all types of watches got me started on this never ending (expensive) journey.

Journeyman

Who are the best / worst YouTube watch reviewers?

I prefer Archie to TGV. Archie is insane, disgusting and hilarious. And I think there is some degree of insight, and self-parody.

TGV is pretentious and embarrassing. I always think of him as a 10 year old boy's fantasy of what they will be like when they grow up. He's like something out of Anchorman.
    Didnt take the Pontiff long. He cracks me up

Last edited by Goochie81; 30th May 2020 at 19:34.

Apprentice
    Can’t understand the TGV hating. As some one who has only recently got into watches he has been the one who most inspired me to get into this fascinating hobby. I find him passionate, insightful and an all round decent guy. I think his deep love for watches comes through more than most in my opinion

He’s a slimy shill who regularly stole content and passed it off as his own. The faux enthusiasm was nauseating. Archie, while clearly a comedy act, is more knowledgable, and indeed sincere.

Apprentice
    Not sure what content he has ‘stolen’ to be honest. But I really don’t think Archie is an comedy act at all. That’s just him. A complete arse that talks rubbish and filth

The folks at fratello had articles used verbatim. anOrdain had content stolen, monochrome watches, I could go on, but it’s all out there for googling. Some of his Gentry don’t like hearing it, but his “original” content has more red flags than the Kremlin.

Oh and Archie is most definitely a character. In many senses of the word.

Didn't someone take legal action or threaten to taken legal action against TGV last year for stealing content and he **** the bed ?

Anyway he seems to be pulling the plug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWNJdDJDN2A&t=5s
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 30th May 2020 at 17:26.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Starzi View Post
    Not sure what content he has ‘stolen’ to be honest. But I really don’t think Archie is an comedy act at all. That’s just him. A complete arse that talks rubbish and filth
    His interview with Ted Baldessiere (?) puts him in a more sympathetic and reasonable light.

I think the truth lies somewhere in between him being an arse and being an act.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Didn't someone take legal action or threaten to taken legal action against TGV last year for stealing content and he **** the bed ?

Anyway he seems to be pulling the plug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWNJdDJDN2A&t=5s

I believe he took some images from the Anordain website without giving them the correct acknowledgement.
    There’ve been some other examples of that as well.

Craftsman
    I don't know how anyone can look at that image thumbnail posted above, on his latest video, of him looking pensively out the window in his black turtleneck (taken by his mrs by the way), and not see him for what he is really.

Archie is a vile sad excuse for a human being. Just seen 3 minutes of his video on TGV laughing at someone losing their job wishing the virus got him..... pathetic.... sick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After all these years of Archie, it never ceases to amaze me how many people still don’t get the joke.

I don't know how anyone can look at that image thumbnail posted above, on his latest video, of him looking pensively out the window in his black turtleneck (taken by his mrs by the way), and not see him for what he is really.
    Maybe like me he is waiting for a tesco delivery.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Archie is a vile sad excuse for a human being. Just seen 3 minutes of his video on TGV laughing at someone losing their job wishing the virus got him..... pathetic.... sick!

Yeah, that's kind of the point...

Tgv isn’t going anywhere. It’s just another cry for attention to get more media traffic going his way - so he can tell you what penknife is the best now. I don’t like the guy but got no axe to grind, however the video title is pure clickbait prob designed to create a rush of simpering “oh no Tristano pleases don’t leave us” comments - which judging by the comments seems to have worked

I just want to look at the watches in a way you can't with photos, I tend to know the spec of the watch I'm looking at.....so I watch Watchbox reviews with the sound off as I cannot stand Tim's voice/manner. Similarly I watch Watchfinder videos with the sound off, great close ups but I cannot stand what he says or the way he says it....I just have to put up with his hands. I cope well with Tick Tocking.....Paul Thorpe I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, Urban Gentry, probably a slightly shorter pole. I watched Archie Luxury for five seconds once.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Starzi View Post
    If you watched him say 10 years ago, he was completely different. He certainly had the market sussed and he came out with good advice. However he lost his job and he went downhill faster than a racing car without brakes. He is now a complete and utter **** pot.

Craftsman
    I don't get why people miss the trick with Archie.

I don't think it's performance art in the sense that he is completely different in real life.

But I do think he's entirely knowing and self-aware when it comes to his disgusting qualities, and he plays them up in his videos, and this is intended as entertainment and commentary on the world of "luxury" commodities.

You only have to watch his latest video, filmed topless from his bed, to see that the guy is "doing a bit".

Is he mental - yes! Is he a disgusting gluttonous avaricious pervert - yes! Is it deeply ironic that he is simultaneously a huge snob, and incredibly crass and low class - absolutely!

But he knows these things, he emphasises them and plays them up, and the whole purpose of his channel is to make himself the butt of his own joke.

Watchadvisor is superb as is TheWATCHES.tv. Watch Hobbyist isn't too bad. ; )

Jenni Elle gives me the creeps for some reason. Think it's all the fake gurning.

I had no idea about Producer Michael and fakes. I find him quite entertaining, usually.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Tgv isn’t going anywhere. It’s just another cry for attention to get more media traffic going his way - so he can tell you what penknife is the best now. I don’t like the guy but got no axe to grind, however the video title is pure clickbait prob designed to create a rush of simpering “oh no Tristano pleases don’t leave us” comments - which judging by the comments seems to have worked
    You are spot on!

One to add that I quite enjoy is the London Watch Collector.