closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who are the best / worst YouTube watch reviewers?

Apprentice
    I dont know how producer Michael manages it but he is flashy without being arrogant. He also treats his cameraman with such respect. Seems like a gent. Shame about his watch and dress sense

Sent from my SM-G975F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Watchadvisor is superb as is TheWATCHES.tv. Watch Hobbyist isn't too bad. ; )

Jenni Elle gives me the creeps for some reason. Think it's all the fake gurning.

I had no idea about Producer Michael and fakes. I find him quite entertaining, usually.
    I’m sure I read somewhere that Jenni Elle is the girlfriend or wife of a German watch youtube guy, and basically rehashes a lot of his content for the English speaking market as he doesn’t speak the lingo himself.

As for Archie, he’s clearly a parody of himself and of all his own most amusing/ironic personality traits - and I could handle any amount of profanity, crassness and slobbery, but for me the reason he’s so utterly insufferable is the way he has to repeat virtually everything - and I mean everything - he says a minimum of once. “The rodent, THE RODENT, has lost his job, the rodent had lost his job. That’s karma guys, that’s f*****g karma...” repeat (no pun) ad nauseam. Just make a bloody point mate!!!!! His vids would be 50-75% shorter if he only said his sentences once. Irritates me beyond belief 😂

Craftsman
    I really like Tim over at CaseBack watches, great stories and history of the pieces he is reviewing. Did a recent 2 part series of military watches and there current re-issues, a real great review.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    As for Archie, he’s clearly a parody of himself and of all his own most amusing/ironic personality traits - and I could handle any amount of profanity, crassness and slobbery, but for me the reason he’s so utterly insufferable is the way he has to repeat virtually everything - and I mean everything - he says a minimum of once. “The rodent, THE RODENT, has lost his job, the rodent had lost his job. That’s karma guys, that’s f*****g karma...” repeat (no pun) ad nauseam. Just make a bloody point mate!!!!! His vids would be 50-75% shorter if he only said his sentences once. Irritates me beyond belief 😂
    Exactly. So true I hate that too

Sent from my SM-G975F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Yeah, that's true.

There's also the flipping weird filler roll of like, him walking around the park, or eating a burger for no reason. Lol.

All part of the experience I reckon.

Speedmaster 101 is good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Apparently Paul Thorpe has decided that he will no longer be posting content as YouTube are not giving him a "fair crack of the whip", using algorithms to display other channels more prominently.
    I don't understand the science behind what he says & I know he divides opinion on here but I think it's always regrettable when a channel shuts down.

Craftsman
    Another strong vote for The Timeless Watch Channel. Oisín O'Malley does a superb job with his editing on that. Worth looking at videos of the band he was in on YouTube as well (Mr North), as they are pretty good ! This one for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZLtotC4wsE

Also enjoy Adrian on Bark & Jack, Jody on Just One More Watch, the production values of the Watchfinder videos, plus Nick Shabazz just cracks me up with his quirky self-deprecating style.

Archie is an acquired taste I guess ... I do get a fair few belly laughs from that, but a lot of it is of course quite repetitive and boring.

Find Tim Mosso very irritating myself, far worse than TGV :)
    Last edited by 459GMB; 2nd June 2020 at 21:05.

I have watched Jenni Elle. (SP.?) Be Interesting to hear what Haywood thinks of her how to spot a fake Rolex vid.
    I find I zoned out watching any You Tube content after about 5 mins.

I dont think Jennie is a watch expert but is enthusiastic and genuine and doesn't pretend to be anything else which is quite refreshing given the torrent of wannabe experts out there.
    ... and shes cute!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Another strong vote for The Timeless Watch Channel. Oisín O'Malley does a superb job with his editing on that. Worth looking at videos of the band he was in on YouTube as well (Mr North), as they are pretty good ! This one for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZLtotC4wsE

Also enjoy Adrian on Bark & Jack, Jody on Just One More Watch, the production values of the Watchfinder videos, plus Nick Shabazz just cracks me up with his quirky self-deprecating style.

Archie is an acquired taste I guess ... I do get a fair few belly laughs from that, but a lot of it is of course quite repetitive and boring.

Find Tim Mosso very irritating myself, far worse than TGV :)
    I really like the Timeless Watch Channel, so well crafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    Apparently Paul Thorpe has decided that he will no longer be posting content as YouTube are not giving him a "fair crack of the whip", using algorithms to display other channels more prominently.
    I don't understand the science behind what he says & I know he divides opinion on here but I think it's always regrettable when a channel shuts down.
    Paul Thorpe grabs his ball and stomps home
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4o8sWqRKaU

"Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

That's the one.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    I watch Timeless Watch Channel.
    It’s a little different to most of the other reviewers with some beautiful Italian scenery thrown in.
    It is almost totally focused on Rolex, but still worth a watch.
    I read recently that the presenter used to be a bass player in a Rock Band.
    Does anybody know what band that was.?
    Yep, love this content. Great production value considering how new the channel is. One of the best parts about his stuff is that unlike many of the others, the watches are more often than not shot outside in actual daylight and that really makes a difference as to how the materials look. His name is Oisin, Google and you'll see the band history etc. Cool guy.

Re Producer Michael comments, I think you need to assume there's some classic Hollywood BS in there for sake of showmanship. I don't think they've ever really represented that channel as a video diary of Michael's actual life, hence $50m house tours, visits to Rodeo jewellers etc Clearly he's successful and wealthy, clearly loves his cars and watches and chooses to spend and enjoy his money.
    The jet story seems blown out of proportion to me; he previously owned a Private Jet charter company from what I've seen, so my expectation is that it's a business asset on order. You've got to be Elon rich and or very dumb to buy a £20m depreciating asset for occasional personal use, neither of which I think PM is.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

And then Paul Pluta jumps up and down on his grave!

https://youtu.be/zBMSVuUzdYM

Apprentice

Paul thorpe terrible

Paul Thorpe videos say nothing in this one he says he has bought a brand new Rolex. where are the stickers and tag He would keep them on have a look for yourselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ5YCx61nuI

Craftsman
    Watchfinder is my favourite and I also find Paul Thorpe’s video good to watch too. I’ve only really started watching YouTube in the last couple of months, not sure why but there is so much content on there it’s crazy.

I'm a big of of Watchfinder's videos, some of Hodinkee's and Revolution's work, of late I've been watching reviews by a new YouTuber, Beans and Bezels. A bit of a fresh take where he objectively reviews every watch. Most YouTubers seem to think that every new micro brand's watches is the Holy Grail, but this chap's views are a bit more realistic.

I enjoy the Bark and Jack videos on youtube.

https://barkandjack.com

Craftsman
    I have to say that Hafiz J Mehmood’s vídeos are really good. I had seen one or two before I started this conversation, but following some of the other forum members’ advice, I’ve spent more time watching his Videos. They are super high quality. Take a look!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    What Watchfinder do particularly well is the storytelling element.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by aksd View Post
    I'm a big of of Watchfinder's videos, some of Hodinkee's and Revolution's work, of late I've been watching reviews by a new YouTuber, Beans and Bezels. A bit of a fresh take where he objectively reviews every watch. Most YouTubers seem to think that every new micro brand's watches is the Holy Grail, but this chap's views are a bit more realistic.
    I think there's probably a reason for that

I'm going to nominate myself as the worse - I've done about six review videos for another forum, but one of those was a review off my cat, Lola. I take little time offer them, and you can tell, but I enjoy making them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2Q...LhL1ERs4-SLwwA

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    I'm going to nominate myself as the worse - I've done about six review videos for another forum, but one of those was a review off my cat, Lola. I take little time offer them, and you can tell, but I enjoy making them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2Q...LhL1ERs4-SLwwA
    Really interesting review. Such attention to detail on the end links and a very nice bracelet then they go and let it down with the stupid clasp again. Two things Seiko can't do - pictures on their website and clasps.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchFanUK23 View Post
    I have to say that Hafiz J Mehmood’s vídeos are really good. I had seen one or two before I started this conversation, but following some of the other forum members’ advice, I’ve spent more time watching his Videos. They are super high quality. Take a look!

I started to watch him after he was recommended on here. What’s your views on his slamming of the Aquanaut!?

https://youtu.be/X5hbaLL2vSI

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    I started to watch him after he was recommended on here. What’s your views on his slamming of the Aquanaut!?

https://youtu.be/X5hbaLL2vSI

It seemed pretty fair - nothing new beyond what we already know. Especially with the lume and the bracelet (there is a reason why people prefer it on the rubber)

His videos are good - I really liked his video on the SBGH279. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO5EexPAQwU&t=413s

I find Jeffrey McMahon's musings about watch obsession and addiction quite entertaining

Master
    Best:
    Watchfinder
    Bark and Jack
    Some Hodinkee videos (any without Ben Clymer)
    Tim Mosso (my personal favourite) - concise and detailed

Worst:
    Producer Michael
    Goldberg
    Federico
    Archie

Either way too opinionated or they know absolutely f*** all.

Craftsman
    Would anyone regard Austin Daniels as a watch reviewer. I do like to hear his perspective on various watch topics especially as he's living in Japan

Craftsman
    Vintage pieces 'theo and Harris' is good... just a cool young guy who is really passionate and into anything in the vintage scene
    Such an easy watch (excuse the pun)

The only one I don't find boring nowadays is Just One More Watch. Recently found the Bark and Jack channel which I'm going to give a go

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Master
    Who's the Irish guy? He's got a certain something.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Thread resurrection time but is anyone watching pride and pinion?

The combination of humour, Dutch/Belfast accent and constant bashing of Hublot I find hilarious

He's found a bit of a niche and is working it well.

By all accounts the shop in Belfast is worth a visit too

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    The only one I don't find boring nowadays is Just One More Watch. Recently found the Bark and Jack channel which I'm going to give a go

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk
    Agree, Jody's videos are the only ones I look at for the most part. affordable pieces which I've never heard of in the main.

a lot of the rest of the videos have no interest to me. >£10k watches are fine, but I'm not the target market or ever likely to buy 1.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Thread resurrection time but is anyone watching pride and pinion?

The combination of humour, Dutch/Belfast accent and constant bashing of Hublot I find hilarious

He's found a bit of a niche and is working it well.

By all accounts the shop in Belfast is worth a visit too
    I think he’s a bellend who can’t talk, just my opinion obviously

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by farquare View Post
    Agree, Jody's videos are the only ones I look at for the most part. affordable pieces which I've never heard of in the main.

a lot of the rest of the videos have no interest to me. >£10k watches are fine, but I'm not the target market or ever likely to buy 1.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Yes I quite enjoy his videos, quite easy to watch and like a lot of his content and opinions.

Master
    I've recently come across Not so Obvious Watches, run by Aussie Pete McConville. By training he's an aircraft engineer with the RAAF & he is not necessarily a fan of the usual suspects in terms of manufacturers, but he has a lot of interesting ideas & opinions.
    I'm also enjoying Nick Shabazz, I like his views & delivery but it's a bit like a review by Crap Game from Kelly's Heroes...

I can see how some would feel that way

Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    I think he’s a bellend who can’t talk, just my opinion obviously

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Who's the Irish guy? He's got a certain something.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Pride and pinion? He’s quite funny.

Craftsman
    Hi folks, I’ve been a fan of watches since I was a kid, and back in the 80’s & 90’s getting good luxury watch info was much harder than it is nowadays. Back then, I’d have to go into boutiques, talk to watchmakers and get catalogues. Nowadays, watch review videos are everywhere...making life much easier. That said, there’s a lot more hype, propaganda and utter nonsense about watches on YouTube. Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty of good info on the site, but I feel that many of the watch reviewers on You Tube have shone an bigger spotlight on Rolex than ever before, helping to inflate the giant bubble in the market. There’s also a lot of merciless salesmen trying to seduce you into buying any old tosh with talk of “bevelled flanks” or “brushed and polished links” (the sort of finishing that you get nowadays on most 200 quid watches from Argos) as if this were some sort of artisanal wizardry. I’m keen to hear who you all like and dislike on the YouTube scene.

I like watchfinder, though they have zero self awareness when they talk about Rolex pricing. Otherwise I’ve gotten into Bark and Jack recently, which I quite like. I also like The Urban Gentry.

All worth checking out, in my view.

As for Archie, he’s clearly a parody of himself and of all his own most amusing/ironic personality traits - and I could handle any amount of profanity, crassness and slobbery, but for me the reason he’s so utterly insufferable is the way he has to repeat virtually everything - and I mean everything - he says a minimum of once. “The rodent, THE RODENT, has lost his job, the rodent had lost his job. That’s karma guys, that’s f*****g karma...” repeat (no pun) ad nauseam. Just make a bloody point mate!!!!! His vids would be 50-75% shorter if he only said his sentences once. Irritates me beyond belief 
    And every video he starts at least 10 sentences with:

"I gotta be completely honest with you..."

Craftsman
    I have to say that the Pride and Pinion guy is starting to grow on me a little. Wasn’t expecting it.

I have to say that the Pride and Pinion guy is starting to grow on me a little. Wasn’t expecting it.

Same here. He’s funny. That accent is a little strange haha.