closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who are the best / worst YouTube watch reviewers?

Craftsman

Who are the best / worst YouTube watch reviewers?

Hi folks, I’ve been a fan of watches since I was a kid, and back in the 80’s & 90’s getting good luxury watch info was much harder than it is nowadays. Back then, I’d have to go into boutiques, talk to watchmakers and get catalogues. Nowadays, watch review videos are everywhere...making life much easier. That said, there’s a lot more hype, propaganda and utter nonsense about watches on YouTube. Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty of good info on the site, but I feel that many of the watch reviewers on You Tube have shone an bigger spotlight on Rolex than ever before, helping to inflate the giant bubble in the market. There’s also a lot of merciless salesmen trying to seduce you into buying any old tosh with talk of “bevelled flanks” or “brushed and polished links” (the sort of finishing that you get nowadays on most 200 quid watches from Argos) as if this were some sort of artisanal wizardry. I’m keen to hear who you all like and dislike on the YouTube scene.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Examples: TGV, Federico, Tim Mosso, Archie (Paul Pluta), Watchfinder.

Watchbox Reviews are always good for getting an overview of a watch you're interested in. Excellent knowledge and slickly presented.

Archie is a joke, im fairly sure it is a p**s take of wealthy watch collectors attitudes....

Producer Michael the end.

IDGuy always does good videos and WatchFinder has so great close ups
    And my watch channel ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Watchbox Reviews are always good for getting an overview of a watch you're interested in. Excellent knowledge and slickly presented.
    Yup Tim’s good. He’s got a decent knowledge base and a way with words. He also gives all the watch brands respect...not just Rolex, Patek, AP etc. Sometimes I’d like him to be a bit more critical of brands but he’s a salesman at the end of the day...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post
    Producer Michael the end.
    Never heard of him. I’ll investigate.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Archie is a joke, im fairly sure it is a p**s take of wealthy watch collectors attitudes....
    He’s definitely a piss take but his actual watch knowledge is often incorrect and he doesn’t half talk sh*te. He does make me laugh from time to time though.

Craftsman
    Timeless watch channel and klein vintage for me

Quote Originally Posted by WatchFanUK23 View Post
    Never heard of him. I’ll investigate.

Michael is... how can I say this nicely.... influencer is not the word i'm looking for, obscene amounts of money and materials slip through his digits, his ghastly dress sense to his choice of personal jet leaves me totally gobsmacked, it will be interesting to know what you think of him.

Master
    I largely couldn't give a **** about you tubers reviews. There is a thing called having your own opinion. Fortunately the laws in this country mean I can buy something, and return it. Sod some pompous ass on YouTube.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    I largely couldn't give a **** about you tubers reviews. There is a thing called having your own opinion. Fortunately the laws in this country mean I can buy something, and return it. Sod some pompous ass on YouTube.
    Whilst I absolutely agree that you have to have your own opinion, YouTube does give you an opportunity to get close to watches you may not easily get to see in the flesh right away. New releases, wait list watches etc.... but there is a risk for the less independent-minded to get sucked into trends propagated by these guys.

I quite like Federico, the WatchBox stuff is good to see the watches if there is one in particular you are interested in and want to see a more stats type video.

The best YouTube stuff is Watchfinder, HODINKEE and Revolution in my opinion

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RVFIO View Post
    I quite like Federico, the WatchBox stuff is good to see the watches if there is one in particular you are interested in and want to see a more stats type video.

The best YouTube stuff is Watchfinder, HODINKEE and Revolution in my opinion
    Yes to Watchfinder and HODINKEE. I’m not familiar with Revolution.

Craftsman
    One guy I really like is hafiz j mehmood. Probably the most beautiful close up shots of each watch that is reviewed and also lots of shots from a 3rd person perspective. The reviews are so in depth and informative and picks up on the good and the bad

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I agree watchbox are good, he actually puts it on his wrist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Jodi of Just One More Watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wuyangkid View Post
    One guy I really like is hafiz j mehmood. Probably the most beautiful close up shots of each watch that is reviewed and also lots of shots from a 3rd person perspective. The reviews are so in depth and informative and picks up on the good and the bad

I’ll give him a try! Thank you.

Always take the youtube reviews with a pinch of salt. There are generally three types of reviewer, the ones that are selling the watch, those that have been given the watch free to review, and those that have been paid to review. I enjoy watchbox and watchfinder videos for giving good all round views and wrist shots, but they will never actually say anything bad about a watch, even if it is a diamond encrusted Jacob & Co.

Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post
    Michael is... how can I say this nicely.... influencer is not the word i'm looking for, obscene amounts of money and materials slip through his digits, his ghastly dress sense to his choice of personal jet leaves me totally gobsmacked, it will be interesting to know what you think of him.
    He is clearly seriously rich but has been caught out lying about his wealth recently which is odd considering how wealthy he clearly is. From petending to buy and own a jet to even fake belts. I've watched a few videos but can't stand him.

Craftsman
    He's been busted with fake watches a fair few times aswell

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    Jodi of Just One More Watch.
    Came to post this. Great sense of humour.

Master
    Jody (or Jodi?) is the only one I subscribe to. I do find his manner a tad annoying but I enjoy his reviews nonetheless.

Master
    I quite like Adrian off Bark and Jack, he has a pleasant casual way of describing watches. Frederico is good as long as you fast forward the first 90 secs of plugs for Delray.com.

If you want to evaluate the watch “ buying” process watch a few Paul Thorpe who seems to talk sense and fantasy In equal measure.

Master
    Timeless Watch Channel, beautiful settings, exquisite photography, interesting host.
    Bark and Jack, good photography, enthusiastic presenter, good range of reviews & articles.
    Paul Thorpe, interesting but divisive.
    Watchfinder, nice reviews, good photography
    ID Guy, good photography, interesting host.
    These are the channels I watch most often, rereading what I wrote it's clear that an engaging host who knows their way around a camera and has a interesting or refreshing point to make is what grabs my attention.
    I've seen some other good channels, but the ones above are the ones that I subscribe to, because the content is consistently good.

I find Watch Advisor to be the best resource for serious watch reviews on youtube.

Watch Chronicler (aka Armand the watch guy) is also pretty good too and I always watch any new vids from Hodinkee.

I also found WatchMaxe-EN https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvB...NN9uKeXM6sDI9A
    during a recent obsession with the new Sinn U50. He has some good content and mostly covers German brands.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchFanUK23 View Post
    ... but there is a risk for the less independent-minded to get sucked into trends propagated by these guys.
    I don't think that's restricted to Youtube reviewers... :Winkskull:

The only one I subscribe to is JustOneMoreWatch - In contrast to another poster, I like Jodi/Jody's presenting style, he's nice and relaxed. although a lot of the watches he reviews look like tat, but I guess that's the risk with a channel concentrating on cheaper watches.

I've tried a few others when looking for information on specific watches, but most seem to be flash gits bragging about their wealth (real or imagined) or humourless drones.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRI...9K4tZvSmhFAOuQ

YoureTerrific doesn't upload much but excellent videos when he does.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    I enjoy watching well edited moving pictures of timepieces - it is possible to not give a rats ass about a reviewers opinion whilst still enjoying the content.

Personally I enjoy the Hodinkee talking watches series, the watch box reviews and Jenni Elle. Oh and a little Archie when I’m in need of a chuckle

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    He is clearly seriously rich but has been caught out lying about his wealth recently which is odd considering how wealthy he clearly is. From petending to buy and own a jet to even fake belts. I've watched a few videos but can't stand him.
    He didn’t buy the jet? Wow I never heard that

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    He didn’t buy the jet? Wow I never heard that
    Nope and never will. The one he claims to have bought is a demo, people have looked up the tail number, then he changed his story and said it's on order and coming. Still not here yet.

He also claimed he bought a Lamborghini Veneno but the pictures he supplier were from a private viewing, not his car at all.

Additionally he said he bought a Pagani Huayra but had no idea you had to pay in Euros. Said he paid in dollars. Seriously rich there's no doubt, but makes out he's a billionaire for some odd reason.

Another vote for Adrian at Bark and Jack and JustOneMoreWatch. I enjoy their presenting style, but their opinions are just that - theirs.

Didn’t see any mention of TGV, either good or bad?

Last edited by Onespeed; 28th May 2020 at 09:37.

Journeyman
    In addition to those mentioned, I think Teddy Baldassarre has some nice videos with good detail and information

Quote Originally Posted by Onespeed View Post
    Didn’t see any mention of TGV,:
    I’m grateful

TGV has to be the worst of the worst.

I'm partial to watching YouTube especially watch reviews, sometimes for me its mental switch off.

Adrian @ Bark & Jack, seems approachable, sense of humour, not biased even if a Rolex Fan Boy.

Watchfinder - probably one of the best, the guy knows his stuff and some great shots. But always remember they are a dealer and push what they have. Also have good variety.

ID Guy - different format and approach, puts across some good views, but uses over peoples images.

Bruce Williams - seems to be a full on Watch fan, with some good macros, and honest reviews, also a wide spectrum of watches from Seiko to Rolex, (another Rolex fan boy). Does some good Q&As, and only 1 brand 3 watches.

Jenni Elle - Good women reviewer, with a sense of humour. Also nice to get a female's view who's into watches

TGV/ Urban Gentry - Provided you don't think he's gospel in what he say's videos can be good, bit long winded, and sometime very cheesy, also ignore the endless shilling he does for brands.

Watch On - Guy is from Denmark I believe, seems to have a varied collection.

Watch Advisor - really good content, opinions.

Journeyman
    Marc André Deschoux of https://www.youtube.com/user/thewatchestv/videos

This chap is the probably the most professional and accomplished in front of camera from the small selection I view regularly. He has stuff to sell but it's infrequent and low key. Mostly it's just high end horology with excellent photography.

Recently did a 3 parter on the Greubel Forsey Hand Made, worth a viewing even though it's out of reach for most of us. What a thing.

Jenni Elle is ok, fairly new, plenty of room for improvement but stll worth the occasional viewing imo. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4T...DID3jPg/videos

This guy is errr hmmm. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn_...lfa3t8w/videos Not really sure I can recommend him, but he does have some decent knowledge and is a purveyor of some fine pieces.

Craftsman
    Watchfinder videos are great. I could watch them all day. Although they are blatantly tied to the company, I don't think they actively try to sell as much as some of the YouTubers who aren't. Just beautiful photography and great information and stories.

I don't mind TGV, he is what he is, but I really love his enthusiasm for some of the cheaper models and I imagine he's got a lot of younger people into watches. I like how he has the watches in his hand when he reviews them rather than reading about them off the Internet.

I like Federico, and the other guy who's name I forget who sometimes does videos with him. I think there's something off though, for example he has been (sometimes not so) subtly hyping certain brands and it wouldn't shock me if there was some kind of pump and dump equivalent going on there.

Teddy Baldassarre is OK but I don't think he's ever seen half the watches he talks about. Same for a lot of them.

Paul Thorp is... a character. I like it when he talks about watches, less so when he's going off on one about his frankly terrifying politcs...

Archie is unwatchable.

Blog Entries
    Random Robs good , take time with Patrick Marlett, 10:10 tock (clock, stock and barrel), Nick Shabazz.

Watchgecko seem to do some nice watch strap reviews and always manage to show the watches in the best possible lighting conditions.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Random Rob and the time teller are two I keep an eye on.

Not too serious and mostly watches I can afford.

Random Rob doesn’t seem to do too much research. Just points the camera and records.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    like bark and jack, watchuwant Tim, bobs, and can just about deal with the CRM guy.
    watch producer Michael just for the wtf and entertainment factor.
    cant stand Archie and tgv

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut View Post

the archie explodes are the best ones, pure melt down nonsense but funny

Craftsman
    Personal views . . . .

For good info -- slick, even if commercially angled -- Tim Mosso (Watchbox), Hodinkee and Watchfinder.

Some good info (though mainly Rolex), but slow and crashingly boring: Paul Thorpe.

For entertainment value, but still with watch content: Federico Iossa and Tristano Veneto.

Off the wall entertainment with some interesting watch content (and sometimes great guitar playing): Tim Holzhäuser.

Can't stand (i.e. very low entertainment or intellectual content): Paul Pluta and Bear Clooney.

Master
    Surprised there's not more love for the Timeless Watch Channel...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wuyangkid View Post

Just checked his review of my dream piece on this recommendation - very nice indeed, excellent photography & commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by TROYBOY79 View Post
    the archie explodes are the best ones, pure melt down nonsense but funny
    I agree.

I like Archie. He actually knows a lot about watches. But his channel is so stupid that it's actually quite funny. Especially when he's seriously drunk (or stoned).

Like this for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0nfr8XUpZY

Honestly, I really enjoy a lot of them - TGV, Watchbox, Watchfinder, Watch Chronicler, ID Guy and Random Rob to name a few.

ArchieLuxury is so utterly fascinating to watch - like some kind of demented human zoo. His recent meltdown has led to him declaring he will sell his entire Patek collection after some bloke slagged him off on a livestream.

The one I cannot stand is the Time Teller - annoying twerp who spends most of his videos ranting about how terrible TAG Heuer is and then being rude to people who disagree with him in the comments section.

My apologies firstly to WatchFanUK23 Sorry to have led you up that path...

Thanks for the info that seems to nail the lid on that one,
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Nope and never will. The one he claims to have bought is a demo, people have looked up the tail number, then he changed his story and said it's on order and coming. Still not here yet.

He also claimed he bought a Lamborghini Veneno but the pictures he supplier were from a private viewing, not his car at all.

Additionally he said he bought a Pagani Huayra but had no idea you had to pay in Euros. Said he paid in dollars. Seriously rich there's no doubt, but makes out he's a billionaire for some odd reason.
    Obviously the part of the globe he moves in only listens to the big numbers, I watched the jewellery store vids with interest, they close all the doors when he walks in lol, the watches, the cars, the jets and the antiques are his drug of choice... the shoes and shirts bust me up though... I bet he never goes back to Romford lol.