closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Quick question about a gold rope chain - jewellers?

Quick question about a gold rope chain - jewellers?

Phew it's a bit hot today so I am squirreled away in my den having a sort out.

I've found this chunky gold rope chain - weighs 62g with a length of 56cm, so fairly heavy - that I have had kicking around in a drawer for years ever since I decided I wasn't Sonny Crockett circa 1990.

I figure I might as well get it scrapped.

I cannot for the life of me remember whether it is 9ct or 18ct and after looking very closely at the clasp and links I cannot see any kind of hallmark. Should there be one on a chain like this? Any hints as to what I should be looking for? And any suggestions for the disposal value if not scrapped? And any way to tell what ct it is withouth taking it to a rather closed jeweller at the moment. Better to scrap or sell as is - it is a nice chain if that is your kind of thing.

Any suggestions welcome.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Phew it's a bit hot today so I am squirreled away in my den having a sort out.

I've found this chunky gold rope chain - weighs 62g with a length of 56cm, so fairly heavy - that I have had kicking around in a drawer for years ever since I decided I wasn't Sonny Crockett circa 1990.

I figure I might as well get it scrapped.

I cannot for the life of me remember whether it is 9ct or 18ct and after looking very closely at the clasp and links I cannot see any kind of hallmark. Should there be one on a chain like this? Any hints as to what I should be looking for? And any suggestions for the disposal value if not scrapped? And any way to tell what ct it is withouth taking it to a rather closed jeweller at the moment. Better to scrap or sell as is - it is a nice chain if that is your kind of thing.

Any suggestions welcome.
    Just had a quick look on bullion by post and at 62g if 9ct they will give you £938, and 18ct £1876. No doubt there are better deals out there, but that was just a quickie.
    If it is foreign gold there may not be an actual hallmark, but I'd have thought on something that chunky there should be a mark of some sort somewhere. 375 would denote 9ct, and 750 18ct for instance, or even just 9ct or 18ct (or kt). Apologies if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here. Go over it with a loupe if you have one, theres a lot of links there for a mark to be hiding amongst.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Ask Alex on here
    He’ll put you right

He’s got stuff in SC at the mo
    A good guy

Thanks chaps for taking the time to post, and the advice on here and by PM.

I've been over it with a loupe in the sunshine and can't for the life of me find a mark. I know my eyesight isn't as good as it once was, but surely a mark can't be that hidden? I suspect it is 18k as it was gifted from my father and he always bought 18k or above in jewelry and watches, but I can't be sure.

I'll have a think.
    So clever my foot fell off.

I cleared out all the old bits and bobs of gold I had a few months ago, put it all in a bag and took to a place in Hatton Garden, they do some sort of acid test to see the carrot then just weight it. I got about 2k which is better than it sitting in a draw. I asked what they do with it and it all gets melted down.

Craftsman
    Have a good look on the clasp link.I expect that will be where the Hall mark is.

Quote Originally Posted by justin44 View Post
    ...some sort of acid test to see the carrot...
    Is it a 'Camberwell Carrot' that's revealed?
    ______

​Jim.

Most of the bullion dealers have a scanner that will tell you instantly what the composition is. Whether they are open for business at this time I have no idea.

gadget