Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Space X launch (May 30th 20:22)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    www.satflare.com/track.asp?q=CrewDragon#TOP

Edit Works for me:

1) set your location double clicking on the map

2) click the button Predict Passes located under the maps
    Brilliant, thanks for this!! The ISS was certainly easier to see, what a buzz!!

I watched the launch with my 7 year old son whilst facetiming my dad. 3 generations of Paddy all wishing they were there for the ride

Are you sure that you didn't spot the ISS?
    Hmmm, perhaps it was the ISS but it was bang on the time and location in the sky, I didn’t think the Dragon would be that close at the moment, perhaps it was the ISS???

Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post
    Question - would the Dragon have been brighter than the ISS? I was following on the satflare link posted above, though I saw the ISS at about the right predicted time but couldn’t see anything tailing it. I assumed it was the ISS as I thought the sun reflecting on its solar panels would make it incredibly bright?

Sent from my Pip-Boy 3000 MkIV

No it wouldn't, I'm afraid. For my location the magnitude was given as -1.2 for the ISS (that's not quite as bright as Sirius) and 3.2 for Crew Dragon 2 a few minutes later. The latter is too dim for me to see with the naked eye, especially as it is still quite light outdoors.

Craftsman
    No it wouldn't, I'm afraid. For my location the magnitude was given as -1.2 for the ISS (that's not quite as bright as Sirius) and 3.2 for Crew Dragon 2 a few minutes later. The latter is too dim for me to see with the naked eye, especially as it is still quite light outdoors.
    Thanks PickleB. I was fairly certain it would be the ISS.

Sent from my Pip-Boy 3000 MkIV

North London at 22.13
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 30th May 2020 at 22:38.

We sat out the front and waited. With a g&t each naturally. The ISS went over very bright and unmistakable. We waited about another ten minutes but didn't see the rocket. Most sites we looked on said it would be very low and close to the horizon and we have a range of hills less than a mile away right across from East to West, so I guess they obscured it for us. Still, we enjoyed the ISS.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I thought the whole thing was pretty amazing, especially the first booster landing on a ship.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Does anyone have a good link for me to watch some highlights with my space obsessed five year old? Thanks.

What an amazing event that was. I almost prayed for that launch to get off the ground!
    Cool as cucumbers those two astronaughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Cool as cucumbers those two astronaughts.
    Weren't they just! Liked the spacesuits aswell, like something Gerry Anderson would have designed.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

I watched this with my boy (13). His absolute delight and transfixtion was something to see. Had forgotten how long it's been since there was a manned space launch. Never gets any less magic.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Does anyone have a good link for me to watch some highlights with my space obsessed five year old? Thanks.
    There's a 14min video of the launch and flight at www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxBj8R7XKe4

Otherwise there are the SpaceX and NASA channels:

The latter seem to produce videos some time after the event.

Once they have docked with and have entered the ISS I'm pretty sure there will be television documentary or two on the subject. Even more so once the vehicle has returned to earth.

Is there any footage of the rocket landing on the ship? Signal was lost when I was watching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's a 14min video of the launch and flight at www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxBj8R7XKe4

Otherwise there are the SpaceX and NASA channels:

The latter seem to produce videos some time after the event.

Once they have docked with and have entered the ISS I'm pretty sure there will be television documentary or two on the subject. Even more so once the vehicle has returned to earth.
    Appreciate it thank you, most of the ones I found just seemed to be glorifying Trump and America...

More to see in about 30 mins: www.youtube.com/watch?v=21X5lGlDOfg

I believe docking is due just before 15h30 BST after an approach phase of at least 45mins. Can anyone confirm that estimate, please?

Update According to NASA:

10:29 EST 15:29 BST 16:29 CEST Docking
    12:45 EST 17:45 BST 18:45 CEST Hatch Open
    13:15 EST 18:15 BST 19:15 CEST Welcome ceremony
    Last edited by PickleB; 31st May 2020 at 11:36.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Is there any footage of the rocket landing on the ship? Signal was lost when I was watching.

I must admit I found that a bit odd.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I must admit I found that a bit odd.
    Here is their explanation. I too was eagerly awaiting the landing and it cut off. What I found odd was that the video cut out at the 9m:20s mark and re-appeared at 9m:30s with the rocket landed. If it takes them just 10 secs to land a 200ft object onto a platform bobbing about in the middle of the ocean then thats mighty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH75bVG7HBo

Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    Here is their explanation. I too was eagerly awaiting the landing and it cut off. What I found odd was that the video cut out at the 9m:20s mark and re-appeared at 9m:30s with the rocket landed. If it takes them just 10 secs to land a 200ft object onto a platform bobbing about in the middle of the ocean then thats mighty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH75bVG7HBo
    It doesn't take 10 seconds though - the entirety of its re-entry is positioning it to meet with the drone ship.

i found that odd that it cut out and a real shame, just gives some fuel to the naysayers , never happened etc.

i think yesterday was really significant, commercial human space travel is well on its way but more than that, the idea that commercial ventures and can get this done allows for the belief we can go further, and Bezos and Musk have big plans, yesterday was hugely significant and i think great things are yet to come

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post

Update As pointed out below, this landing has nothing to do with the launch vehicle for the Crew Dragon Demo...despite its title. Sorry about that.

Any good:

...?

Further to the previous posts, I see a lot of rocket efflux around the two white radomes on the vessel (pic link courtesy of www.spacexfleet.com). Following the logic presented in the other video, not only would there be vibration to upset the directional lock of the transmitter with the satellite but the thermal and turbulent disturbance may also play a role. Maybe the wind sometimes blows this away from one or other of them and accounts for the occasions when comms are not lost during landing?

Edit I wondered where that video came from and in looking around I came upon www.youtube.com/watch?v=s65uGrIBaOo that says "Here is the timelapse video of the #Falcon9 landing shared from an unknown source."
    Last edited by PickleB; 31st May 2020 at 20:48.

Space X launch (May 30th 20:22)

Any good:

...?

Further to the previous posts, I see a lot of rocket efflux around the two white radomes on the vessel (pic link courtesy of www.spacexfleet.com). Following the logic presented in the other video, not only would there be vibration to upset the directional lock of the transmitter with the satellite but the thermal and turbulent disturbance may also play a role. Maybe the wind sometimes blows this away from one or other of them and accounts for the occasions when comms are not lost during landing?

Edit I wondered where that video came from and in looking around I came upon www.youtube.com/watch?v=s65uGrIBaOo that says "Here is the timelapse video of the #Falcon9 landing shared from an unknown source."
    Thanks. Bloody amazing! Looks to be some sea swell and the rocket lands so firmly and stable.

Ps. Just saw something on YouTube about how the vibration of landing disrupts the transmission of the directional video signal to the comms satellite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 31st May 2020 at 17:27.

Craftsman

I’ll wait here till they come aboard

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have been doing some research after watching it and on Elon himself both equally amazing.

Any good:

...?

The video of the Falcon 9 landing from '30/5/2020' is the same video that appeared in 2019 (see 9m23s on).

Even the timelapse video looks like it was lifted from 9m35s onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by rgee View Post
    The video of the Falcon 9 landing from '30/5/2020' is the same video that appeared in 2019 (see 9m23s on).

...video...

Even the timelapse video looks like it was lifted from 9m35s onwards.

Rats! I did wonder...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I have been doing some research after watching it and on Elon himself both equally amazing.

Thanks! for the first half it sounded like he was just winging it, and then suddenly he makes a whole lot of sense!

Master
    Blog Entries
    no problem,he made it sound interesting as well I thought.

I didn't hear him mentioned in any of the speeches on Sunday or did I miss something?

Imaging a pass of the Crew Dragon Demo-2

...When the Crew Dragon first passed over the Netherlands some 23 minutes after launch (see map with the launch trajectory in a previous post), the sun was still just above the horizon for my Leiden location. I nevertheless tried with binoculars, using the moon as a guide, but saw nothing.

But two hours after launch on the second revolution, near 21:18 UT, we did have a visible pass, albeit in late twilight and very low above the horizon: at a maximum elevation of only 9 degrees over the horizon and a range of almost 1200 km!

To observe this pass I went by bicycle to Cronesteyn Polder at the edge of Leiden, where I have an uninterupted view to the horizon, and set up my photo camera. First, at 23:14 local time (21:14 UT), I saw the ISS pass with the naked eye low on the southwest horizon. I then took to binoculars and waited for the Crew Dragon, which should pass somewhat lower in the sky some 4 minutes after the ISS...

Blog Entries
    ^^^ And?

The first operational (as opposed to demonstration) SpaceX manned mission, SpaceX Crew-1, is due to launch at 00h49 GMT on Sunday morning (Sa 19h49 EST). The backup instantaneous launch window is Mo 00h27 GMT (Su 19h47 ETC). The launch webcast will go live about 4 hours before liftoff.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Brill, will try stay awake.

Blog Entries
    Great, just love the way the first stage lands upright on a ship! Amazing stuff.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

The first operational (as opposed to demonstration) SpaceX manned mission, SpaceX Crew-1, is due to launch at 00h49 GMT on Sunday morning (Sa 19h49 EST). The backup instantaneous launch window is Mo 00h27 GMT (Su 19h47 ETC). The launch webcast will go live about 4 hours before liftoff.
    ICYMI, owing to weather conditions NASA have reverted to the backup launch window...link.

Crew-1 is due to dock with the International Space Station at 04h00 GMT (23h00 EST) (NASA tweet).