Just bought an Aerotimer from another member and was doing the Twitter thing (out there batting for you Eddie, where do I send the invoice?) and it's getting silly amounts of love, followed closely by folk (who are not watch saddos like me/us) looking it up and not being able to believe they can afford one.
Set me to thinking. I don't buy watches for what other people think. I don't care. But it's nice when people say nice things or it leads to a convsersation which otherwise wouldn't have happened. The watch boxes contain some pretty expensive things (as all of ours do) but when I think about the watch I have which gets the most remarks / questions / love / offers to buy it - both online and in the flesh - it's not one of the ones costing more than any of my first four cars, it's the Smiths PRS-36. Not sure I've ever owned anything which has been so universally admired by both watchies and non-watchies equally. The old PRS-9 Czech Air Force was similar back in the day, and it looks like the Aerotimer may follow suit (although the 36 dwarfs all of them in terms of attention).
It's almost like Eddie's hit on something here...