closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Decent pick-up truck for about £5k?

Decent pick-up truck for about £5k?

Mitsubishi Warrior and Isuzu D-Max seem to pop up recommended.
    Anyone any thoughts?

I will only use it lightly, not for business - but I end up lugging stuff about quite often. Would probably need a twin-cab tho.

I am not too worried about MPG but do want reliable.

Anything else I should be considering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post

Yes, will you want a spittoon fitted?

Seriously, I've never had one, but my very longstanding friend (my Best Man in fact) has a building business and is obsessed with them. He has always bought Mitsubishi and swears by them.

I'm sure any of the Japanese ones are very reliable though.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Shotgun rack behind the seats, for them pesky varmints

Blog Entries
    Surely it'll have to be a ubiquitous Toyota Hilux Double Cab? However, I'm not sure what condition £5k buys you. Probably well over 10 years old and well over 100k miles.....

Rust is the killer for many of these vehicles, so inspect the underside carefully. Also be careful as some of the Japanese diesel engines (Nissan/Mitsubishi/Isuzu etc) of the last 15 years or so, aren't as bulletproof as you might think.

In order my preference from driving them all and using a variety on farms in Australia:

1)Toyota
    2)Nissan
    3)Volkswagen/Isuzu
    4)Mitsubishi

But you would need to be buying on condition for a £5k pick up, and certain models aren’t going to be great for that money.
    It's just a matter of time...

Nissan Navara 2005-2008ish suffer from chassis cracking so buyer beware!

Whilst I’m a huge Toyota fan, I reckon at this money a Mitsubishi L200 would be the way to go. Although I saw a Chinese Great Wall Steed on the road today and it looked alright, they are cheap as chips but I know nothing about them. To be fair my first motorbike was a Hongdu from China, it was a death-trap. Buy a Mitsubishi.

Can’t discount the ford ranger - I picked one up for a building project it had 140000 miles on it, I was worried it wouldn’t last - then put 40000 on myself.
    The Nissan Navara in that price range is a bit of a gamble as the engines can go big time and as stated the chassis can literally snap ! But they are well equipped and drive well (for a pick up)

If going for a Nissan, check the timing chain has been replaced and it may have a certificate for the chassis issue as they were a recall I believe and Nissan would come and check them.

Love my Nissan Navara but as mentioned above, too risky on older models for your budget. Ford Ranger would definitely be worth looking at.

My mates has done over 150k, religiously serviced and only issue was a radiator hose leek.

Anyone any thoughts?

I will only use it lightly, not for business - but I end up lugging stuff about quite often. Would probably need a twin-cab tho.

Hilux, although they're not cheap (see below). Toyota sell huge numbers of them across Africa, the Middle East, Australasia etc. All in environments where they get hard use and breaking down isn't a matter of calling the AA. Consequently they're massively over-engineered for Western Europe. Solid as rocks. £5k is only going to get a old one, but there's less to go wrong (for example, Navara etc use independent rear suspension; it's more "car like" for the lifestyle pick-up buyer, whereas Hilux uses beams. Why? Because you can't get a stone jammed in your rear spring and shatter it with a beam, which if you're in the middle of Namibia is a serious consideration) and they're far better built in the first place. Top Gear's endless attempts to kill one a good example. This was mine doing good work yesterday. :-)
    [IMG]Screenshot 2020-05-27 at 08.41.54 by Oscar India, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by FrontierGibberish; 27th May 2020 at 08:43.

Master
    Anyone any thoughts?

Interesting thread because I went through the same idea this time last year..... When we did our current house up I had a SIII pick-up which was VERY useful.... trips to builders yards, lugging ladders, going to the tip, etc. In the last 10 years that's gone and we're now doing our next house up. The lack of a pick-up is a real pain :-( Went through the process of looking for a cheap pick-up under 5K and gave in. At the time (last year) I kind of decided it would have to be a cheap run around with a tow-bar and trailer. Never went through with either idea though 'cause I then had a heart attack and CABG and then we hit COV19 shutdown. Anyway, from my months of research this time last year, I don't think you can get anything for 5K.... I looked at a few and they were basket cases.

Master
    An alternative you might want to think about is an older people carrier. Something like a Sharran, Galaxy or Alhambra where you can take all the seats out completely. The VW 130bhp PD engines are pretty unbreakable if you do minimal maintenance as is the 1.8 petrol turbo if journeys are short.
    I had an Alhambra and put over 80k miles on it in 2 years with a side gig as a technical courier to prop up programming gigs in lean times, I also moved house a few times with it and also ferried mates around to events. Probably the most practical car I've ever owned, it even handled reasonably well.
    May not fit your needs if you need to carry really big things but might be worth checking out. The up side is that they can be had for peanuts as they are unpopular.

As others have already said, £5k really isn't going to go very far towards a 'decent' pick up. You may be better trying to increase your budget if you can, or look at 'car based' alternatives if £5k is your max.

If you know someone selling a £5k pick up and it is reliable, then you should be fine, but buying 'unknown' at that price will be a big gamble.

Bit overpriced, low miles - but plenty of these about.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F133419644134