closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Suggestions for used car around £5k?

Master

Suggestions for used car around £5k?

Hi guys,

So the missus has a much longer commute than me so she gets the "good" car, a 2013 Volvo V40 D2 (lovely comfy and safe car, the Ford 1.6L diesel is a bit gutless but just about perfect for her). I am stuck with the "shitbox", 2007 Toyota Aygo. It is fine, been reliable but to be honest I hate it, plus it lets in loads of water. Whenever I can, I ride the Vespa!

Anyway looking for something that people have had good experiences with. Should be a bit fun, a bit fast and maybe a bit different, to give you an example my current favourite would be a Volvo c30 D5 or T5 (cool hatchback with a proper 5 cylinder Volvo engine). I will look for FSH but thats about it to be honest. Doesn't need to be big or all that practical to be honest. Wouldn't be used much for short journeys as I have the scooter for that.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Also I park on a road outside my home and am not experienced in doing any maintenance other than change a wiper and check the oil, but I have a local mechanic that seems to be pretty trustworthy so far! I religiously get my cars serviced every year.

Master
    Older Golf GTi? Bullet proof, nimble and easy to maintain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Older Golf GTi? Bullet proof, nimble and easy to maintain.
    Certainly one I have thought about but only issue I can think is a budget GTI has a fairly high chance of having been abused a bit, I guess if the history is good it could be an option.

Craftsman
    GMTmaster has a great looking Volvo V70 for sale?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tvralan View Post
    GMTmaster has a great looking Volvo V70 for sale?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
    Oh my, that looks awesome... I’m based in Plymouth (he is in Manchester) though and to be honest a car that size would not be all that useful and a pain to park where I live. If it was closer though I’d be very tempted anyway!

Shame you're down in Plymouth. You could have bought my CR-Z so I can buy that Volvo on SC!

Go French. We've got a Pug Gti and RS Megane. Great cult following on all RenaultSport and very affordable.

BMW e90 330d. Wonderful cars, 230 bhp with Aston Martin levels of torque even in standard spec and can be easily mapped for any add other 50 bhp and crazy torque with no other mods needed (auto boxes can easily take more power as they are used in the twin turbo 335d).

Go for Msport spec, it looks so much better than the standard spec.

The earlier M57 engine is pretty bullet proof and doesn't suffer timing chain issues of the later N57 Lci engine. There's some common faults to look out for (e.g. thermostats, turbo actuator) but that will be the same for any model of this age.

You'd be able to get a great earlier example for £5k. Go for the e91 Touring if you want a bit more space.

Mine has been a great car in 7 years of ownership and is now up to 120k miles and going strong. I'll never sell it there's nothing else for the money that would come close for me.

https://youtu.be/NH2Xk5LSEmA

Master
    Thanks for that, will do my homework, looks like it could be sort of thing I am looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    BMW e90 330d. Wonderful cars, 230 bhp with Aston Martin levels of torque even in standard spec and can be easily mapped for any add other 50 bhp and crazy torque with no other mods needed (auto boxes can easily take more power as they are used in the twin turbo 335d).

The earlier M57 engine is pretty bullet proof and doesn't suffer timing chain issues of the later N57 Lci engine. There's some common faults to look out for (e.g. thermostats, turbo actuator) but that will be the same for any model of this age.

You'd be able to get a great earlier example for £5k. Go for the e91 Touring if you want a bit more space.

Mine has been a great car in 7 years of ownership and is now up to 120k miles and going strong. I'll never sell it there's nothing else for the money that would come close for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Shame you're down in Plymouth. You could have bought my CR-Z so I can buy that Volvo on SC!
    How did you find the CR-Z ownership experience?

I tested one and it was nippier than I expected.

Maybe a left field choice, but in this position I’d be all over an Alfa Romeo Guilietta. Great vfm, nippy, spirited, gorgeous.

Blog Entries
    BMW 123d

Displacement 2000 cubic centimeters (2.0 liters / 122 cubic inches)
    Maximum power 204 metric horsepower (201 brake horsepower / 150 kilowatts)
    Maximum torque 400 Newton-meters (295 pound-feet)
    Engine location front-mounted
    Drive rear wheel drive
    0 to 60 mph 6.3 seconds

BMW 130i

Displacement 3000 cubic centimeters (3.0 liters / 183 cubic inches)
    Maximum power 258 metric horsepower (255 brake horsepower / 190 kilowatts)
    Maximum torque 310 Newton-meters (229 pound-feet)
    Engine location front-mounted
    Drive rear wheel drive
    0 to 60 mph 5.5 seconds

IMHO the 6 cylinder 3.0 litre is the one to go for... but I would say that...

They may not be the prettiest car on the road - but they are a hoot to drive & surprisingly comfortable & frugal over motorway distances.

z
    Last edited by zelig; 26th May 2020 at 22:32.

Craftsman
    Civic Type R, Corsa or Astra VXR, one of the Skoda vRS models?

Failing that, could always go for forum fave MX-5

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    First the sensible cars... Subaru: boring but reliable; Honda, boring but reliable. Same goes for the Korean fleet. Volvo V70 is a good choice but not with the D2 engine. This engine and auto/box aren't up to the heavy car (first hand experience here!). c30 always had my attention too! Love-it-or-loath-it model. In my book a good choice.

Menno

vRS Octavia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    07 to 09 civic type r

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    How did you find the CR-Z ownership experience?

I tested one and it was nippier than I expected.
    I think they belie the official figures somewhat. It does feel quicker than 10s to 60 in sport mode. They handle really well and it has been utterly reliable. Quite a few mods available if that's your thing, in fact there's a supercharger kit available that supposedly takes it to 200bhp.
    The only issues for me are really surrounding practicality. Treat it as a two seater as the back seats are genuinely useless.
    My other gripe is the doors are really wide so if some plonker parks too close to your driver's door you'll be climbing in through the other side! Had to do that a couple of times, needs some flexibility I'll tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    First the sensible cars... Subaru: boring but reliable; Honda, boring but reliable. Same goes for the Korean fleet. Volvo V70 is a good choice but not with the D2 engine. This engine and auto/box aren't up to the heavy car (first hand experience here!). c30 always had my attention too! Love-it-or-loath-it model. In my book a good choice.

Menno
    Subaru 3.0R Spec B. Not boring and reliable!

(Although mine had got a warning light on the dash now....it is sad for not being driven)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Subaru 3.0R Spec B. Not boring and reliable!

(Although mine had got a warning light on the dash now....it is sad for not being driven)
    Very cool. Hopefully my next car!

Very cool. Hopefully my next car!
    I genuinely love it mate. Great in the snow. As thirsty as me on a stag do though!

Fun and fast for £5k? Think I’d also be on the French hot hatch train, you’ll get newer and lower miles than the German gear

I think they belie the official figures somewhat. It does feel quicker than 10s to 60 in sport mode. They handle really well and it has been utterly reliable. Quite a few mods available if that's your thing, in fact there's a supercharger kit available that supposedly takes it to 200bhp.
    The only issues for me are really surrounding practicality. Treat it as a two seater as the back seats are genuinely useless.
    My other gripe is the doors are really wide so if some plonker parks too close to your driver's door you'll be climbing in through the other side! Had to do that a couple of times, needs some flexibility I'll tell you.
    Ah, didn't know about the doors. Great car though.

I quite like them and I know my local dealership well, so it was just the practicality aspect that caused me to pause. I had a chat with them about the batteries too, and they seem to be holding up well although replacement cost is £2k I think.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Ah, didn't know about the doors. Great car though.

I quite like them and I know my local dealership well, so it was just the practicality aspect that caused me to pause. I had a chat with them about the batteries too, and they seem to be holding up well although replacement cost is £2k I think.
    I'll be sad to see mine go but I want an estate now for the load space. If I can find one like Kirk's I'll be chuffed!
    The battery hasn't been an issue and the amount quoted for replacement seems to vary wildy from £1000 upwards. The facelifted version (2013 onwards) uses lithium based technology so performs better but the annual rfl jumps from £20 to £115.

I'll be sad to see mine go but I want an estate now for the load space. If I can find one like Kirk's I'll be chuffed!
    The battery hasn't been an issue and the amount quoted for replacement seems to vary wildy from £1000 upwards. The facelifted version (2013 onwards) uses lithium based technology so performs better but the annual rfl jumps from £20 to £115.
    If I was in the market, I would buy yours as I think I can get away with the 2+2 layout. This damn virus has wrecked my plans though.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Fun and fast for £5k? Think I’d also be on the French hot hatch train, you’ll get newer and lower miles than the German gear

Agreed, however I wouldn’t touch a Renault. Citroen or Pug for me.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Never had much luck with french cars always a sensor playing up or weird noise that no one can pinpoint.
    5k and practicality not an issue would see me looking at things mentioned above, Civic type-r, MX5, Golf Gti.

If you're more of a cruiser a GS or LS Lexus the LS430 is bomb proof aside from worry that a suspension airbag will let go - but that's pretty rare to be fair, the GS450h is a rocket ship and Toyota's hybrid batteries are holding up well after 2 decades on the road. Cell repair is now a thing and costs far less than a new turbo and is less likely to fail. The IS250 is worth a look too if you just want something reasonably fast that will get you about in reliable comfort, don;t be tempted by the diesel it's terrible. 5k will see you into a decent specimen of any of these albeit with higher miles.

Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    Never had much luck with french cars always a sensor playing up or weird noise that no one can pinpoint.
    5k and practicality not an issue would see me looking at things mentioned above, Civic type-r, MX5, Golf Gti.

If you're more of a cruiser a GS or LS Lexus the LS430 is bomb proof aside from worry that a suspension airbag will let go - but that's pretty rare to be fair, the GS450h is a rocket ship and Toyota's hybrid batteries are holding up well after 2 decades on the road. Cell repair is now a thing and costs far less than a new turbo and is less likely to fail. The IS250 is worth a look too if you just want something reasonably fast that will get you about in reliable comfort, don;t be tempted by the diesel it's terrible. 5k will see you into a decent specimen of any of these albeit with higher miles.
    Are the Lexus RX any good as a second hand buy? I'd prefer a SUV for the capacity and ride height.

I always wonder why people have this (usually uninformed) attitude towards French and Italian cars? They own one, or their mate did that was a pos that should have been walked away from in the first place and they end up with a lifelong prejudice. These days cars are often made up of parts from many different manufacturers. Your lovely Mercedes quite possibly has a Renault engine and Peugeot diesels used in millions of cars, vans etc

I'd be looking for a Seat Leon. Or an MX-5.

Corsa vxr all day long
    Sooooooooo cheap to buy used
    Easy to fix, surpringlu cheap to run
    Fast as......

Great fun

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Are the Lexus RX any good as a second hand buy? I'd prefer a SUV for the capacity and ride height.
    I drive an rx400h 57 plate 118k miles. Cost me 6k 3 years ago and I’ve put 50k miles on it in that time. It’s only had preventative maintenance, and has never let me down. The traction battery charges fully and I average about 28mpg (I have a heavy right foot got to love sub 7 seconds to 60) but have managed 42mpg on a run from Wolverhampton to Bedford.
    In short I’d thoroughly recommend one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I always wonder why people have this (usually uninformed) attitude towards French and Italian cars? They own one, or their mate did that was a pos that should have been walked away from in the first place and they end up with a lifelong prejudice. These days cars are often made up of parts from many different manufacturers. Your lovely Mercedes quite possibly has a Renault engine and Peugeot diesels used in millions of cars, vans etc
    I’ve had 3 french cars

a pug 406 coupe, all the sensors went pop and the fuel filter went porus, the coolant system sprang random leaks and the interior deteriorated faster than cheese under a blowtorch. Went back to the lease company at the end of the lease.

A pug 407 coupe, all the sensors went pop, battery discharged itself randomly, the gearbox broke and it had a whining noise so loud it made driving it impossible. Went back to the finance company under halves and thirds.

A Citroen bx, milk tray interior, haunted suspension that pumped itself up when you braked so every few miles you had to stop and lower and raise it again, rinse repeat.

So yes I’ve had quite a bit of experience with french or psa group cars, about 8 years in total and would never ever buy another and actively encourage other to do the same.

I’ve had 3 french cars

a pug 406 coupe, all the sensors went pop and the fuel filter went porus, the coolant system sprang random leaks and the interior deteriorated faster than cheese under a blowtorch. Went back to the lease company at the end of the lease.

A pug 407 coupe, all the sensors went pop, battery discharged itself randomly, the gearbox broke and it had a whining noise so loud it made driving it impossible. Went back to the finance company under halves and thirds.

A Citroen bx, milk tray interior, haunted suspension that pumped itself up when you braked so every few miles you had to stop and lower and raise it again, rinse repeat.

So yes I’ve had quite a bit of experience with french or psa group cars, about 8 years in total and would never ever buy another and actively encourage other to do the same.

Aah, Vendredi après-midi cars then...?

I’ve had 3 french cars

I agree. A Renault Laguna that had a rear suspension arm corrode and fail, and a windscreen that went cloudy on a 3 year old car!
    A Citroën Picasso that melted it's own wiring loom twice, sprung a fuel leak at the tank, and had so many engine faults, the lease company eventually gave me a Mondeo instead. All company cars a few years back.

I will never buy French again.

Me too, Laguna was nothing but trouble - gearbox had to be replaced twice. Engine mounting bolts sheared off 3 times (my local mechanic kept a few in stock for me). Finally written off when cambelt failed in Spain.

Having said this, I think older cars may have been (relatively) better. My father always had a Renault - including 4, 16, 9? and 19 and can't remember any problems.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 27th May 2020 at 20:54. Reason: 16 not 12 (a much nicer car)

Blog Entries
    Older French cars were quite formidable because they still had the design flair (quirks to some) but none of the electrickery that modern cars have - they were mechanically modest, apart from the hydropneumatic Citroens of course.

I drive an rx400h 57 plate 118k miles. Cost me 6k 3 years ago and I’ve put 50k miles on it in that time. It’s only had preventative maintenance, and has never let me down. The traction battery charges fully and I average about 28mpg (I have a heavy right foot got to love sub 7 seconds to 60) but have managed 42mpg on a run from Wolverhampton to Bedford.
    In short I’d thoroughly recommend one.

Thank you!

Blog Entries
    I’ve had several French cars ... wouldn’t have another.

...even my French colleagues acknowledge the long term quality is (generally) not there.

z

Well, I've had French for about 25 years going back to BX's, Scenics, Captur, 405, 306, 205, 208, Meganes. I've also had multiple Golfs, Passats, Sciroccos, couple of Mercs, Fiats, Multiple 911's, 924T/S, Boxster.... and you know what? I've never had a bad or really troublesome car. Apart from a Fiat 128 Rallye I bought new tax free in BAOR which basically rusted away in 5 years, went well though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Well, I've had French for about 25 years going back to BX's, Scenics, Captur, 405, 306, 205, 208, Meganes. I've also had multiple Golfs, Passats, Sciroccos, couple of Mercs, Fiats, Multiple 911's, 924T/S, Boxster.... and you know what? I've never had a bad or really troublesome car. Apart from a Fiat 128 Rallye I bought new tax free in BAOR which basically rusted away in 5 years, went well though.
    To be fair, if you’ve always bought new or nearly new then you’re probably not going to get many issues certainly none that will tarnish your view of a brand.
    Buying a car today for 5k puts you firmly in the ‘danger zone’ when it comes to reliability. At this point you either buy a ford, Vauxhall or similar because even though you know something will break, it’ll be cheap to fix or something Japanese / Korean because the likelihood of it breaking is relatively low.
    I tried bangernomics and bought an Audi A6 for £500. It lasted a month before the cooling system let go and it was scrapped. I bought a Kia after that which lasted 7 years with zero problems and was traded in earlier this year on the wife’s new Hyundai.
    My current Lexus is abused horribly and refuses to die.
    If I had to buy something for 5k I’d be looking at Asian cars (except Nissan, they’re just Renaults in an inflatable sumo suit these days)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Older French cars were quite formidable because they still had the design flair (quirks to some) but none of the electrickery that modern cars have - they were mechanically modest, apart from the hydropneumatic Citroens of course.
    My mum always had french cars in the 70s Renault 5s 12s Peugeot’s never had any mechanical problems used to dissolve faster than an aspirin but all cars did back then, my workmate had a Peugeot 307 and the gearbox went my mates parents also had one were the engine caught fire I had 2 3 year old pug 406s first one great second one had something breaking every month

Master

Hmmm, certainly an interesting recommendation. A big heavy diesel saloon would not do it for me if the requirement was for something fun.

For £5k i'd be considering something like a Clio RS, MR2, Boxster 986 (you'd be surprised, plenty of folk on Boxster fora that run sub £5k cars), Z3, 325ti, supercharged Mini etc

The bulk of those cars were designed to be what they are from the ground up rather than boggo models with big engines/more powerful maps.

Craftsman
    £5k fun car would be a Fiesta ST Mk7 , if you can live with the choppy ride on Devon roads

Master
    Saabs make excellent and left-field s/h buys because their value has obviously tanked, but Saab parts are a separate and profitable company, so parts are easily obtainable, and there are plenty of good indies still around. You could get a vgc 9-3 Aero for that money - 200+hbp and very quick - or of course a convertible.

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Hmmm, certainly an interesting recommendation. A big heavy diesel saloon would not do it for me if the requirement was for something fun.

For £5k i'd be considering something like a Clio RS, MR2, Boxster 986 (you'd be surprised, plenty of folk on Boxster fora that run sub £5k cars), Z3, 325ti, supercharged Mini etc

The bulk of those cars were designed to be what they are from the ground up rather than boggo models with big engines/more powerful maps.
    Since when has a 3 series with a decent engine been dull to drive?

It's hardly a lard ar**, plus it's rear wheel drive, has good power, shed loads of torque and lovely weighted hydraulic steering. And when you put your foot down it sounds better than most petrol 4 pots. To me that's still fun, especially when you put your foot down and ride a wave of torque.

And if Diesel really is a no no then there's always the 330i.

Of course they won't anywhere near as involving as something like a clio sport in the b roads but it's a much nicer place to be sat in and a much better all rounder.

The OP didn't ask specifically for a small hatch or a 2 seater just something a bit fun and a bit fast. I don't see how that automatically rules out fast saloons too.

Master
    Since when has a 3 series with a decent engine been dull to drive?

It's hardly a lard ar**, plus it's rear wheel drive, has good power, shed loads of torque and lovely weighted hydraulic steering. And when you put your foot down it sounds better than most petrol 4 pots. To me that's still fun, especially when you put your foot down and ride a wave of torque.

And if Diesel really is a no no then there's always the 330i.

Of course they won't anywhere near as involving as something like a clio sport in the b roads but it's a much nicer place to be sat in and a much better all rounder.

The OP didn't ask specifically for a small hatch or a 2 seater just something a bit fun and a bit fast. I don't see how that automatically rules out fast saloons too.
    It’d be boring if we all liked the same things! I understand your point of view but I take the standpoint that smaller lighter cars are generally more fun to drive.

I’ve had two Renaults, a Scenic and a Clio sport, neither without some little foibles, but a lot less troublesome than the two Audi’s I’ve owned; Q5 and TT, both suffering catastrophic Engine and gearbox issues at around 70k. Never again will I buy VAG unless it’s a lease. I love Jap cars and they are usually reliable but my new EP3 Civic Type R had all the known faults and needed new suspension and gearbox under warranty. So I’d still err towards the Alfa. I owned a Lancia in the early 90’s and it never let me down and was a superb car to own, not even a minor electrical glitch. If you want rock solid reliability get a Lexus IS250. Just speaking from personal experience.

I have a Civic 1.8S which was 5K and had very low miles on it. It's been fantastic, serviced once a year, 43mpg, reasonably fast too.A bullet proof option.
    My independent garage opener said it was a superb example.

After my last post I remembered a Panda I bought from an Auction many year ago. It was a Gullible Fool Special Pos and my first auction buy. I was totally suckered and it cost loads to be put right. We used it for a year and got rid at a loss. Didn't put me off auctions however and I've bought one or two cars and bikes since. But I didn't and don't go around telling other people never to use auctions or never buy a Panda or some silliness. Just because you or your mates mate had a bad experience doesn't mean the next thing you buy is going to be the same. You must do your home work before buying anything and always walk away if in doubt.
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 29th May 2020 at 16:36.

I'm a sucker for anything Japanese having various Subaru, Honda and Toyota fast scoots in my time....unfortunately I don't have anything particularly sporty at the moment (although my Toyota Granvia 3.0 turbo diesel camper van pulls like a train ) my Japanese motors have been totally reliable...a leftfield option that is available for £5k is a Mazda MPS...260bhp and a decent rep...eg https://www.motors.co.uk/car-56328470/?i=1&m=sp