closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand seiko

Craftsman

Grand seiko

Aside from the movement is there any difference in quality between the quartz and automatic / spring drive models .Iam getting more and more interested in the brand and the quartz is obviously a more affordable entry route into the brand .Just a bit tricky to get the head around paying big money for quartz

Sent from my moto g(7) play using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    The finishing on my 9f is just as good as my mechanical.

Master
    Blog Entries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've both a quartz and a Spring Drive, there's absolutely no difference in the level of finishing whatsoever. Unless you step up to Credor you won't find any variance in quality between one GS and another.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the pics and information ,food for thought

Sent from my moto g(7) play using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I don't think there's any real difference, although with an automatic or spring drive you're going to get a nicely decorated movement to look at though the exhibition caseback. That would be the only difference in finishing at least.

Are things like the applied markers the same in terms of how they're finished? I know my SD has at least 11 facets on each applied marker with the surface of the top cut to give texture. Are all of their applied markers finished with that many facets or are some 'just' polished cuboids?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Are things like the applied markers the same in terms of how they're finished? I know my SD has at least 11 facets on each applied marker with the surface of the top cut to give texture. Are all of their applied markers finished with that many facets or are some 'just' polished cuboids?
    I've just had a look at my SBGX063 and SBGA003.

The quartz markers are bevelled and polished along the either side of the length of each marker, have straight cut polished ends and have the fine ridges you mentioned on the flat top surface. The GS markers are the same except for having polished and bevelled edges at both ends of each marker instead of them being straight cut.

I'd never previously noticed that!

The handsets appear to be exactly the same with the exception of the size and that the GS handset is capped.
    Last edited by CardShark; 26th May 2020 at 13:26.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    I've both a quartz and a Spring Drive, there's absolutely no difference in the level of finishing whatsoever. Unless you step up to Credor you won't find any variance in quality between one GS and another.
    This is what I love about Seiko, Grand Seiko and the Japanese ethic. They are not interested in playing games, they are proud to have their name on all of their products and if you are buying a GS, why should they deliver an inconstant approach to product quality. They are proud to offer to quartz, Spring Drive, manual and automatics. If you are buying a GS, you will get the same level of finishing and attention to detail across the board.

I would have thought that all brands would offer a similar level of quality and finishing for all watches with in their range of offerings
    Omega, Rolex or any other brand you could mention would not lower the level of finishing for one type of watch in the range over another regardless of movement nor would Grand Seiko.
    It would be counter productive to their reputation.
    One thing I consider a plus for any GS quartz movement is the fact they are designed exclusively for GS and not shared with other Seiko’s (MM Tunas are the same) nor are they generic, mass produced, drop in movements, they are finished to a very high standard. To me this shows that the same care and attention is shown to their quartz watches and they should not be considered as an inferior product in the GS range.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 28th May 2020 at 12:18.

Is the zaratsu polishing on all models or only on those that they mention it on?

Master
    I don’t think there’s any difference in the quality of finishing between the movement types per se but there is a difference in the quantity of finishing between models. E.g. in the quartz range, the SBGV models have cases and dial designs that offer ‘more’ finishing than the SBGX models and are higher priced accordingly. And within the SBGV range itself, models based on the 44GS case (e.g. 205 and 207) are higher priced than their non-44GS case equivalents (221/3/5), the former having, inter-alia, more (and more complex) zaratsu case polishing. In all cases though, I think it’s more a question of quantity than quality.