closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seventies on a Shoestring - Titus Tuning Fork

Seventies on a Shoestring - Titus Tuning Fork

Well ok you can go even cheaper but with Omega parts*(case/bracelet/crown/crystal) and a Tuning Fork movement, NOS and all for the princely sum of £100 you surely can't get much better.

Was purchased a few weeks ago but had to wait until today as was bought as my birthday pressie from Mrs Tet. I absolutely love it.

It's always nice to discover that even on a tight budget(certainly in watch terms) there are still plenty of gems out there if you venture outside of the mainstream brands.

*for those that don't know, when Omega moved away from Tuning Fork models in the mid seventies they apparently sold all their case parts to Solvil et Titus. You can find tons of these rebadged Omegas, typically as with this one with crowns etc. having had the Omega logo ground off the crown(often casebacks aswell but this one has no signs of that), acrylics too typically have the Omega logo etched on the underside. Titus then used their own dials and handsets and fitted the same F300 Tuning Fork movements, although these were non-Omega branded and steel plates as opposed to the gold plated Omega versions.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 19th June 2020 at 15:25.

From the web, the 198.0044 Omega the parts were from. Can also be found on Seventies Cosmics.

I prefer yours (although the name sounds like something from a Benny Hill sketch...)

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

That’s really nice. I love the shape of the case and of course the movement is iconic.

That’s very nice.
    I had no idea about the link with Omega (every days a school day) thanks for sharing
    I am going to do a bit of research now as I have been thinking about trying a tuning fork movement.

If anyone knows where one could buy these NOS for £100 please let me know! They look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    From the web, the 198.0044 Omega the parts were from. Can also be found on Seventies Cosmics.
    That model name hasn’t aged well. All I think of when I read the name “cosmic” is Rodney Trotter.

I have a standing Ebay search on Titus because of the Wilhelmina models they made for the Dutch military and have always felt that some of the results look familiar; I had no idea about the Omega link. It looks like rather a lot of watch for the money and, failing that, a useful source of parts for Omega f.300 models. I already have two of the latter but don't want to be getting any more (especially as I still have a couple of Unisonics to cross off the list).
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    that's very nice, the case and bracelet integration seems quite similar to a Tissot pr516GL from that era?

What a brilliant post. I had absolutely no idea and in fact, of late, I've been looking at Omega TF watches online when I've sunk a few whiskies...so not only have I learned something but you may have saved me a packet! Thank you.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    That model name hasn’t aged well. All I think of when I read the name “cosmic” is Rodney Trotter.
    +1, in the late 60s/ early 70s it seemed a good choice.......but so did bell- bottom trousers.

I found the OPs post interesting, every day is definitely a school-day in watch land.

Thanks all, happy to have shared some useful information and will no doubt look forward to seeing one or two Titus in the Friday threads.

@Carlton-Browne damn so does that mean I'm competing with you with my regular Unisonic refreshes? Not that I hardly ever have the money to bid.