closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex,times have changed

Apprentice

Rolex,times have changed

I’ve been sorting through my drawers and found this old Rolex catalogue from 2009.I was a customer of David m Robinson and this came in the post I seem to remember.
    Prices seem to be roughly half of what they are now,what I find interesting is the offer of interest free credit on all Rolex models,unheard of on sports models these days

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by becca1; 26th May 2020 at 03:05. Reason: Bad photos

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by becca1 View Post
    I’ve been sorting through my drawers and found this old Rolex catalogue from 2009.I was a customer of David m Robinson and this came in the post I seem to remember.
    Prices seem to be roughly half of what they are now,what I find interesting is the offer of interest free credit on all Rolex models,unheard of on sports models these days

IMG_0933.jpgIMG_0934.jpg
    Sorry , hope these pics are better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    IMG_0933.jpgIMG_0934.jpg
    Sorry , hope these pics are better

IMG_0934.jpg

Apprentice
    IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

Master
    When I bought my gmt master 2 back in 2016 I got two years interest free credit, so things were different only four years ago too.

Blog Entries
    The suggest change in price is true of most manufacturers over 11years - same for Breitling / Omega etc - Rolex isn’t special. Percentage terms probably even greater increase.

I wonder what the Speedmaster or Seamaster cost in 2009 or the Navitimer. I’m sure someone here can give the figures.

Journeyman
    I can remember my first visit to Northern Goldsmiths in Newcastle, a multitude of stock and discounts hinted at on SS Sports, how times have changed!

Master
    I was living out in Asia at that time. Maybe there was an FX effect at play too but I seem to remember the 43mm Planet Ocean costing around GBP2.2-2.4K (after 20% discount?) I wonder if some of the mid-tier luxury brands don't simply price themselves off Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    The suggest change in price is true of most manufacturers over 11years - same for Breitling / Omega etc - Rolex isn’t special. Percentage terms probably even greater increase.

I wonder what the Speedmaster or Seamaster cost in 2009 or the Navitimer. I’m sure someone here can give the figures.

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    I was living out in Asia at that time. Maybe there was an FX effect at play too but I seem to remember the 43mm Planet Ocean costing around GBP2.2-2.4K (after 20% discount?) I wonder if some of the mid-tier luxury brands don't simply price themselves off Rolex.
    Would make sense. I know of at least one mobile phone company who price themselves as a % of the iPhone. Have done for years.

Journeyman

In 2008 I bought a moonwatch which I think was £1710 or thereabouts

I remember back in 1998 you could buy a brand new Omega for under £1K. The seamaster 120m quarts. It was 900 and something.

Now it would cost 2.5K probably even though it is a tiny watch and I wasn't that impressed for the cost

Master
    I recall buying my DSSD in around 2009, paid 5000 for it after a discount from the AD.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I walked in to my local AD in 2008 and had a choice in my hand of a Speedy Pro at £1600 or a Kermit at £3050 (they would do it for £3k) and I chose the Omega.

Not unhappy with the watch at all, and it's still worth what I paid for it if not a touch more now, but from a financial point of view DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain73 View Post
    In 2008 I bought a moonwatch which I think was £1710 or thereabouts
    I viewed mine on the Saturday at £1600 and on the Monday it became £1810 sometime in the summer of 2008 (remember it was warm).

I said I would only buy it if they honoured the previous price and they did.

Master
    30% depreciation of GBP vs Swiss franc in the period plus the standard long term watch price inflation (compounding also) explains pretty much all of it

Master

I had a small inheritance in summer 2008 & was looking for a watch. Fraser Hart had a no date sub at £3500 & a Moonwatch at £1600.
    I ended up with a one year old Seamaster 2254 from the fledgling Watchfinder at £895, box & papers.

I bought my Speedmaster from Goldsmiths in December 2009 for £2080

Quote Originally Posted by Ric356II View Post
    I bought my Speedmaster from Goldsmiths in December 2009 for £2080
    I bought my first Navitimer on a bracelet in 2006 from an AD for just over £2100...it was reduced from RRP of £2400 and they also included a Breitling leather strap. In 2013 they'd "upgraded" the movement to the B01 and I think the RRP became £5800.

I remember the recovery after the 2008 recession as the event that catapaulted prices dramatically. It was about 2010-ish when brands seemed to reposition everything...Rolex upped their prices then Omega decided to try and become direct competition for Rolex...Breitlings entire catalogue seemed to double in price off the back of 'in-house' movements. In 2013 Breitling was opening up it's Bond St boutique. That's the era when things got expensive in the watch-world....seemed to happen in a very short period of time and was probably linked to the huge growth in asian economy of 50% GDP between 2009 to 2014.

Subjectively, sadly, I don't think I've ever been better off since just prior to the 2008 recession...in terms of wage and spending power.

My Seamaster Pro Bond Quartz cost £998 (with discount!) in 2009. RRP was about £1100/1200 from memory?

Peanuts compared to the entry into a Seamaster these days

Back in 2014 when I was thinking about buying a Rolex for the first time and you could find a LVc in the window. Back then I was keen for the Explorer as I thought the rotating bezel and Cyclops were loud and brash. Still don't like the LVc but would have bought one knowing what I know now.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ISCB View Post
    I can remember my first visit to Northern Goldsmiths in Newcastle, a multitude of stock and discounts hinted at on SS Sports, how times have changed!
    Bought a few Rolex there over the years.

20% discount of my wife’s gold datejust with out much haggling.

10 % off my son’s SeaDweller , they told me it had only been in the window 45 minutes as well.

How times have changed.

Blog Entries
    I sold my 114060 for £1,100 under the £5,000 list at the time, here. Seemed a good deal at the time. Guess the year??? No peaking at SC!!

it seems the price for most brands seems to have recently jumped from £3-4K to £6-7K - and that’s not even for complications.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 26th May 2020 at 13:39.

Craftsman
    Notwithstanding currency fluctuations, there is also a large amount of Swiss price gouging going on for me, and unfortunately the likes of Seiko are now following them ...

No wonder the average working man is gravitating more and more to microbrands and smart watches ...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Notwithstanding currency fluctuations, there is also a large amount of Swiss price gouging going on for me, and unfortunately the likes of Seiko are now following them ...

No wonder the average working man is gravitating more and more to microbrands and smart watches ...
    I suspect that Rolex and PP etc are more than happy to receive the improved exclusivity tag, brand recognition is mega important to them and brings in the moneyed customers.

I remember Speedmaster Pro's at £1500 and Rolex Explorers in the window at £1995.

I also remember when it was all fields around here and my first London house was just under 11K.

No point dwelling in the past on prices, it will only upset you.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I remember back in 1998 you could buy a brand new Omega for under £1K. The seamaster 120m quarts. It was 900 and something.

Now it would cost 2.5K probably even though it is a tiny watch and I wasn't that impressed for the cost
    My Omega Seamaster 120M automatic, bought in 2001, cost £1000. The quartz version, I bought for my son, a couple of years later cost £750.

They are 36mm diameter and, imo, the perfect size for a non sports watch. I wear mine most of the time. It’s the most comfortable watch to wear that I have.

My Rolex Submariner, (14060M) bought in 2004, cost £1970 and my Omega SMP300 quartz, bought in 2012, had a list price of £1500 at that time, (paid £1100).
    Last edited by JeremyO; 26th May 2020 at 16:56.

Master
    I like to remember how much my 16750 cost, sometimes. £698 I think (a bit less than £700 anyway). Fortunately I still have it, so it doesn't upset me :)

I sold my 114060 for £1,100 under the £5,000 list at the time, here. Seemed a good deal at the time. Guess the year??? No peaking at SC!!

it seems the price for most brands seems to have recently jumped from £3-4K to £6-7K - and that’s not even for complications.
    I am guessing at 2014.

Back in early 80's my mate who was big into his watches tried to sell me a Rolex 16750 for £450, I said 'how much' as seemed a huge amount of money for a watch back then!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I am guessing at 2014.
    kind of. I bought the watch new in 2014, sold in May 2015 for £3,900 - only five years ago - times they are a changing. Didn’t one go up for about £7K recently? Crystal ball&llcks
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 26th May 2020 at 17:09.

I remember Goldsmiths in 2010 offering me a GMT2C ceramic for about £4,400 when I said I couldn't afford it, I was offered a discount for 2/3 years 0% interest.I was a first year uni student so didnt buy it as I had just bought an Explorer 2 white face for £2k off tz!

kind of. I bought the watch new in 2014, sold in May 2015 for £3,900 - only five years ago - times they are a changing. Didn’t one go up for £10K recently? Crystal ball&llcks
    If that's correct I'm very happy. I offered mine to a WTB a few weeks ago for either 6.5 or 6.8 and was politely declined. Since then I've decided I was an idiot and the Sub is staying. If anything the BLNR will go.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    If that's correct I'm very happy. I offered mine to a WTB a few weeks ago for either 6.5 or 6.8 and was politely declined. Since then I've decided I was an idiot and the Sub is staying. If anything the BLNR will go.
    sorry - I checked - it was a bit under £7k not 10k.

Craftsman
    In jan2015 managed to get a Rolex Deepsea for a discounted £6660 from a grey dealer.
    My boss had just paid a premium of £100 to purchase a Rolex Daytona from the same and I thought he was crackers.