closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CWC RN Diver - are they worth it?

It seems to me that one important difference between what Rolex do and what CWC appear to have been doing in recent times, certainly with diver models anyway, is the direction of travel on quality.

Rolex are expensive and the price continues to go up, but they have always striven to make upgrades to their watches whether through improved build quality and materials (eg bracelets), or through upgrading already-good movements through technical innovations and improvements in design generally.

CWC are relatively inexpensive and in a different segment of the market, obviously. But in contrast, their recent approach appears to be to make regular large hikes in price whilst at the same time actually saving costs by downgrading things like crystals and movements.

I'd have thought that there's only so far you can go with this before people catch on and your reputation is affected. It looks like a losing long-term business model (though I could be wrong of course!) I wonder whether they plan at some point to embark on a new phase of increasing quality (ie going back to what they offered previously), using the upgrade over the current model to justify yet more hefty increases in price.

I'll be looking second hand I think.

Just thinking out loud.

This is the trouble I have with CWC currently.
    Back in the day they offered a military tested and proven dive watch with 90% of the quality of the Rolex that preceded it for 10% of the price.

Yes they are still a lot cheaper than a Rolex or Omega and some of the changes have been brought about by supply limitations but the ever increase in price has not been matched by quality increases. They are still selling what is essentially a 1970s watch with 1970s tech and build quality.

The price of the recent chronograph reissue was laughable, I bought an original issued watch for a lot less than they are asking.

I love CWC watches, I love the design, I love the history but I will be concentrating on issued, older versions going forward. I can’t see me popping in the Silvermans for a look at various watches like I used to.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Excellent! Does anyone know what canvas the ‘80 reissue is wearing?
    Sorry for not including that information but I see your question was answered..
    Originally the strap was available in 18mm also which I bought for my Fatboy Reissue. It was a bit snug so I tried it on the Diver. Seems to fit nicely. Also like it on the Fatboy.
    In keeping with the subject of the thread, I do think CWC prices have increased more than I would have expected but they seem to be doing well.
    After buying watches over many years, I realized that "justifying" a purchase sometimes caused me to miss out on things.
    Now I ask myself how badly do I want it.

I’m sorry for opening the door on the Rolex comparison. I suppose I could have mentioned Omega or Tag Heuer as examples of essentially the selling same watch as they have for years but with vastly inflated prices over the last 10 years. And then there is IWC selling watches with Sellita movements that are not even top grade.
    My point is I think CWC is aligning to the overall shift in the pricing of watches. But, personally I don’t think the prices are valid for almost all new watches from any brand.
    As with Sinnlover, I personally have become far more interested in older, issued pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    Crown & Buckle Chevron Adjustable for me: https://www.crownandbuckle.com/chevrontm-bond.html
    Slightly off topic, but how was shipping etc with the crown and buckle strap? Thinking of one or two for my BB58

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Slightly off topic, but how was shipping etc with the crown and buckle strap? Thinking of one or two for my BB58

I ordered on a Sunday, and received the package that Wednesday via first class domestic mail, but I am in the US. They prepare shipments quickly, in any case.

I like the Chevron single pass strap. I have seen complaints in forums about it not fitting well for people with larger wrists, but I am at 6 3/4 inches and it fits perfectly.

Journeyman
    I think they’re great watches. I have an auto date with the Sellita movement that is extremely accurate. I also have a custom quartz on order pairing the ‘83 dial and hands with the MK1 matt top case and a sapphire crystal upgrade. I’m personally cautious about looking back at the good old days. I bought an auto in the early 90s that had an awful bezel (brand new). I think the quality now is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Again they changed spec relatively recently
    The reissues had sapphire and the standard models mineral
    Now all come with mineral as far as I am aware.
    The prices for all of them have jumped quite a bit in the last year
    I love a CWC diver, I have three currently. Would I buy one at the current price? No I don’t think I would. Not new anyway.
    The reissues scratch the itch of an original to a degree, but a 2000/2001 issued watch offers the best bang for buck for an actual issued watch at the moment. They can be had for around £1000 -£1200.
    I have one of the first 100 from 2019 so I’m guessing this has the Sapphire crystal and ETA movement. Is there any way of knowing without taking off the caseback?

Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    I ordered on a Sunday, and received the package that Wednesday via first class domestic mail, but I am in the US. They prepare shipments quickly, in any case.

I like the Chevron single pass strap. I have seen complaints in forums about it not fitting well for people with larger wrists, but I am at 6 3/4 inches and it fits perfectly.
    Thanks - Perfectly answers my question - I’m in the UK and have 9 inch wrists so I’ll sadly have to pass, they look quite short in the reviews I’ve seen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    I have one of the first 100 from 2019 so I’m guessing this has the Sapphire crystal and ETA movement. Is there any way of knowing without taking off the caseback?
    As far as the crystal is concerned, a diamond tester would tell you for sure. About a tenner from eBay.

I've been meaning to get one for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    As far as the crystal is concerned, a diamond tester would tell you for sure. About a tenner from eBay.

I've been meaning to get one for ages.
    Thanks good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post
    Thanks good idea
    Or another way of testing is the simple water trick.
    Place a drop of water on the crystal. If the drop remains a single drop it’s sapphire, if the water spreads out over the crystal it’s mineral.

Re the movement, without taking the back off, it will be difficult to say for sure but I think 2019s were ETA.

Place a drop of water on the crystal. If the drop remains a single drop it’s sapphire, if the water spreads out over the crystal it’s mineral.

Re the movement, without taking the back off, it will be difficult to say for sure but I think 2019s were ETA.
    Yeah I don't think any tests required if it was from the 2019 batch, these changes were only made with the recent restock.

How does the cwc quartz compare in quality to the prs18q which is my every day beater. I’m a diver by trade and the 18q has taken everything I can throw at it. I’ve not had the battery changed for as long as I can remember.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Wouldn't that be affected by any external AR coating?

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Wouldn't that be affected by any external AR coating?
    Possible, if there were an external AR coating

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by comdiver View Post
    How does the cwc quartz compare in quality to the prs18q which is my every day beater. I’m a diver by trade and the 18q has taken everything I can throw at it. I’ve not had the battery changed for as long as I can remember.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I had a PRS18Q for a short while and wore it in rotation when I wasn't wearing my CWC quartz diver. I'm not a diver but .............. I thought the bezel on the PRS had very defined clicks and was much easier to grip and turn than the bezel on the CWC. The PRS bezel is slightly taller which helps in this regard. The action of the bezel was also a bit 'gritty' and I've seen others mention it as well.

The sandblasted case on the PRS makes it look much more of a 'beater'. Mine was in excellent condition but I would imagine the sandblasted finish would not mark so easily whereas the polished sides on the CWC would scratch easily. I preferred the overall look of the CWC and its slimmer case wore better for me so I sold the PRS. I found that it sat too tall on my wrist and was always catching on something. The lume on the CWC is better and more long lasting and I thought the PRS weak spot was the that the hands were not as bright as the lume plots around the dial unlike the CWC which is very readable. So, on balance, I would say the CWC has a better quality feel to it.
    Last edited by Eddiex; 19th June 2022 at 14:51.