closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CWC RN Diver - are they worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Yes I think so.

For the price you can get a very nice Seiko or similar, it's only the military attachment that draws interest from most IMO. Without that they are just a bog standard quartz watch.

I've owned quite a few military watches, usually bought in job lots, and to be honest I felt like an impostor wearing one as no branch of the military would ever have me . A bit Walt-like if you will.

As they say in the US (for more serious offences) "stolen valour."

This is the last one I had and was sold on here.

I felt the same about wearing military watches when I’ve never been in the services, I had this cwc but quickly sold it but did like the case shape reason why I brought the Aquadive one

CWC RN Diver - are they worth it?

Plenty of useful opinions on both sides, which is exactly what I wanted. I think this has confirmed that

a) I still want one
    b) they are a touch expensive new

So I’ will have to keep scouring the net for a lightly used one, in the hope of not taking too much of a haircut should I need to flip it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    I felt the same about wearing military watches when I’ve never been in the services, I had this cwc but quickly sold it but did like the case shape reason why I brought the Aquadive one

A useful range of opinions to mull over! I still want ones as well.

I also pondered the military link as I've not been in the services either but then I also consider that I've never been a deep sea diver or a pilot and I'd happily wear those style of watches without being, as someone mentioned earlier, a 'Walter'! I think I see a CWC divers as being discussed here as a rugged, well made divers watch that I can wear every day and has an interesting military /history connection. As mentioned by the OP and others on many posts the price seems a bit steep which brings negative feelings towards the brand.

Master
    I have no interest in “military” watches. I bought the CWC83 because I liked the design and extreme readability. For what you get, the price seemed acceptable.
    I no more think that wearing such a watch makes you a soldier than wearing a Speedy makes you an astronaut. I’m buying a Yachtmaster, and I don’t even own a pair of flippers, let alone a boat.
    You buy what you like, because you want to. Nothing more to it.

Along with what Eddie says below, I have not seen many pre-owned CWC RN divers listed for significantly less than new CWC prices.

Craftsman
    I agree - from the little research I've done the pre owned CWC divers appear to hold their value.

Craftsman
    Used to see the Zeno version quite often. Can’t seem to find one online anywhere!? Does anyone know any other alternatives to the CWC at reasonable prices?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I have no interest in “military” watches. I bought the CWC83 because I liked the design and extreme readability. For what you get, the price seemed acceptable.
    I no more think that wearing such a watch makes you a soldier than wearing a Speedy makes you an astronaut. I’m buying a Yachtmaster, and I don’t even own a pair of flippers, let alone a boat.
    You buy what you like, because you want to. Nothing more to it.
    This.

I love military watches for their ruggedness, utilitarian design and history.

I don't feel that I need to project or live up to a certain image when I wear one so there is no conflict for me in ownership.

Others may well feel the opposite, and that's OK of course, but its a shame that it precludes them from owning some excellent watches.

I have another CWC diver arriving today

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    This.

I love military watches for their ruggedness, utilitarian design and history.

I don't feel that I need to project or live up to a certain image when I wear one so there is no conflict for me in ownership.

Others may well feel the opposite, and that's OK of course, but its a shame that it precludes them from owning some excellent watches.

I have another CWC diver arriving today
    Well said. I feel no more a military imposter than I feel a fake yachtsman wearing nautical shoes, or wannabee racing driver wearing a chronograph, the list goes on.

Hmm is that the '83 incoming? Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post

The 83 diver. My favourite watch these days. I find it well-built and tough while having one of the best, easily read, dials in the business. And the quartz module is accurate with an unusually long battery life.
    Too expensive? Compared to what? It suits my taste, and replaced an SD43 with no effort at all.
    I’m struck by how CWC watches always seem to be referred to in terms of price, rather than what they offer. You can do an awful lot worse. Well, I’m happy anyway.
    I’ve just ordered a watch that costs vastly more, but my guess is i’l still wear the 83 more often. Somehow it’s just ‘right’. For me, anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Can I ask a slightly belated question?

You mention that the quartz module is accurate with an unusually long battery life. The blurb on the CWC website makes nothing of this and gives no details beyond saying it's a Ronda quartz movement. Can you/anyone give any more detail on the point?

Great photo btw - tempts me to splash out more than any of the official photos CWC provide!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TF23 View Post
    Can I ask a slightly belated question?

You mention that the quartz module is accurate with an unusually long battery life. The blurb on the CWC website makes nothing of this and gives no details beyond saying it's a Ronda quartz movement. Can you/anyone give any more detail on the point?

Great photo btw - tempts me to splash out more than any of the official photos CWC provide!
    That member sadly passed away earlier this year. He was a true watch enthusiast and a good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    That member sadly passed away earlier this year. He was a true watch enthusiast and a good guy.
    I am so sorry to hear that.

TF23

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

To try and answer your question the change from ETA movement to Renata has happened recently (paskinners watch had an ETA)
    Not quite sure what renata is now used but there are likely 2 reasons for the change
    1. ETA do not supply 3rd parties any more and they have likely exhausted their supply
    2. Renata are a fair bit cheaper - make of that what you will.

In terms of eta accuracy my old 2008 SBS has gained 5.2 seconds since the clocks changed.

I am sure the Renata would accurate with in a second a day or so.
    Battery life is on average 4/5 years for an ETA

My experience of Ronda movements are a battery life of 2/3 years
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 16th June 2022 at 18:54.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Paskinner? Really? If so that's a shock to me as I didn't realise. How sad to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    To try and answer your question the change from ETA movement to Renata has happened recently (paskinners watch had an ETA)
    Not quite sure what renata is now used but there are likely 2 reasons for the change
    1. ETA do not supply 3rd parties any more and they have likely exhausted their supply
    2. Renata are a fair bit cheaper - make of that what you will.

In terms of eta accuracy my old 2008 SBS has gained 5.2 seconds since the clocks changed.

I am sure the Renata would accurate with in a second a day or so.
    Battery life is on average 4/5 years for an ETA

My experience of Ronda movements are a battery life of 2/3 years
    Thanks for your comments. My main issue wasn't the accuracy but the battery life. As CWC make no claims to longer life battery performance on the website, I assume it's going to be a couple of years or so, as standard. With quartz, I'd prefer solar or long battery life, eg lithium, or a battery hatch a la G10 to make it foolproof for the owner to replace it himself. But I suppose it's a side issue at the end of the day.

Are there other changes to the '83 reissue since launch? The current version has mineral glass, but I seem to recall (perhaps wrongly) some reviewer having mentioned sapphire at some stage.

Let's face it, I'm strongly attracted to the idea of buying one but I'm slightly struggling with the price against specification. The more relevant issue is perhaps if I want a CWC '83 style RN diver it's either this or a far far more expensive vintage original ..

They do seem to have gone to some trouble to make an accurate recreation of a desirable model.

Are there other changes to the '83 reissue since launch? The current version has mineral glass, but I seem to recall (perhaps wrongly) some reviewer having mentioned sapphire at some stage.

Let's face it, I'm strongly attracted to the idea of buying one but I'm slightly struggling with the price against specification. The more relevant issue is perhaps if I want a CWC '83 style RN diver it's either this or a far far more expensive vintage original ..

They do seem to have gone to some trouble to make an accurate recreation of a desirable model.
    Again they changed spec relatively recently
    The reissues had sapphire and the standard models mineral
    Now all come with mineral as far as I am aware.
    The prices for all of them have jumped quite a bit in the last year
    I love a CWC diver, I have three currently. Would I buy one at the current price? No I don’t think I would. Not new anyway.
    The reissues scratch the itch of an original to a degree, but a 2000/2001 issued watch offers the best bang for buck for an actual issued watch at the moment. They can be had for around £1000 -£1200.

Mmmm… reissues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Again they changed spec relatively recently
    The reissues had sapphire and the standard models mineral
    Now all come with mineral as far as I am aware.
    The prices for all of them have jumped quite a bit in the last year
    I love a CWC diver, I have three currently. Would I buy one at the current price? No I don’t think I would. Not new anyway.
    The reissues scratch the itch of an original to a degree, but a 2000/2001 issued watch offers the best bang for buck for an actual issued watch at the moment. They can be had for around £1000 -£1200.
    Yes, I see one has only just been advertised on SC, for £1150 (now gone).

Perhaps a pity I didn't do my research a few days earlier!

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Mmmm… reissues.

You are not making it easy for me ..

Yes, I see one has only just been advertised on SC, for £1150 (now gone).

Perhaps a pity I didn't do my research a few days earlier!
    Yep
    I was very tempted by it.

So, trying to look at the current CWC in-stock offering objectively, there is the non-issued Mk 1 RN diver for £550

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...h-rn300-p-qm60

or the '83 reissue for £899

https://www.cwcwatch.com/collections...y-divers-watch

and there are no technical upgrades for your extra £349 above what is already a fruity price for the Mk 1, just different styling (albeit attractive in my mind).

In fact, it seems that the ordinary, cheaper version has a superior movement ("Highly accurate and reliable ETA F06.402 Heavy drive / Preci drive Swiss quartz movement"), whereas the '83 reissue has an unspecified Ronda movement.

Have I got that right?!

Master

RN300-P QM60

I recently purchased one of these new and am very happy with it. I know they've recently gone up from 499 to 550 but imo £550 for a 300 m ETA quartz diver is good going.

So, trying to look at the current CWC in-stock offering objectively, there is the non-issued Mk 1 RN diver for £550

and there are no technical upgrades for your extra £349 above what is already a fruity price for the Mk 1, just different styling (albeit attractive in my mind).

In fact, it seems that the ordinary, cheaper version has a superior movement ("Highly accurate and reliable ETA F06.402 Heavy drive / Preci drive Swiss quartz movement"), whereas the '83 reissue has an unspecified Ronda movement.

Have I got that right?!
    Yes I think you have got spot on

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    I recently purchased one of these new and am very happy with it. I know they've recently gone up from 499 to 550 but imo £550 for a 300 m ETA quartz diver is good going.
    Perhaps you're right there - I certainly find it easier to justify buying the Mk1 than the now-downgraded '83 reissue!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Have I got that right?!
    Yes, but …

versus

It's a tricky one

I missed the boat on these when they were cheap, although the MK1 was a lucky eBay purchase for a lot less than new, and it then took me ages to reconcile the product with the price. But my heart won out and all rational thoughts of value for money were dismissed.

I bought the SBS new, which stung, and the '83 wasn't much less as a used purchase, but the aesthetic appeal more than makes up for it IMO.

They're all just cracking watches with proper wrist presence and go anywhere, do anything build quality. And they keep looking better the more bashed up they get.

Yes, but …

versus

It's a tricky one

I missed the boat on these when they were cheap, although the MK1 was a lucky eBay purchase for a lot less than new, and it then took me ages to reconcile the product with the price. But my heart won out and all rational thoughts of value for money were dismissed.

I bought the SBS new, which stung, and the '83 wasn't much less as a used purchase, but the aesthetic appeal more than makes up for it IMO.

They're all just cracking watches with proper wrist presence and go anywhere, do anything build quality. And they keep looking better the more bashed up they get.
    Oh sh*t. Don't kick a man when he's down. The '83 reissue really does look the part doesn't it - but correct me if I'm wrong, that looks like the pre-downgrade model with sapphire crystal /ETA movement. I'd be prepared to give them £900 for that but it's no longer on offer of course. I suppose I'd better keep my eyes open for a second hand one, though I wouldn't think they come up all that often.

Worse things happen at sea, as they say.

I prefer the thicker minute hand but not to the tune of £300.

The mk1 standard looks overpriced next to say a scurfa but I love mine.

This hobby is rarely sensible so if you like it I doubt you’d be disappointed

Considering a destro sbs auto at some point in the future

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post

The mk1 standard looks overpriced next to say a scurfa but I love mine.
    I bought a Scurfa with the hope it would replace my 83. It was technically better in almost every way and a far better price point but the 83 reissue is just a lot prettier and more wearable. So the Scurfa went and the 83 stayed.

IMO the 80 reissue auto is the one to have.
    I think it’s the muts nuts looks wise.
    Not sure I’d want to spend £2K on one but keeping my eyes open
    for a pre-loved one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    for a pre-loved one.
    There is one on SC now!

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I bought a Scurfa with the hope it would replace my 83. It was technically better in almost every way and a far better price point but the 83 reissue is just a lot prettier and more wearable. So the Scurfa went and the 83 stayed.
    I had a Scurfa and an SBS quartz concurrently last year and - apart from the classic looks - the build quality and general feel of the Scurfa totally wiped the floor with the SBS - lume, crown action/feel, bezel - the finish was in a different league. Both gone now but I can see another Scurfa in my future. Now I’ve had the CWC I won’t bother with another. It’s a £300 watch in quartz form, maybe £750 in auto at a push but I just can’t see the value. Which is a shame as I do think the design is a stone cold classic!

There is one on SC now!
    From Croatia, I’ll wait for one closer to home me thinks.

Master
    Blog Entries

It's a nice no frills diver. Well made and rugged

Master
    Deleted

I owned one of the 83 reissues for a few days (bought and sold on the forum) which I only moved on due to my current love affair with the G10 case size and the diver wore a little too big for me.

The build quality was superb though, and I think the beautiful retro details and bulletproof practically make it a great watch at a reasonable price in todays market. As someone else has previously written - CWC do make the best reissues.

Whenever I read posts about CWC being overpriced I always think “have you seen how much Rolex want for a standard submariner these days”?! With that as a reference I think many other watches qualify as a bargain.

Apprentice
    for a pre-loved one.
    Agree. I have owned 3 CWC divers and this, for me, is the nicest.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Whenever I read posts about CWC being overpriced I always think “have you seen how much Rolex want for a standard submariner these days”?! With that as a reference I think many other watches qualify as a bargain.
    Indeed, the cost of a submariner service alone would buy a new cwc. And the cwc would almost certainly be more accurate and robust.

For what I was looking for, the current auto date compared favorably to other divers in the same price range.

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Agree. I have owned 3 CWC divers and this, for me, is the nicest.
    Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    For what I was looking for, the current auto date compared favorably to other divers in the same price range.

There should be a forum rule when posting pics of watches that you also have to tell us what straps they're wearing

Master
    There should be a forum rule when posting pics of watches that you also have to tell us what straps they're wearing
    Great idea.

Great idea.
    Yes that’s a great idea! I’ll adopt it myself from now on!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    I owned one of the 83 reissues for a few days (bought and sold on the forum) which I only moved on due to my current love affair with the G10 case size and the diver wore a little too big for me.

The build quality was superb though, and I think the beautiful retro details and bulletproof practically make it a great watch at a reasonable price in todays market. As someone else has previously written - CWC do make the best reissues.

I’m not sure it’s relevant to use the lunatic prices of a modern Rolex as a benchmark tbh - just because they are now the price of a decent car doesn’t make anything cheaper a bargain imho!

Excellent! Does anyone know what canvas the ‘80 reissue is wearing?

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m not sure it’s relevant to use the lunatic prices of a modern Rolex as a benchmark tbh - just because they are now the price of a decent car doesn’t make anything cheaper a bargain imho!

Maybe, I guess what was referring to was the whole market shift in prices over the last 10 years or more, with a submariner being the most obvious reference. I think everyone has just jumped on the bandwagon. I can’t stand it, but I can see why it has happened. It’s a case of “relatively speaking” other watches could be considered a bargain.

Excellent! Does anyone know what canvas the ‘80 reissue is wearing?
    http://af0210strap.com/product/vbhygienic/

Master
    Surely the nearest comparison for the quartz is the Longines Hydroconquest, which is significantly more expensive. I have owned Scurfa too, mine was not of visibly or physically better quality and does not have an ETA movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Thank you.

Only available in 16mm

Journeyman

CWC 1980 Diver reissue (dark lume)

From Croatia, I’ll wait for one closer to home me thinks.
    Is Cheshire close enough? I have a virtually unused one which I'd be happy to let you have for the same price. As you can see I don't have enough points to use Sales Corner.

If you're interested please PM me for high res pictures, being an old git I've never figured out the TZ photo method.

Craftsman

CWC RN Diver - are they worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I had a Scurfa and an SBS quartz concurrently last year and - apart from the classic looks - the build quality and general feel of the Scurfa totally wiped the floor with the SBS - lume, crown action/feel, bezel - the finish was in a different league. Both gone now but I can see another Scurfa in my future. Now I’ve had the CWC I won’t bother with another. It’s a £300 watch in quartz form, maybe £750 in auto at a push but I just can’t see the value. Which is a shame as I do think the design is a stone cold classic!

This sums ups my feelings as well. I currently have a Scurfa Diver One and a CWC RN quartz. The lume and action of the bezel is excellent on the Scurfa, better than the CWC. I do however really like the way the CWC wears with it's very slightly thinner case. The Scurfa is a bargain, especially as a second hand purchase. Having said that, on balance, I absolutely love the dial of the CWC and whilst it costs much more I am tempted to sell both to help with the purchase of a 'reissue' CWC. It's madness really, but one thing I really like about the reissue models, is the slightly thicker minute hand. Is it worth the price .....................that I'm not sure about, but I do want one!

Last edited by Eddiex; 18th June 2022 at 12:12.

Crown & Buckle Chevron Adjustable for me: https://www.crownandbuckle.com/chevrontm-bond.html