closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Now this, from Dubois et Fils, is rather gorgeous. 99 pieces only

Now this, from Dubois et Fils, is rather gorgeous. 99 pieces only

I know nowt about it yet though, just literally dropped on Twitter five mins ago. Handsome as, isn't it? (Or perhaps not - eye of the beholder and all that). Will do some movement research...
    [IMG]Screenshot 2020-05-25 at 08.37.19 by Oscar India, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]Screenshot 2020-05-25 at 08.38.29 by Oscar India, on Flickr[/IMG]

...and there's one with a different dial, 33 pieces only.
    [IMG]Screenshot 2020-05-25 at 08.44.32 by Oscar India, on Flickr[/IMG]

And here's the link to the thing. Really struck by how vastly worse the watch looks in the on-site pictures than in the social media post. The movement history was interesting to me (although may be old hat to many of you wiser heads). https://duboisfils.ch/en/node/1849

Gorgeous piece but very peculiar name.

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    And here's the link to the thing. Really struck by how vastly worse the watch looks in the on-site pictures than in the social media post. The movement history was interesting to me (although may be old hat to many of you wiser heads). https://duboisfils.ch/en/node/1849
    Actually there's a little gallery link down below the specs where it looks lovely again - it's just that face-on shot used at the main pic which looks really weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Innit. I quite like the fact that because we in the UK use "bidy" as slang for an old woman it would be double fun to wear here. Here's what the company has to say about it...

The return of the Bidynator: DuBois et fils presents the DBF006 model series

The wait has come to an end! Almost 70 years after its invention, DuBois et fils is bringing back the first automatic movement with a double-sided winding rotor – the Bidynator – in its authentic form. These new models feature pioneering Bidynator movements from FELSA using the original 4007 N crafted in the 50s. DuBois et fils offers these valuable eyewitnesses of the Swiss watch industry accessible to each and every one who appreciates high-quality craft and beauty. The works have been meticulously and expertly disassembled, cleaned, checked, oiled and carefully regulated. The result: The Bidynator 4007 N plant has no need to shy away from comparison with today's automatic movements.

The story of the Bidynator

Unlike today, in the midst of the last century, small clockwork manufacturers in particular dominated the Swiss watch market. They continuously improved the quality of the works and developed new functions. Their innovations influenced the products of the big watch brands for decades.

Among the great innovators of the 40s and 50s was Friedrich Meyer. In 1942 he developed the first automatic movement with a double-sided winding rotor at the clockwork company FELSA in Grenchen. Under the name "Bidynator" it conquered the Swiss watch industry.

Very nice, bit pricey though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Agree, a granny Terminator?

free image hosting

Haha. Perfect. I want one of those Dubois' more than ever now.

Blog Entries
    There are cheaper ways for a similar look - & without the oddball name ... just one example

Granted, it’s not in the same league - but I do prefer the date location on this one

z

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Very nice, bit pricey though.

Agree, a granny Terminator?

free image hosting
    LOL

First thing that came to my mind is it's a nickname Joe Biden would invent in his presidential campaign.

42mm for a dress watch!

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    There are cheaper ways for a similar look - & without the oddball name ... just one example

Granted, it’s not in the same league - but I do prefer the date location on this one

z
    A Cricket with alarm is absolutely on my wish list and has been since I was lent one for a week a few years back. Gorgeous in every way.

Journeyman
    I have a couple of DuBois et Fils watches and they do look much better 'in the flesh' than on the company's website.

I've got to take one of my watches to them for a service shortly so will try on one of these new Bidynators while I'm there but I'm not sure about the 42mm size.

Quote Originally Posted by Shubs View Post
    I have a couple of DuBois et Fils watches and they do look much better 'in the flesh' than on the company's website.

I've got to take one of my watches to them for a service shortly so will try on one of these new Bidynators while I'm there but I'm not sure about the 42mm size.
    See if Thomas will let you take some pics. Would love to see a few more "real world" images of it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    See if Thomas will let you take some pics. Would love to see a few more "real world" images of it.

Will do.

Master

Now this, from Dubois et Fils, is rather gorgeous. 99 pieces only

Sorry everything about this watch appears garbage, never heard of this brand supposedly from 1785, the Dubois et fils Bidynator with a cleaned up 1950s movement... what the h is this?! The website looks like it was created by a high school kid. 3,400 pounds for this limited edition Bidynator?!!?

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Sorry everything about this watch appears garbage, never heard of this brand supposedly from 1785, the Dubois et fils Bidynator with a cleaned up 1950s movement... what the h is this?! The website looks like it was created by a high school kid. 3,400 pounds for this limited edition Bidynator?!!?
    One of the refired old names. I had one of theirs for a week or so about four years back for a piece I was writing. It was okay, but not quite my bag and if memory serves if was knocking on £5k, which was too much for what it was. But it wasn't as simple as this one. Think they're effectively a one man band. Page & Cooper had them for a while.

Master
    I'll just settle for my bidynator that cost all of about thirty quid.

Master
    It is rather handsome, would be just a little more so without the date.