closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Well - this makes a refreshing change (thanks IWC).

Blog Entries

Well - this makes a refreshing change (thanks IWC).

From the 2020 instructions manual:

https://www.iwc.com/content/dam/rcq/.../3/2036383.pdf

“The optimal service cycle for your IWC timepiece is exclusive to your watch and unique lifestyle. The necessary interval between services will be determined by your individual wearing habits – such as the frequency of wear, the environment(s) you live in and the intensity of physical activity you engage in. Therefore, we simply recommend that you continue wearing your watch for as long as you please and to only entrust it for a service if you notice a deviation from the regular performance, function or timekeeping.“

Makes a change from often recommended 3 to 5 years between services.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 24th May 2020 at 22:00.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That’s nice to know.

Craftsman
    It's about time they started saying that, good for them that they are the first to do it.

About time a manufacturer says it right! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks
    S

Master
    Wow, that is indeed a striking move from one of the big names.

Craftsman
    What’s is needed ... is a little led display that shows a spanner when a service is due, except on these mechanical marvels it would be better as a pictured revealed on the dial at the appropriate time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Fantastic news from IWC.

Surprised they didn’t put a caveat in for gasket integrity.

Craftsman
    That is really refreshing. I'm pleasantly surprised.

But yeah, the caveat to that would be if you're getting it wet, you need the seals checked once a year, or it's on your head...

Thanks for sharing that, refreshing to see it officially stated by IWC

Craftsman
    Fantastic declaration from IWC. Mark xviii looks lot more tempting now.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Master
    So IWC effectively put all responsibility on the customer, and this is good news? What happens when customers try to use the new eight-year guarantee, only to be told the watch has not been properly maintained? Because there is no specified servicing, there is no safeguard period for the customer.
    I see this as a pretty cynical move; after all, if you apply for servicing only when the watch begins playing up, you’ve already left it too late......invalid guarantee.
    And since when were servicing intervals compulsory anyway?

Journeyman
    I would only ever service a watch when it stopped working or displayed serious time deficiencies.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    So IWC effectively put all responsibility on the customer, and this is good news? What happens when customers try to use the new eight-year guarantee, only to be told the watch has not been properly maintained? Because there is no specified servicing, there is no safeguard period for the customer.
    I see this as a pretty cynical move; after all, if you apply for servicing only when the watch begins playing up, you’ve already left it too late......invalid guarantee.
    Interesting point, it would be interesting to know the warranty/guarantee terms and how that is worded too

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    See terms below for exact wording. No mention of “having it properly maintained”.

Quote Originally Posted by DANH View Post
    Interesting point, it would be interesting to know the warranty/guarantee terms and how that is worded too
    https://www.iwc.com/content/dam/rcq/.../9/1918369.pdf

Terms are pretty standard and available on their site - and can be extended to eight years on registration.

IWC warrants its product against defects in materials and manufacturing for a period of twenty-four (24) months from the date of purchase stated on your original invoice and/or the warranty booklet (the “Warranty Period”). If the product is returned during the Warranty Period, IWC will repair or replace any defective watch or part free of charge within a reasonable time after the product is returned, subject to the exclusions mentioned hereunder and to the right to charge for shipping costs. Upon expiration of the Warranty Period, any repairs will be subject to a service charge.

How to obtain service
    You may obtain service by bringing or sending the watch in the original labelled container/box to your authorized IWC boutique, IWC retailer or to any IWC service centre. You may be responsible for transportation costs, including, but not limited to, postage, insurance and packing materials. We recommend that any shipments to us include certified delivery and insurance.

In order to obtain service through this IWC International Warranty, the returned watch must be accompanied by the original IWC International Warranty card/certificate that was included with the watch in the container/ box at the time of purchase, duly completed, dated, stamped and signed by an authorized IWC boutique or IWC retailer. This IWC International Warranty card/certificate may only be completed by an authorized IWC boutique or IWC retailer.

What is not covered under the IWC International Warranty
    The IWC International Warranty does not cover:
    (a) defects and damages due to loss, theft, flood, earthquake or fire, or
    other causes beyond our control;
    (b) defects and damages resulting from misuse or negligence, or from
    accident;
    (c) defects and damages caused by improper use (knocks; dents; crushing to the case, crystal, bracelet or strap, etc.), alterations (functionality or capability), tampering, dismantling, modifications, or services and repairs completed by anyone other than an authorized IWC boutique, IWC retailer or IWC service centre, or by the use of components other than those recommended by IWC;
    (d) defects and damages due to normal wear and tear;
    (e) watches where the serial number originally imprinted on the watch
    case is removed or not clearly legible, or where any part of the original watch back or any original number has been removed, changed, altered, replaced, erased or defaced;
    (f) lack of accuracy of the watch if within the limits of average industry tolerance;
    (g) routine maintenance and cleaning.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    That is really refreshing. I'm pleasantly surprised.

But yeah, the caveat to that would be if you're getting it wet, you need the seals checked once a year, or it's on your head...
    yep. That really applies to any watch you plan to use in water as seals etc can deteriorate over time and it’s a quick check for any reputable boutique / dealer.

On that topic again IWC is refreshing too - (wrt is often a marketing tool anyway)

“The water-resistance of IWC watches is shown in bar and not in metres. Metres, which are often used elsewhere in the watch industry to indicate water-resistance, cannot be equated with the dive depth because of the test procedures that are frequently used. By way of explanation: an IWC watch with an indicated water-resistance of 1 bar is protected against splashing water. With water-resistance of 3 bar, the watch can be worn when swimming or skiing, and at 6 bar it will have no problem with water sports or snorkelling. Diver’s watches with an indicated water-resistance of 12 to 20 bar are professional measuring instruments designed for scuba-diving. Special diver’s watches resistant to 100 bar or, as in the case of the Aquatimer Automatic 2000, 200 bar are suitable even for deep-sea diving. The recommended uses for IWC watches, depending on the degree of water-resistance, are established on this basis and on the basis of empirical data.”

Journeyman
    So what if a part of the movement not directly engaged in the gear train is wearing away, such as part of the keyless work or automatic winding? Timekeeping may not be affected for a long time, if at all. But come service time when the daily rate is dropping away, it will presumably be more expensive as more parts need replacing. For me this takes you back to the original debate about pre-preemptive servicing without answering it. Who benefits, Richemont?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallang View Post
    So what if a part of the movement not directly engaged in the gear train is wearing away, such as part of the keyless work or automatic winding? Timekeeping may not be affected for a long time, if at all. But come service time when the daily rate is dropping away, it will presumably be more expensive as more parts need replacing. For me this takes you back to the original debate about pre-preemptive servicing without answering it. Who benefits, Richemont?
    That wasn’t the debate - I was just stating what is in the IWC booklets now.

For debate purposes.
    Defects due to normal wear and tear are not covered by warranty. So it depends if this is abnormal wear and tear if it’s a warranty issue. Either way - it’s up to the consumer to get it serviced. Some prefer pre-emptive, some prefer as needed.

I feel it is refreshing that the manufacturer realises there are different wear patterns e.g. that some people buy a watch and wear it daily for eight years - and are covered by manufacturers warranty during that time, but may want it serviced perhaps after three to five years since it is getting daily wear.

Some (most on this forum I think) wear a watch very much less than this, so may not want to get it serviced so frequently. They still have the eight year warranty though.

I will leave it to the reader to find out what is included in a normal service by IWC - seems like any worn parts are replaced with like for like, as part of a standard service.

https://www.iwc.com/en/services/complete-service.html

I think they have upped their game after some bad press? What are people’s recent experiences with Richmond /IWC recently? Richmond own VC and I have had great service from them in my experience. They have (had) on-site watchmakers to regulate / check / service

Thanks Martyn for the terms, so I’d like to think they would honour warranty claims within warranty period then regardless of service history. Other than extreme exceptions perhaps.

Makes sense and agree with IWC and above posters - with the caveat that there comes a point in time where it is actually more economical to get it serviced regardless of performance.

By this I mean that there is ongoing wear to parts, and degradation to oils, from the moment of production. Wear can be invidious until it causes an issue. The cost of replacing parts at that point can be more expensive than an interim service.

Much like servicing a car, you shouldn't wait until it breaks down to get a service.

I wouldn't go beyond 10 years regardless of performance.

Congrats on a great watch, btw!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelgecko View Post
    Makes sense and agree with IWC and above posters - with the caveat that there comes a point in time where it is actually more economical to get it serviced regardless of performance.

By this I mean that there is ongoing wear to parts, and degradation to oils, from the moment of production. Wear can be invidious until it causes an issue. The cost of replacing parts at that point can be more expensive than an interim service.

Much like servicing a car, you shouldn't wait until it breaks down to get a service.

I wouldn't go beyond 10 years regardless of performance.

Congrats on a great watch, btw!
    There is no such thing as an interim service from IWC. At service any worn parts are replaced like for like (at set price for the service - I doubt the mass produced parts amount to much of the total cost of the service).

(I don’t own an IWC at the moment), like you though I’d probably not go past 10y of ownership before a service, or earlier if timing starts drifting too much.

current prices are here if you’re interested

https://www.iwc.com/content/dam/serv...icelist_EN.pdf