closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster scratch

Craftsman

Speedmaster scratch

Hi folks,
    Recently acquired speedmaster. There's a mark where the crytsal meets the bezel at the bottom. Not sure if it's the hesalite or bezel.

Watch was serviced 18 months ago so don't want to send to Omega. Would it be something a watchmaker could fix?

Thanks,
    Mick

Master
    To me it looks like a fracture in the crystal, caused by stress possibly, If that's the case then only a new crystal would sort it out, I think.

Craftsman
    I don't know. The rest of the crystal looks fine. Would take quite a whack to fracture it?

Craftsman
    Some different angles pictures

Last edited by micks_address; 24th May 2020 at 17:26.

Hesalite crystal edge fracture

I hope you can find someone who will change the crystal without demanding a full service, otherwise it's going to get expensive.

Craftsman
    If it is an edge fracture. Would water from hand washing etc effect the watch? Also what would I be looking at for a replacement hesalite?

Thanks,
    Mick

Grand Master
    Get yourself a strong magnifier and have a proper look, there’s no way anybody can give definitive advice based on the information you’re giving.

It’s possible the crystal has been scratched, it’s also possible the crystal is cracked. An acrylic crystal is under tension and can crack.

If the crystal is marked but not cracked, removal of the bezel will enable it to be repolished without removal. This is a job for someone who knows what they’re doing. the bezel can be removed easily with the right tools but it does require care.

Craftsman
    Thanks I'll get a local watchmaker to check it out once they are open again (Dublin)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    Thanks I'll get a local watchmaker to check it out once they are open again (Dublin)
    In the meantime get yourself a strong magnifier, they’re cheap enough, and have a proper look. Sometimes it pays to know the answer when you ask the question, a repairer will sort it out but be sure you aren’t being ripped off.

Its possible that the bezel needs removing to see exactly what the mark is, I woukdn’t try that, but its definitely worth having a good yourself.

Craftsman
    eBay for a magnifier?

I assume it's ok to wear the watch? There's no hint of moisture etc inside the glass. It's not hugely noticable so I'd be happy enough to wait a few years and maybe get repaired at next service?

Thanks,
    Mick

Craftsman
    I noticed a similar thread on Omega forums

https://omegaforums.net/threads/help...crystal.71834/

It does look like a stress fracture/crack. I would think you'd be okay with light rain. Anything more than that, and I'd be worried being that it's such a great watch.

Craftsman
    Thanks,
    I don't ever intend wearing in water. I'm sending my aqua Terra back to omega for a service and new crystal so I'll ask about a new crystal for this as well. Don't want a service as it's been done recently.
    Thanks,
    Mick

Grand Master
    It's possible that the edge of the crystal got burred during installation and that's creating the illusion of a crack. The one and only crystal I`ve ever fitted to one of these was genuine Omega and it was difficult to fit, very tight. Sometimes the edge of the crystal can catch on the case it if doesn`t go in smoothly, it this happens the burr should be polished out before installation. It's possible that the crystal would need removing for inspection to confirm exactly what the mark is. Another possibility is that the crystal was fitted with the bezel in place (possible, but not something I`d do) and the edge of the crystal got roughed up against the bezel edge.

If you can find a jeweller, watch repairer in Dublin who knows what he's doing it can be sorted out, but getting a new genuine Omega crystal could prove difficult. The alternative is to find an Omega accredited repairer with an Omega parts account who could replace the crystal with a genuine one, Duncan Potter at Genesis would probably do this but that means shipping the watch to England. I don`t know of anyone in Eire who's accredited for Omega repairs so perhaps a chat to Duncan is in order, he'll be happy to service your other Omega too, he'll charge less than Omega Service Centre and I`d trust him to do a first class job. A one man band stands or falls on the quality of his work, that does tend to focus the mind. Having just assembled a beautiful vintage 1950 gold Omega tonight I can vouch for that.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 24th May 2020 at 21:53.

Craftsman
    Thanks I've talked to Duncan before but unfortunately he has a strict uk only receive/return policy. I'd absolutely love to send both watches his way.
    Last edited by micks_address; 24th May 2020 at 22:22.

Journeyman
    Again it means posting to the UK but I have had good results from this Omega approved service center.

https://swisstimeservices.co.uk/

Otherjohn

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I hope you can find someone who will change the crystal without demanding a full service, otherwise it's going to get expensive.
    I’d take it to Omega first. It wouldn’t surprise me if they changed the Crystal for free. Their customer service really is second to none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks folks,

I'm going to have a local watchmaker check it out. I don't think there's any moisture risk to wearing it day to day. Best case he can remove the bezel and its a scratch on the crystal that can be buffed out. I wouldn't be too bothered if its just a scratch but if its a crack i probably would get it repaired in case of long term damage

Cheers,
    Mick

Get a pressure test from a local watchmaker or show repair place. If no issues, then ignore until service due. It's only noticeable under close inspection, unless it bugs you so much to give it up for several weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
    Thanks folks,

I'm going to have a local watchmaker check it out. I don't think there's any moisture risk to wearing it day to day. Best case he can remove the bezel and its a scratch on the crystal that can be buffed out. I wouldn't be too bothered if its just a scratch but if its a crack i probably would get it repaired in case of long term damage

Cheers,
    Mick

Craftsman
    Got my speedmaster back today from local watch repairer

Needed new crystal and new minute recorder.

Old crytsal

Was cracked when I bought the watch. I thought it was just a scratch. Don't think the seller or myself realised.

Also if you look at the minute recorder hand it's not right. I sourced original parts from eBay and he fitted..he said crystal very tight on all speedmasters so pain to fit.

Delighted to have the watch back. I think it's a good sign that I had serious separation anxiety while it was away!

Cheers,
    Mick