closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Precista PRS-14 Review

Master

Precista PRS-14 Review

So I was on the lookout for one of these for a looong time!
    Having previously experienced the borealis estoril I was impressed but never quite gelled so I let it go.
    The PRS 14 is a very different animal and I am really impressed!
    When I was doing my research I didn’t find many reviews around so decided to add one more to the mix.
    Enjoy!

https://www.speedychronos.com/post/p...age-done-right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that, thanks. I've often wondered whether I should do it again.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Personally I would love you to do another run of these Eddie.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    I am sure it would sell like hot cakes Eddie, it really is a great watch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It Is a classic in design. Funnily enough, I have owned three PRS-14, three Borealis Estoril and three Omega SM300. Obviously the Omega is a class apart, but it is ten times the price of the other two and that's just for a Watchco. Many more times for a nice original.

The crown was always an issue on the PRS-14, so if it was ever done again I think that would need to be addressed.

Master
    Many have mixed feeling on aged lume, I do too but this may work with some aged lume, it was good on the prs-82

I’d love to see another run of this one too. A lightly aged lume option as well would be awesome

With all the new publicity they will go like hot cakes.

Anyone remember the PVD ones? They rocked.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs...n-2242425.html
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

I wasn’t even aware these existed... they look so cool

Enjoyed the reviews of both the PRS14 & 82.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It Is a classic in design. Funnily enough, I have owned three PRS-14, three Borealis Estoril and three Omega SM300. Obviously the Omega is a class apart, but it is ten times the price of the other two and that's just for a Watchco. Many more times for a nice original.

The crown was always an issue on the PRS-14, so if it was ever done again I think that would need to be addressed.
    + 1 only negative a slightly fiddly crown for the more ham fisted of us .

How have I been here for years and years and never knew about these?

I have one of the original batch and wholeheartedly agree that any new versions should have a more usable crown.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    I have one of the original batch and wholeheartedly agree that any new versions should have a more usable crown.
    Is the crown still ok in yours? I am starting to worry now!

I find myself missing my PRS-14, a newer version would be a fine thing. (Minus the fiddly crown.)
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Is the crown still ok in yours? I am starting to worry now! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was a problem, especially once the threads stripped. I’ve since had it replaced but it’s still not very easy to use.

Apprentice
    I'd definitely purchase one of these! I've been on the lookout for one for ages now but never seen one for sale.

Eddie
    Yes please

Journeyman
    Eddie, if you do another one, can you please make an antimagnetic dive watch? There are very few available that are 40mm in size and less than $1000. In fact I do not know of any. The ones I can think of are 44mm in size.

Doesn't need to be this design, just any dive watch 40mm or less size.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

And the acrylic crystal. Mine cracked and I remember hearing of others. Eddie kindly fixed mine, but if there were ever to be a new version, which would be superb, an upgrade to a sapphire crystal would be amazing.

Eddie
    Yes, please! :-)

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Let me just say that if I did, it would have a bigger crown.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

Eddie
    I'd be a fan.

Count me in...

Eddie
    I would not see that a problem/issue.

Craftsman

Eddie
    Count me in !!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Eddie
    It would be great if you ran off a few extra crowns and pendants at the same time, they'd be a popular retrofit item...

Please.

Master
    Definitely would have thought a MkII version of this should be done 👍😎

Had and passed on two of these. Very stupid.
    They are wonderful on a tan Timefactors Aviator or a black Di Modell Rally.
    It was said to me a decade ago on this forum, “if you can’t stretch to a Seamaster or Rolex Submariner, then the PRS-14 is next best”. That was right. Bring it back!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlymambo View Post
    Eddie, if you do another one, can you please make an antimagnetic dive watch? There are very few available that are 40mm in size and less than $1000. In fact I do not know of any. The ones I can think of are 44mm in size.

Doesn't need to be this design, just any dive watch 40mm or less size.

thanks.

You might take a look at this one >>>>-------> https://www.timefactors.com/prs52.htm and this one >>>>-------> https://www.timefactors.com/prs68willard.htm as both are equipped with full coverage antimagnetic Faraday Cages.

Regarding all the comments in this thread about the original TF Precista PRS-14's screw-down crown, what always makes sense to me is using a good quality Rolex generic specification "TripLock" OysterCrown/Tube set for their maintainability and the universal availability of replacement parts for what will someday likely be a discontinued divers watch. The Rolex patents on this technologically beautiful screw-down crown&tube design, or system, have long since expired.
    Last edited by Rollon; 20th August 2020 at 15:15.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollon View Post
    You might take a look at this one >>>>-------> https://www.timefactors.com/prs52.htm and this one >>>>-------> https://www.timefactors.com/prs68willard.htm as both are equipped with full coverage antimagnetic Faraday Cages.

Regarding all the comments in this thread about the original TF Precista PRS-14's screw-down crown, what always makes sense to me is using a good quality Rolex generic specification "TripLock" OysterCrown/Tube set for their maintainability and the universal availability of replacement parts for what will someday likely be a discontinued divers watch. The Rolex patents on this technologically beautiful screw-down crown&tube design, or system, have long since expired.
    I guess this is why it was used in the PRS-82?

I had two PVD and one normal. One of the PVD went in a trade. The second one needs a new crystal (it's third) I have the crystal but my watchmaker retired and I can't find a new one.

Master
    Is the crown still ok in yours? I am starting to worry now!.........
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    It was a problem, especially once the threads stripped. I’ve since had it replaced but it’s still not very easy to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    It would be great if you ran off a few extra crowns and pendants at the same time, they'd be a popular retrofit item...........
    ...................Regarding all the comments in this thread about the original TF Precista PRS-14's screw-down crown, what always makes sense to me is using a good quality Rolex generic specification "TripLock" OysterCrown/Tube set for their maintainability and the universal availability of replacement parts for what will someday likely be a discontinued divers watch. The Rolex patents on this technologically beautiful screw-down crown&tube design, or system, have long since expired.
    I guess this is why it was used in the PRS-82?..........................

Great revue of the PRS-14, BTW. Though I can see from Eddie's spec sheet/diagram of the '82 showing its internal construction that it has the same engineering features of the Rolex "TripLock" version of the OysterCrown, I don't know if the actual specifications allow interchangeability with the Rolex and Rolex "generic" parts (great if it would, though!).

The net famous "Dr. Seiko" often repaired the stripped, etc., factory crown tubes of SKX series and other Seiko divers with the full on conversion to the Rolex generic TripLock crown & tube parts for perpetual maintainability. One member here once wrote of Dr. Seiko retrofitting his Zeno Explorer (ZEX) with the TripLock crown & its special screwed-in tube (i.e. "pendant") that is the key to this crown design's almost limitless capacity to be "rejuvenated" when damaged or worn.

If the original PRS-14's case was factory spec'ed with a 2.5mm or smaller diameter unthreaded hole for it's stock pressed-in crown tube, then I think these older '14s might just possibly be perfect candidates for conversion to the TripLock crown and tube system.

You might lose a bit of the Omega aesthetics, though, and I imagine that might be of concern to some

Master
    Great revue of the PRS-14, BTW. Though I can see from Eddie's spec sheet/diagram of the '82 showing its internal construction that it has the same engineering features of the Rolex "TripLock" version of the OysterCrown, I don't know if the actual specifications allow interchangeability with the Rolex and Rolex "generic" parts (great if it would, though!).

The net famous "Dr. Seiko" often repaired the stripped, etc., factory crown tubes of SKX series and other Seiko divers with the full on conversion to the Rolex generic TripLock crown & tube parts for perpetual maintainability. One member here once wrote of Dr. Seiko retrofitting his Zeno Explorer (ZEX) with the TripLock crown & its special screwed-in tube (i.e. "pendant") that is the key to this crown design's almost limitless capacity to be "rejuvenated" when damaged or worn.

If the original PRS-14's case was factory spec'ed with a 2.5mm or smaller diameter unthreaded hole for it's stock pressed-in crown tube, then I think these older '14s might just possibly be perfect candidates for conversion to the TripLock crown and tube system.

You might lose a bit of the Omega aesthetics, though, and I imagine that might be of concern to some
    I recently managed to get my hands on a seamaster watchco and the crown feels much more substantial than the one in the PRS 14. It is worth mentioning though that the mid case is much slimmer than the Precista and the screw down crown on the watchcos was only introduced after the niad one which was slimmer

I recently managed to get my hands on a seamaster watchco and the crown feels much more substantial than the one in the PRS 14. It is worth mentioning though that the mid case is much slimmer than the Precista and the screw down crown on the watchcos was only introduced after the niad one which was slimmer

The only problem with a Watchco is that if you send it back to Omega for service, you won't get it back because all the donor parts are from different watches and even possibly not all original.

Eddie

Master
    The only problem with a Watchco is that if you send it back to Omega for service, you won't get it back because all the donor parts are from different watches and even possibly not all original.

Eddie
    Valid point although there seem to be a few different opinions out there on whether omega will service it or not.
    Apparently omega has indeed serviced watchco watches and probably watchmakers with swatch group accounts might be able to.

Eddie
    Omega serviced mime no problems and I got it back. Also got a spare plexiglass crystal.

Eddie
    Count me in!

Why the **** did I ever sell mine?

Gross stupidity, that's why!

Blog Entries
    So I was on the lookout for one of these for a looong time!
    Having previously experienced the borealis estoril I was impressed but never quite gelled so I let it go.
    The PRS 14 is a very different animal and I am really impressed!
    When I was doing my research I didn’t find many reviews around so decided to add one more to the mix.
    Enjoy!

https://www.speedychronos.com/post/p...age-done-right

You could always try the PRS 3 ?
    Granted it's not exactly a seamster 300 but the DNA and aesthetic is there

https://www.timefactors.com/precistaprs3.htm

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    You could always try the PRS 3 ?
    Granted it's not exactly a seamster 300 but the DNA and aesthetic is there

https://www.timefactors.com/precistaprs3.htm
    That model is discontinued.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Craftsman
    It's a beauty:

Quote Originally Posted by smoz View Post
    It's a beauty:
    Stunning!

I really hope Eddie plans for more of these.

Eddie
    I bought the parts for my Seamaster 300 build through Cousins when they were selling them without restriction. All official Omega spare parts in sealed Omega packaging (case, dial, hands). I would imagine Watchco just did the same but on an industrial scale. There were other classic models you could build in the same way - if I recall there were Plo-Prof and Speedy Pro spares available too - just add the movement.

I assume they're the same parts they'd use on a vintage Seamaster 300 if you returned it for service at Omega. The 552 movement I used is from an old gold-plated Seamaster dress watch though. But definitely an Omega movement - the serials check out.

But I can see Omega's reluctance to service such items - it's an interesting conundrum. I'm surprised they ever allowed such a situation to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Stunning!

I really hope Eddie plans for more of these.

I hope he doesn’t, quite refreshing having a piece which isn’t seen too often lol...

Lovely looking piece, I'm another who would be interested.

Sent from my HRY-LX1T using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Enjoyed that review, and a lovely watch.. be interesting to cost it today with the same spec, case and movement.
    Suspect it would be a lot more expensive now..
    If it was to come, I'd be in the queue at 2.00 Sunday

The answer to that is a resounding YES!

Eddie

Apprentice
    I’m relatively new to the world of Timefactors and Eddie. I’ve been trying to educate myself on past models, and the prs-14 (to me) is one of the highlights of the back catalog.

Journeyman
    +1 for the PRS 14....

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk