closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Need advice for my next buy, please! Scurfa vs. Seiko or CWC SBS

Apprentice

Question Need advice for my next buy, please! Scurfa vs. Seiko or CWC SBS

Hi,

I need advice on my next purchase. It should be a diving watch again, as a daily beater and more in the normal price segment. I am currently thinking of a SCURFA Diver One or a Seiko SKX007 K2. Maybe (after saving more funds) an issued CWC SBS, also. With SCURFA, I'm not sure if it's just marketing. On the other hand, I find the history of the manufacturer very interesting. Also he is UK based. But also I saw a lot of members, who sold their SCURFA watches in the PX.

Whats your opinion? Why do many of today's dive watches actually have a quartz movement when it comes to safety-related issues? Does it have any advantages? Does anyone have underwater experiences with the watches?

Thanks for Euro efforts!

Mi

I can’t speak to why people sell but personally I’m on my fourth Scurfa and they are great. My kids have taken over a few of the older iterations though.
    The newest is a d1-500 with polished chamfers and it’s great. It really offers good value and it is difficult to not compare other watches to it.

Further I would say that quartz is a favourite because it’s cheap and a lot less sensitive to shocks than an automatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like Scurfa.

Whilst I’ve never actually owned one, I’ve researched them a lot.

The story is compelling - owned, designed & tested by a saturation diver, with his wife helping out with posting, enquiries etc. I like the personal aspect of the brand.

Plus, it’s the only instance of a Helium Escape Valve actually holding any appeal for me.

Their watches have some nice little touches that show the design has been really thought through - large hands that are highly legible & well-lumed; well proportioned; domed sapphire crystal; crown with 4 gaskets; single-shoulder spring bars with drilled lugs; shipping box that is both clever & practical.

In June they’ll be issuing their M.S.20 edition, limited to 100 pieces, individually numbered, cased in titanium, with both rubber & NATO straps.

Quartz makes sense for a true tool watch, designed to be used, and it’s a half-decent Swiss Ronda movement.

The CWC I had was lovely. Almost perfect but I couldn’t get over the fact it was £500 or so more than the Scurfas I’ve had and there wasn’t much if any difference in quality. Certainly not £500 difference.

My one nitpick complaint about the scurfa is I’d rather a double domed or flat crystal. Not a fan of the distortion on the current crystal.

Need to get another....

Master
    I have owned all three watches mentioned and I had a Zeno PRS3 which I let go last week which I similar to the CWC. The scurfa remains and is in my opinion probably one of the best value watches out there. Great as a grab and go mine is the older 300m quartz version, I’m semi tempted to get a second in due course although I’m trying to reign in the number watches of watches I own.

Also if you do move it on I can’t see you losing a fortune on it.

Having had all 3 I think it’s down to whether you want a steel strap option?

If so then Seiko, if not CWC

The only other point is it’s not a fair comparison as the CWC is double the price of the other two, depending which Scurfa your looking at....

Any photos?

Craftsman
    Well, I'm far from an expert and I've only fairly recently joined this particular forum but I have been lurking for some time on others whilst garnering some knowledge. I wanted a solid piece to wear every day and I wanted a quartz. I was pointed in the direction of Scurfa watches.

I don't have a big budget to spend on watches so I have to purchase carefully. I waited patiently and one popped up second hand with a Scurfa bracelet for a good price. I only have a Christopher Ward, which is my 'smart' watch, to compare it too.

As a newbie to the hobby I am extremely impressed with my Scurfa - It's one of the earlier models (Diver One ND513ND).

https://www.scurfawatches.com/produc...3rd-blue-300m/

It has the old radium lume which some like and others don't! It also came with a Scurfa rubber strap which is very comfortable and I wear it with this all the time. Great quality and very good lume. As mentioned the crystal does have a bit of distortion to it but I see that as part of the charm of the watch and isn't a problem for me.
    All of the 'knowledgeable' people seem to rave about the Scurfa watch range and the value that they offer and I have to say I agree - it's great!

My praise comes with one caveat though!! I was also (and have been for some time!) eyeing up a CWC Divers. It was on my short list to buy but the price kept me from getting one. Having now got my Scurfa I still want a CWC! I guess that's normal for this business?!

Sometimes you need to get want you really want within reason and cut out the 'middle journey'!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    Having had all 3 I think it’s down to whether you want a steel strap option?

If so then Seiko, if not CWC

The only other point is it’s not a fair comparison as the CWC is double the price of the other two, depending which Scurfa your looking at....
    I would say that the Scurfa bracelet outshines what Seiko offers in this price bracket

Craftsman

The Scurfa strap also has a divers extension in it which I have been told is a bonus at this price point.

Craftsman

My photography skills are rubbish compared to others but you get the idea!

I've owned all three brands. The Scurfa I tried on and put it back in the box about 5 minutes later- I sold it within the week. I found it a too chunky and hated the glare-prone crystal.

The Seiko (an SKX009) I kept for about six months. I bought it new in spite of the fact I dislike the date function and it had a day/date. It looked nice but time-keeping wasn't great and the fact it could not be hand wound to get it started were bothersome. It was also a bit thicker than I prefer.

I've owned a half dozen CWC divers and currently have three - a matte 2012 T dial quartz, a 2002 auto and a 2018 no date SBS. I'll likely pare it down to one when I buy a new house in a few years but am currently happy to wear all three.

As mentioned the Zeno PRS-3/4 is a good alternative to the CWC except that the sapphire crystal is prone to glare (as is my current SBS with its sapphire crystal).

SBS, auto and quartz

Personally, I’d pick up an ‘L’ dial SBS. I wear mine regularly and bought it from a commercial diver. Here’s his review on a slightly newer version: https://www.ablogtowatch.com/cwc-sbs...-watch-review/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    I've owned all three brands. The Scurfa I tried on and put it back in the box about 5 minutes later- I sold it within the week. I found it a too chunky and hated the glare-prone crystal.

The Seiko (an SKX009) I kept for about six months. I bought it new in spite of the fact I dislike the date function and it had a day/date. It looked nice but time-keeping wasn't great and the fact it could not be hand wound to get it started were bothersome. It was also a bit thicker than I prefer.

I've owned a half dozen CWC divers and currently have three - a matte 2012 T dial quartz, a 2002 auto and a 2018 no date SBS. I'll likely pare it down to one when I buy a new house in a few years but am currently happy to wear all three.

As mentioned the Zeno PRS-3/4 is a good alternative to the CWC except that the sapphire crystal is prone to glare (as is my current SBS with its sapphire crystal).

SBS, auto and quartz
    The mid one looks absolutely lovely. The dial has faded in an amazing way. I would love to see a couple more pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    The mid one looks absolutely lovely. The dial has faded in an amazing way. I would love to see a couple more pictures!
    Thank you. The watch came to me this way, I bought the it on the SC from Tony (learningtofly) roughly 5 years ago. I wish I knew how the bezel got this way but I don't know for sure.

If anyone is interested here is a photo of two watches I used to own, a Zeno PRS-3 and a polished CWC quartz RN diver. They are very similar.

Very nice. I do believe Mario (Mariod) owned this one before Tony bought it from him. He may know how the bezel was faded.