timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seiko's Prospex LX line - SpringDrive Land, Sea and Air

Seiko's Prospex LX line - SpringDrive Land, Sea and Air

Land, sea and air.

Thoughts, experiences?

https://monochrome-watches.com/basel...g-drive-price/

These six SpringDrive watches were launched at Basel last year, and they're right in my wheelhouse. Big titanium units, SpringDrive, independent hour hands and a GMT hand.

Does anyone have any experience? The list prices are eye-watering, but I've got a lead on getting them here in Doha for about 35% off that.

The Sea version reminds me of a cross between the Seiko MM600 GMT SBDB001 I sold here a few months ago and an MM300 which makes it very appealing IMHO.
    Last edited by shalako; 23rd May 2020 at 16:55.

The SNR029 is really interesting but even with 35% off I couldn't justify it let alone over an SLA021. Also the crown looks a bit odd to me and I'm not a fan of power reserve indicators on dials.

Pricing is such a factor here - would need more than 35% to tempt me. The stealth Sea and regular Land I do find rather appealing however.

Thanks for the comments. both of the Land versions float my boat - I like them a lot. Would it be crazy to buy both, and then work out which I prefer? (Yes, yes it would.)

One of the regular Land versions sold on the Sc here a while back, listed for over £3k. Gives me hope...

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Thanks for the comments. both of the Land versions float my boat - I like them a lot. Would it be crazy to buy both, and then work out which I prefer? (Yes, yes it would.)

One of the regular Land versions sold on the Sc here a while back, listed for over £3k. Gives me hope...
    I don't remember seeing it on SC, but you're absolutely right. The satin finish on the regular Land is why I'd go for that. Also I believe the bracelets are better on this range compared to other Seikos?

Journeyman
    I like both the sea watches but I don't understand why the crown is so big, looks slightly out of proportion.

Read a review somewhere and the quality is supposed to be top notch.

Craftsman
    I'd like all three of these if it weren't for the power reserve indicator. Just too much dial space taken up.

I dont mind the power reserve indicator myself. I have it on my SD MM 600 It comes in quite handy but guess its a personal preference at the end of the day.

14.7 mm case thickness!

When, oh when, will Seiko produce a dive watch that does not look like one is wearing a big mac on one's wrist?
    And yes, those crowns are MASSIVE!

Super quality and I'd get one at 35% off.

It's a big bugger though- only those who have had their weetabix need apply. Here are some shots of the Diver I took in Bangkok

All three would be lovely if not so stupidly big!

Journeyman
    I actually quite like how the crown on the diver looks like a barnacle :) How appropriate!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    14.7 mm case thickness!

When, oh when, will Seiko produce a dive watch that does not look like one is wearing a big mac on one's wrist?
    And yes, those crowns are MASSIVE!
    I have tried this on an AD and it actually wears well than my MM300. Probably due to the titanium (lighter) case. But yeah, visually, it's real chunky. Just like tool watches like this should be, I guess?

I hope the bicolor bezel sells well so as to give confidence to Seiko to push for more colorways, and hopefully a more distinctive color set unlike this eerily familiar one

Land, sea and air.

Thoughts, experiences?

Thanks for the comments and the pictures, Ryan - really appreciate them!

I'm a big fan of the Land version, on the bracelet - I might give it a try.

Master
    Never had anything like that in terms of seiko but all very nice looking, I like the sea version a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks for the comments and the pictures, Ryan - really appreciate them!

I'm a big fan of the Land version, on the bracelet - I might give it a try.
    Are these available in Qatar then?

Yup - at least thre of them, the two Land, and the PVD Air.

I really like the look of all three but the diver is my favourite. Keep us posted if you go for it !

I REGRET NOTHING

Master
    I REGRET NOTHING

Wow!!! Thats going all in.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    All three would be lovely if not so stupidly big!
    My thoughts exactly...

Here's the first one. Pins and collars for the titanium bracelet, because of course. Only 155g (5 1/2 oz) on the full bracelet, which feels lighter than it might have been. Will have a play with the bracelet today, and get it sized, and then take some pics of the other one, too. I guess I've got to decide which I prefer...

Marinemaster case profile, I think. No drilled lugs, which surprised me, given the my last SD Landmaster, the bull-head one, was drilled.

Similar size to the SBGE001, of course, but slightly more macho - higher profile bezel, slightly bigger crown.

More soon.

I have to say, that looks amazing, and thickness looks alright too .

I'm pretty sure all ti bracelets have pins and collars, I believe threads in titanium are not a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post

I'm pretty sure all ti bracelets have pins and collars, I believe threads in titanium are not a great idea.
    Makes sense, though my Steel GS also has pins and collars, so no excuses there.

Here's the second one.

I've a thing for dumb black watches (cf. my Panerai). The dealer had neither of the diver's versions from this range, so I got on of the Land versions (the first one I posted) and one of Air versions. The Land has the compass bezel (dumbest complication ever), the Air has a 24-hour bezel - both friction with no clicks. Both are stiff and smooth, like me in high school.

The Air LX comes on a rubberised croc strap which reminds me of the Hirsch Leonardo - quite thick between the lugs. (Again, like me at high school.)

Same MarineMaster profile.

I'm probably only going to keep one. I thought I'd keep the Land, but I'm wearing the Air now, and my wife prefers the Air, and that matters to me.

I would have liked lume on the bezel, but then, I'm never happy.

I'll come up with some criticisms soon, when I've worn them for a bit. And resized that damn bracelet.
    Last edited by Qatar-wol; 25th May 2020 at 15:45.

No swearing!

The compass bezel is indeed useless, however it's a work of art with the engraving. Looks ace! But I do agree, the blackout on this air one looks pretty darn good. Frankly I'd be justifying to keep both, sufficiently different enough.....

How does it compare with the GS (my fav GS btw)?

Oops - editing the swearing! I'll have a think overnight, and get back to you!

Both look great to me so really tough choice, I think I just about prefer the land model but would be happy with either.

Oops - editing the swearing! I'll have a think overnight, and get back to you!
    Hehe thanks!

I totally sympathise with the bracelet. I’m still not over the trauma of sizing the titanium G

I looked longingly at these when they were announced, and realised that they were too expensive to have something wrong with every single one of them (for me, this is).
    Compass bezel - awful, so I can forget the land ones straight away.
    GMT missing on the Sea ones - huh? Just a marinemaster then.
    Okay, how about the air - nice bezel, greast, but wait. They downgraded the WR to 100m to differentiate them. That seems odd. Surely the 24-hr bezel is the differentiator?

To be honest, with the SBGE001, you had the beating of all of them already. Better (lumed) lezel, better WR, drilled lugs.
    I really do like the Air version, PVD or no, and to be perfectly honest, 100m is enough WR for me, so that would be my keepr of the two. But surely you will compare it to the SBGE and find it wanting? The hands with facets, the 24hr numerals on chapter ring not dial, the indices? No?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Okay, how about the air - nice bezel, greast, but wait. They downgraded the WR to 100m to differentiate them.
    But not an issue unless you are planning some over 100m dives??

It's the same case on the Land, but a slightly smaller in diameter crown. Is that the difference? Both screw-down, of course.

I really want to love the titanium Land version, but, I dunno. I like the black one as it's sufficiently different from the rest of my watches, but as Dave says, the SBGE001 is a better watch. More grown-up, too!

Master

I think the Land looks very utilitarian, different and high quality so I like it.

On the diver, for £200 more can get the GS spring drive diver SBGA229, so I don’t get the positioning or pricing of this.

The Air is a bit close to the GMT Master Batman.
    Last edited by ac11111; 26th May 2020 at 08:34.

Yeah, pricing is a bit all over the place, especially compared to the older titanium SD LAndmaster that I used to own.

Last few pics.

Bonus cat-butt.

I've put the Air on a C&B Chevron strap - annoyed that I missed the one on the SC with the PVD buckle!

We'll see which one sticks.

Sounds like you prefer the black so far, and about it being similar to the sbge001 there’s often no logic to this hobby just go with the one you prefer simple as that !

Yeah, pricing is a bit all over the place, especially compared to the older titanium SD LAndmaster that I used to own.

Last few pics.

Bonus cat-butt.

I've put the Air on a C&B Chevron strap - annoyed that I missed the one on the SC with the PVD buckle!

We'll see which one sticks.

And the black one looks superb in this last photo- Think it’s my preference now too, good luck deciding!

I do think those two photos of all 3 together prove my point perfectly.
    Everything on the SBGE001 is better.
    It is slimmer, the dial is in a different league, as are the indices and the hands, the drilled lugs are nicer, the differential case finishing (brushed/polished) is clearer and looks better (especially as it is not brand new).
    The Air one is black, which is something unique that it offers but the Land has nothing different to bring to the table.
    Your photos have done a great job of persuading me that the SBGE001 (or later version) is a very attractive package.

Dave

ps @bedlam - I did make that point about the WR myself. My issue is that it is a wierd differentiator for Seiko to deliberately make. Why downgrade one item in the range, other than just to make it different? It smacks of range engineering, rather than engineering.

Master
    Interesting to see them together.
    I love the Titanium Landmaster, I hoped it would pair well with my SBDW005 (Titanium kinetic Landmaster) but it's just too chunky for me. I prefer it to the PVD one, as I think it's just a bit too 'in your face'; I have somewhat gone off PVD finish watches and tend to just admire them now, rather than want them!

Any further thoughts on which you'll keep?

EDIT: As an aside, I think this line is all a bit strange in the Seiko marketing machine; as noted earlier, the Sea one doesn't make much sense when the GS Diver is such a small amount more money and arguably offers way more as a watch.
    It's a shame they're all so gargantuan though.

Craftsman
    Of the three I'd go with the land.

Interesting how different they look in your pics to the renders or marketing shots posted earlier.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    As an aside, I think this line is all a bit strange in the Seiko marketing machine; as noted earlier, the Sea one doesn't make much sense when the GS Diver is such a small amount more money and arguably offers way more as a watch.
    It's a shame they're all so gargantuan though.
    I don’t think the have a design and marketing machine, they just spin a large wheel and out pops a purple and gold zimbe samurai diver, and whatever comes out they must make. Sometimes they hit a winning combo out of sheer number of tries like the Land model or the green captain willard.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    I don’t think the have a design and marketing machine, they just spin a large wheel and out pops a purple and gold zimbe samurai diver, and whatever comes out they must make. Sometimes they hit a winning combo out of sheer number of tries like the Land model or the green captain willard.
    I can't believe I'm just finding out there's a purple and gold samurai!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pagan View Post
    I can't believe I'm just finding out there's a purple and gold samurai!
    Actually not samurai but sumo spb055j.

Not sure which is worse, Seiko Dracula which I also find absolutely revolting, reminds me of the Resident Evil monster
    Last edited by ac11111; 26th May 2020 at 21:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Ha ha fair point!

Master
    Lovely. Well done Qatarwol. Really like the black one. I also have an SBGE001, which is a lovely watch.

Mind you, since lockdown I've almost exclusively worn G Shocks

Sent from my SM-A405FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by LukeBird View Post
    Interesting to see them together.
    Any further thoughts on which you'll keep?
    Leaning towards this PVD model. It's odd - I really thought I'd prefer the Land in titanium - I've a history with other Landmasters, including your titanium Kinetic model - the first watch I ever dived with.

But the black is on my wrist as I type.

Quick couple of LX pics.

It really is a very flat watch - the surface of the bezel is flush with the crystal, and both are flat as your hat. I don't mind - it's something different from my Seiko GS, which is all curves.

And the PVD (or whatever it is) is very polished, very reflective, as is the ceramic bezel insert. The hour and minute hands are black, but the seconds hand, and the 24-hour arrow, are polished and grey, which I like. Sorry about the stain at 5 on the bezel.

Interesting how the black model looks very different in every photo you’ve posted so far! I always enjoy a watch that can look very different depending on the light. The side profile of your latest photo looks almost dark grey in that light
    Last edited by DANH; 30th May 2020 at 13:37.

Fresh pics today.

I got the other Seiko today - I'll give it a week, and see which I prefer. I took it off the bracelet to avoid scratches, and I'm happy with the canvas NATO it's on. The hands are polished metal and they catch the light nicely. I prefer the arrow GMT hand, too.

Craftsman
    Fresh pics today.

I got the other Seiko today - I'll give it a week, and see which I prefer. I took it off the bracelet to avoid scratches, and I'm happy with the canvas NATO it's on. The hands are polished metal and they catch the light nicely. I prefer the arrow GMT hand, too.

That's a very smart looking combination.

Where's that pull through canvas strap from?

It's a Haveston canvas strap, of the kind being discussed here - https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...st#post5428921

It feels like a good fit, despite the Seiko being already nearly 14mm thick.