timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko's Prospex LX line - SpringDrive Land, Sea and Air

Hybrid View

Seiko's Prospex LX line - SpringDrive Land, Sea and Air

Land, sea and air.

Thoughts, experiences?

https://monochrome-watches.com/basel...g-drive-price/

These six SpringDrive watches were launched at Basel last year, and they're right in my wheelhouse. Big titanium units, SpringDrive, independent hour hands and a GMT hand.

Does anyone have any experience? The list prices are eye-watering, but I've got a lead on getting them here in Doha for about 35% off that.

The Sea version reminds me of a cross between the Seiko MM600 GMT SBDB001 I sold here a few months ago and an MM300 which makes it very appealing IMHO.
    Last edited by shalako; 23rd May 2020 at 16:55.

The SNR029 is really interesting but even with 35% off I couldn't justify it let alone over an SLA021. Also the crown looks a bit odd to me and I'm not a fan of power reserve indicators on dials.

Pricing is such a factor here - would need more than 35% to tempt me. The stealth Sea and regular Land I do find rather appealing however.

Thanks for the comments. both of the Land versions float my boat - I like them a lot. Would it be crazy to buy both, and then work out which I prefer? (Yes, yes it would.)

One of the regular Land versions sold on the Sc here a while back, listed for over £3k. Gives me hope...

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Thanks for the comments. both of the Land versions float my boat - I like them a lot. Would it be crazy to buy both, and then work out which I prefer? (Yes, yes it would.)

One of the regular Land versions sold on the Sc here a while back, listed for over £3k. Gives me hope...
    I don't remember seeing it on SC, but you're absolutely right. The satin finish on the regular Land is why I'd go for that. Also I believe the bracelets are better on this range compared to other Seikos?

Journeyman
    I like both the sea watches but I don't understand why the crown is so big, looks slightly out of proportion.

Read a review somewhere and the quality is supposed to be top notch.

Craftsman
    I'd like all three of these if it weren't for the power reserve indicator. Just too much dial space taken up.

I dont mind the power reserve indicator myself. I have it on my SD MM 600 It comes in quite handy but guess its a personal preference at the end of the day.

14.7 mm case thickness!

When, oh when, will Seiko produce a dive watch that does not look like one is wearing a big mac on one's wrist?
    And yes, those crowns are MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    14.7 mm case thickness!

When, oh when, will Seiko produce a dive watch that does not look like one is wearing a big mac on one's wrist?
    And yes, those crowns are MASSIVE!
    I have tried this on an AD and it actually wears well than my MM300. Probably due to the titanium (lighter) case. But yeah, visually, it's real chunky. Just like tool watches like this should be, I guess?

Super quality and I'd get one at 35% off.

It's a big bugger though- only those who have had their weetabix need apply. Here are some shots of the Diver I took in Bangkok

All three would be lovely if not so stupidly big!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    All three would be lovely if not so stupidly big!
    My thoughts exactly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the first one. Pins and collars for the titanium bracelet, because of course. Only 155g (5 1/2 oz) on the full bracelet, which feels lighter than it might have been. Will have a play with the bracelet today, and get it sized, and then take some pics of the other one, too. I guess I've got to decide which I prefer...

Marinemaster case profile, I think. No drilled lugs, which surprised me, given the my last SD Landmaster, the bull-head one, was drilled.

Similar size to the SBGE001, of course, but slightly more macho - higher profile bezel, slightly bigger crown.

More soon.

I have to say, that looks amazing, and thickness looks alright too .

I'm pretty sure all ti bracelets have pins and collars, I believe threads in titanium are not a great idea.

Journeyman
    I actually quite like how the crown on the diver looks like a barnacle :) How appropriate!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I hope the bicolor bezel sells well so as to give confidence to Seiko to push for more colorways, and hopefully a more distinctive color set unlike this eerily familiar one

Land, sea and air.

Thoughts, experiences?

Thanks for the comments and the pictures, Ryan - really appreciate them!

I'm a big fan of the Land version, on the bracelet - I might give it a try.

Master
    Thanks for the comments and the pictures, Ryan - really appreciate them!

I'm a big fan of the Land version, on the bracelet - I might give it a try.
    Are these available in Qatar then?

Yup - at least thre of them, the two Land, and the PVD Air.

I really like the look of all three but the diver is my favourite. Keep us posted if you go for it !

Master
    Never had anything like that in terms of seiko but all very nice looking, I like the sea version a lot

Master

Seiko's Prospex LX line - SpringDrive Land, Sea and Air

I think the Land looks very utilitarian, different and high quality so I like it.

On the diver, for £200 more can get the GS spring drive diver SBGA229, so I don’t get the positioning or pricing of this.

The Air is a bit close to the GMT Master Batman.
    Last edited by ac11111; 26th May 2020 at 08:34.

Yeah, pricing is a bit all over the place, especially compared to the older titanium SD LAndmaster that I used to own.

Last few pics.

Bonus cat-butt.

I've put the Air on a C&B Chevron strap - annoyed that I missed the one on the SC with the PVD buckle!

We'll see which one sticks.

Sounds like you prefer the black so far, and about it being similar to the sbge001 there’s often no logic to this hobby just go with the one you prefer simple as that !

Yeah, pricing is a bit all over the place, especially compared to the older titanium SD LAndmaster that I used to own.

Last few pics.

Bonus cat-butt.

I've put the Air on a C&B Chevron strap - annoyed that I missed the one on the SC with the PVD buckle!

We'll see which one sticks.

And the black one looks superb in this last photo- Think it’s my preference now too, good luck deciding!

I do think those two photos of all 3 together prove my point perfectly.
    Everything on the SBGE001 is better.
    It is slimmer, the dial is in a different league, as are the indices and the hands, the drilled lugs are nicer, the differential case finishing (brushed/polished) is clearer and looks better (especially as it is not brand new).
    The Air one is black, which is something unique that it offers but the Land has nothing different to bring to the table.
    Your photos have done a great job of persuading me that the SBGE001 (or later version) is a very attractive package.

Dave

ps @bedlam - I did make that point about the WR myself. My issue is that it is a wierd differentiator for Seiko to deliberately make. Why downgrade one item in the range, other than just to make it different? It smacks of range engineering, rather than engineering.

Master
    Interesting to see them together.
    I love the Titanium Landmaster, I hoped it would pair well with my SBDW005 (Titanium kinetic Landmaster) but it's just too chunky for me. I prefer it to the PVD one, as I think it's just a bit too 'in your face'; I have somewhat gone off PVD finish watches and tend to just admire them now, rather than want them!

Any further thoughts on which you'll keep?

EDIT: As an aside, I think this line is all a bit strange in the Seiko marketing machine; as noted earlier, the Sea one doesn't make much sense when the GS Diver is such a small amount more money and arguably offers way more as a watch.
    It's a shame they're all so gargantuan though.

Craftsman
    Of the three I'd go with the land.

Interesting how different they look in your pics to the renders or marketing shots posted earlier.

Master
    Lovely. Well done Qatarwol. Really like the black one. I also have an SBGE001, which is a lovely watch.

Mind you, since lockdown I've almost exclusively worn G Shocks

Sent from my SM-A405FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    That’s a gorgeous watch!

Apprentice
    Am I right in thinking that the sea varient (aka mm300 bigger brother) only has a titanium bezel insert and not ceramic?

I've tried to find info on this and there doesn't seem to be anything that can officially confirm this either way.

Not sure if want a titanium bezel insert personally.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I've seen no mention of ceramic inserts, sorry.

Been wearing the LX Land today, and it's a great watch.

Craftsman
    Looks absolutely lovely.

I'm definitely tempted!

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Looks absolutely lovely.

I'm definitely tempted!
    It's seriously lovely. But it's no SBGE001.

Craftsman
    It's seriously lovely. But it's no SBGE001.
    I couldn't help but notice you had another one in the stable! The SBGE001 is still my favourite.. love it.

Master
    Beautiful watch that is, you have quite a soft spot for seiko pieces clearly

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Beautiful watch that is, you have quite a soft spot for seiko pieces clearly

I would have laughed at this a week ago, and shook my head, "No", but then I realised that about 5 from 9 of my watches at the moment are Seiko, so who even knows anymore?

I would have laughed at this a week ago, and shook my head, "No", but then I realised that about 5 from 9 of my watches at the moment are Seiko, so who even knows anymore?
    You can redress that balance by bringing the SBGE001 back to the UK to send to me in OCtober.
    Then it'll be 4 of 8, and 50% isn't too excessive

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    You can redress that balance...
    Ha, sorry!

The SBGE001 is the original GS watch, I think, and pre-dates both both these newcomers. And the 001 will be in my watch box long after the other two have flown, sorry. It's very close to the perfect watch.

(Pictured here with my afternoon Pimms.)

Oh well, worth trying

I like them but their are bigger than they need to be. And unless they are deeply discounted, I would rather have the nearest GS equivalent.

I sold stilgoes his LX that I had picked up from Steve,I then ended up buying the non LE version off SC a month or so ago, I also have skips GMT. I've gone from not having any Seikos to having 2 LXs, the quality is top notch, makes the Mm300 look poor

Love them both, the hands on the diver are better in my opinion than the GS diver

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chewitt13; 5th October 2022 at 20:16.